Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 Jul 2018, 13:49 (Ref:3838298)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Dave Maraj

Sad to see that Dave Maraj, the former boss of Champion Racing, lost his life in a boating accident. I loved the swirly designs on Porsches and then the iconic Audi R8 and was gutted when the team closed its doors in 2008. A great loss to American motorsport.
Old 23 Jul 2018, 16:41 (Ref:3838326)   #2
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Sad to see that Dave Maraj, the former boss of Champion Racing, lost his life in a boating accident. I loved the swirly designs on Porsches and then the iconic Audi R8 and was gutted when the team closed its doors in 2008. A great loss to American motorsport.
Sad to hear this. And, yes, I also loved the Champion Racing cars, especially, with their reflective swirls. Tim Crete of FastDetails.com was the premier photographer of these cars and he taught me a lot. Just looked up to see what Tim was doing and here is what I missed...

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2013/1...tim-crete.html

Appreciate what you have.
Old 24 Jul 2018, 07:09 (Ref:3838428)   #3
Samoan Attorney
Racer

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
Sad to hear this. And, yes, I also loved the Champion Racing cars, especially, with their reflective swirls. Tim Crete of FastDetails.com was the premier photographer of these cars and he taught me a lot. Just looked up to see what Tim was doing and here is what I missed...

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2013/1...tim-crete.html

Appreciate what you have.
Tim Crete........... a sad loss. Like his boss, Dave Maraj.

Tim and I exchanged occasional long-winded emails once he had quit the motor sport business, he was certainly a thinker, perhaps too much of one in this strange world we live in.

Sound advice you give.
Old 24 Jul 2018, 07:58 (Ref:3838439)   #4
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Sad loss, both of them.

I too liked the Champion cars. It's one of the few 1/43 models I really really wanted to have in my working room.
RIP Dave

As for Tim, I used to visit his site many many years ago, until the updates became less frequent. Never really noticed what happened to him, even though I am a DSC regular (and have been since the start)
Old 15 Nov 2019, 13:13 (Ref:3940732)   #5
floridarandy
Rookie

floridarandy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim Crete and Champion Racing

It's been nearly 6 years since Tim's death and over a year since Dave's. After Tim's death, and as his older brother, I held on to the thousands of Tim's racing photos. As I was moving them to a new computer today I thought to google his name, finding the kind posts from the racing community. I was especially glad to see this thread since it shows just how deep Tim's talent and character reached into the racing community.

In 2014, after Tim's death, Dave Maraj reached out for Tim's photos so he could include them in a wonderful table top book, "Champion Racing - A Little Bit of Magic", he produced for friends and business associates. Those were grand years for all involved and will long be remembered by racing enthusiasts.

I'm attaching one of my favorites from 2003 Lemans.
Attached Thumbnails
CRETE_R8_2003-03_LEMANS_54_STD.jpeg  
Old 16 Nov 2019, 04:05 (Ref:3940864)   #6
kevin993
Rookie

kevin993 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ummm.... Wow. Wish I had better words, but thanks much for posting. Brings back a lot of FastDetails memories... Thank you and best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarandy View Post
It's been nearly 6 years since Tim's death and over a year since Dave's. After Tim's death, and as his older brother, I held on to the thousands of Tim's racing photos. As I was moving them to a new computer today I thought to google his name, finding the kind posts from the racing community. I was especially glad to see this thread since it shows just how deep Tim's talent and character reached into the racing community.