Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 15 Jan 2017, 10:20 (Ref:3702695)   #151
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

This is supposed to be a serious thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Sorry - thought I was in Tea Break; feel free to move !
Now done which makes Mike's post now look out of place!!!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 15 Jan 2017, 11:19 (Ref:3702705)   #152
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post

So kind of you John!
Old 15 Jan 2017, 17:04 (Ref:3702739)   #153
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Nice; thankyou JT
Old 15 Jan 2017, 23:56 (Ref:3702794)   #154
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-G Sjöberg View Post
I think if was for the same reason that Brabham changed the name of his first Formula Junior from MRD into Brabham.

And of course why in UK Vauxhall marketed the Nova - which surprisingly wouldn't go down too well sur le Continent, hence the Opel Corsa.....
Old 16 Jan 2017, 00:48 (Ref:3702807)   #155
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Same thing happened to Mitsu with the Pajero, they changed the name in all Spanish talking regions.
Although not a "genuine" Spanish word there are a few "Pajero drivers" about down here, and they are not all Spanish !! Obviously I'm not one of them
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Jan 2017, 07:04 (Ref:3702865)   #156
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I doubt it's going to affect many of us on here, but if you want to exercise the old grey matter, just read through the new car tax / ved rates that are starting in April.....

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...r-industry.pdf
Old 16 Jan 2017, 09:51 (Ref:3702890)   #157
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Autosports Show seems to have passed by almost unnoticed - did anyone go, & if so, was it worth the effort?
Old 16 Jan 2017, 10:01 (Ref:3702893)   #158
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
The Autosports Show seems to have passed by almost unnoticed - did anyone go, & if so, was it worth the effort?
One person I know that went said they a had a nice catch up with friends, but it's too expensive. And they arrived by public transport, so didn't have to pay the car park fee!
Old 16 Jan 2017, 12:06 (Ref:3702917)   #159
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went and enjoyed it. But, As some one else commented on the RR thread, it's a trade show really so if you go expecting to be entertained you are probably at the wrong show. They do the live action arena I suppose, but I have not been to that for a about 10 years.

I caught up with some old friends which was good, missed a few others, sadly, but still managed to catch up with some of the news and gossip which was good.

There was few new series announced, like the "Z Cars series" for BMW Z3 and 4. Must admit that I think they are entering a very competitive market as at a similar price point for a car, you already have the established Boxsters and the M3 Cup, and there is the BMW 330 series and the (probably cheaper) MX5 mk3 SuperCup. As a class within one of the other BMW series or within Track Day Triphy, CSCC or 750 Roadsports it may work well, but I'm not sure a s a stand alone new series it will work.

The Thursday and Friday used to be trade and licence holder days, but that stopped a few years ago. A big shame, I think! I did notice a couple of chavs drinking Lager at 0830 on the Friday morning as I waited to order a coffee, whilst waiting fir the doors to open. Sigh!

I have started to get more interested in rallying in the last few years and there were a few rally cars and stands about but not many, which is a shame. I think RR attracts more of the rally crowd. Interestingly and annoyingly, the HRCR holds its open day and forum at Gaydon on the same day as one of the Autosport days. It would be good if it was at the same venue so that there was a bigger rallying presence at Autosport. I can't justify 2 days away!

Last edited by andy97; 16 Jan 2017 at 12:13.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 13:46 (Ref:3702937)   #160
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I doubt it's going to affect many of us on here, but if you want to exercise the old grey matter, just read through the new car tax / ved rates that are starting in April.....

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...r-industry.pdf
Looks like you get screwed over if you buy a new motorhome (or indeed anything over £40k list).
Old 16 Jan 2017, 15:58 (Ref:3702955)   #161
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Looks like you get screwed over if you buy a new motorhome (or indeed anything over £40k list).
Yes. It makes buying anything over £40K and new after April 1st more expensive. Even zero emissions Tesla owners are going to have to pay £310 pa for 5 or 6 years- after the first free year. Then nothing again. All very confusing! BUT, wait 6 years and you will be able to run a 2017 vehicle with massive emissions (that for first year will pay £2000, then £450) for £140 tax, same as a VW Up! or similar will be.....

So simple....
Old 16 Jan 2017, 16:03 (Ref:3702957)   #162
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ASI - about the same as always.

I heard an exhibitor complaining "there were too many cars on display." And Andy reckons there were too many trade stands. So they must have it about right

the thing about ASI is that despite its name it's not designed for people who take part. As Mrs MM said years ago, if you see these cars racing regularly they mean nothing just stood still. It appeals to the spectator.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 16:04 (Ref:3702958)   #163
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yes. It makes buying anything over £40K and new after April 1st more expensive. Even zero emissions Tesla owners are going to have to pay £310 pa for 5 or 6 years- after the first free year. Then nothing again. All very confusing! BUT, wait 6 years and you will be able to run a 2017 vehicle with massive emissions (that for first year will pay £2000, then £450) for £140 tax, same as a VW Up! or similar will be.....

So simple....
By the time I can afford a 2017 vehicle it'll have changed again anyway so I'm not really worrying!!!!
Old 16 Jan 2017, 16:06 (Ref:3702959)   #164
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Kit cars presumably start to look like rather expensive toys.

I hope that Ministers will contribute to the costs of their armour plated limos.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 16:11 (Ref:3702960)   #165
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
ASI - about the same as always.

I heard an exhibitor complaining "there were too many cars on display." And Andy reckons there were too many trade stands. So they must have it about right

the thing about ASI is that despite its name it's not designed for people who take part. As Mrs MM said years ago, if you see these cars racing regularly they mean nothing just stood still. It appeals to the spectator.
I guess your first para kind of answers my question! The reason I asked was that in the past there has usually been two or three threads on here nattering about the Show, even if it was only to complain about sitting on the floor to eat an overly expensive burger! This year there seems to have been none of that, so presumably everyone was happy ...or did they just not bother to go?
Old 16 Jan 2017, 16:13 (Ref:3702962)   #166
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

So simple....
Not so massive emissions at the top end £2k first year.

So the challenge ... will the big expensive stuff actually be bought at all in any volume so that stock will be available after the first 5 years as a sensible price for administering its registration details?

I use the term "sensible price" with some reluctance. There is nothing about any specific penalty tax that should be thought of as sensible.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 17:22 (Ref:3702970)   #167
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Not so massive emissions at the top end £2k first year.

So the challenge ... will the big expensive stuff actually be bought at all in any volume so that stock will be available after the first 5 years as a sensible price for administering its registration details?

I use the term "sensible price" with some reluctance. There is nothing about any specific penalty tax that should be thought of as sensible.
The initial tax usually gets hidden in the purchase price, and if the vehicle is £120K or whatever, £2K likely won't be too painful! And most over £40K stuff is probably company purchased. It does mean though that anyone looking at buying a used car in the next few years will need to carefully check the ved on it. A car could feasibly be zero tax if first licensed in March, but £140 a few days later..... Same happened back in 2006. Disco and others in same tax band virtually doubled. Buy a used March 2006 one and save a load of annual dosh on one licensed in April! Daft.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 22:58 (Ref:3703035)   #168
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

Don't remember me saying that at all; would just like more rally stands and for the HRCR to run their open day simultaneously at the same venue.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 23:20 (Ref:3703040)   #169
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
The initial tax usually gets hidden in the purchase price, and if the vehicle is £120K or whatever, £2K likely won't be too painful! And most over £40K stuff is probably company purchased. It does mean though that anyone looking at buying a used car in the next few years will need to carefully check the ved on it. A car could feasibly be zero tax if first licensed in March, but £140 a few days later..... Same happened back in 2006. Disco and others in same tax band virtually doubled. Buy a used March 2006 one and save a load of annual dosh on one licensed in April! Daft.
But .... it's nearly always been daft one way or another.

The trouble is that with inflation and various "requirements" to be usable and useful on the road these days, the prices of quite ordinary cars for th e times have been creeping up.

You don't need to be buying anything close to a supercar to exceed 40k.

I suppose it's just the government tax machine ensuring they get a full cut of the PPI compensation claims.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 23:56 (Ref:3703043)   #170
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Don't remember me saying that at all; would just like more rally stands and for the HRCR to run their open day simultaneously at the same venue.
You started off with "It's a trade show really so anyone expecting to be entertained is at the wrong show."

Certainly hinted to me you thought there were too many trade stands. Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 19 Jan 2017, 09:01 (Ref:3703526)   #171
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Anyone got any reccomendations on selling a motorhome . . . . asides the obvious online website, it's chassis and layout is particularly suited the motorsport enthusiast.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 10:17 (Ref:3703539)   #172
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Anyone got any reccomendations on selling a motorhome . . . . asides the obvious online website, it's chassis and layout is particularly suited the motorsport enthusiast.
Saga Magazine, hundreds of OAPs winter over in Spain on the beaches, and most of them aren't new age traveller converted lorries but new top of the range all singing dancing jobs !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 19 Jan 2017, 11:53 (Ref:3703562)   #173
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I'm expecting some punitive penalties on older diesels sometime soon.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 11:55 (Ref:3703563)   #174
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
If it's particularly suited to M'sport you could try Racecars Direct website.

Or Saga.....
Old 19 Jan 2017, 12:05 (Ref:3703564)   #175
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I'm expecting some punitive penalties on older diesels sometime soon.
Well, they're already taxed on the level of their emissions. Looks like the government has gone for the easy target- new cars.

I think it's likely we will see more severe access restrictions in cities for vehicles, probably based on which Euro rating they are. Or higher charges for the higher polluters.....