Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Mar 2001, 20:17 (Ref:68967)   #1
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Just read this at F1 News:

[quote]The major car manufacturers involved in grand prix racing have threatened to form a breakaway championship if the Kirche group goes ahead pay-per-view F1 coverage.
The German media giant is negotiating to purchase a 75 per cent of SLEC, the holding company that owns the television rights to cover F1 races.
Kirche are one of the prime movers in pay-per-view sports broadcasting and are known to have pay-per-view plans for coverage of the football World Cup.
However, the manufacturers involved in F1 oppose the Kirche takeover, fearing that pay-per-view will massively cut the sport's global audience. The car makers have also threatened to form a breakaway series if the deal goes ahead.
Speaking in his capacity as chairman of the European Automobile Manufacturers' Association, Paolo Cantarella, Fiat chief executive, said the manufacturers would consider setting up "an alternative championship".
The carmakers will not accept assurances from Kirch that there are no plans to restrict F1 broadcasting to Kirch's digital pay-per-view operations.
However, Dieter Hahn, Kirch's managing director reiterated that the firm will not restrict F1 to pay-per-view
"We are interested in Formula 1 as a worldwide asset," he said. "It is a rights trading, rights development, and events business, which we understand a lot about and can fruitfully contribute to."
The manufacturers' group lobbying against the Kirche takeover is made up of Fiat (Ferrari), Ford (Jaguar), Mercedes, BMW and Renault. Honda and Toyota are also set to join this alliance.

My first thought was "Oh NO! This is terrible!" But then...

Think seriously for a moment. This could be the way forward. If the manufacturers were to run the show, we could just see a return to slicks and wide cars. I appreciate the FIA will still mandate tech. regs, but the drivers are ALL saying the same thing in terms of how to promote good racing: Lose the wings and return to slicks. And the team managers know this too...

I realise that Bernie Ecclescake has done an awful lot to promote the sport, but it could also be said that he's done a lot to stifle it too. Transmission contracts and pricing of tickets for starters. Kirche might well end up holding a large bag of 'Formula One Administration' nothing...

What do you think - would this be as bad as it sounds?
Old 6 Mar 2001, 20:51 (Ref:68972)   #2
Racer X
Rookie

Racer X should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Bernie's getting old and selling us out. He's trying to take his money and running, while screwing us up at the same time. My two cents

Last edited by Racer X; 6 Mar 2001 at 20:52.
Old 6 Mar 2001, 20:58 (Ref:68976)   #3
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think so, Racer X.

I think kirche are the major players upsetting the scheme of things here...

Last edited by Sparky; 6 Mar 2001 at 21:00.
Old 6 Mar 2001, 22:03 (Ref:69003)   #4
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the F1 name?

I was just wondering if the manufacturers were to start up there own racing championship it obviously couldn't be called "Formula 1" right? I think this would be a huge loss because all the history and prestige that is identified as F1 would be transformed into something new. Which I don't like the sound of.
Also I don't see the problem that the car manufacturers have with Kirch if they aren't planning on making F1 only available on Pay-Per-View or Pay-TV? Basically all that's happening is that Bernie won't have the monopoly on F1 that he had. Why do the car maufacturers care about this? I am sure there is more to this issue if someone could explain I for one would be greatful.