Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

View Poll Results: Whether at the race or at home, will you stay up for the full 24 hours?
Definitely! 10 35.71%
Hopefully 6 21.43%
Probably Not 7 25.00%
Definitely Not! 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 May 2012, 13:51 (Ref:3080588)   #1
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Staying up for the whole race...

A few friends and I are planning to go to the race next year, yet none of us have been before. Is it naive of us to expect to stay awake for the whole race, or will we succumb to tiredness? I ask this question as we collectively do not have the funds to buy a camping ticket.
Old 28 May 2012, 13:58 (Ref:3080593)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The biggest problem with staying awake all night would be if you were planning on driving home any distance afterwards.

You can always sleep in your car during the race although I believe they have clamped down on people putting tents up in the carpark (as we did in our first visit in '97).

Compared with the cost of a ferry crossing and fuel (and entry tickets) the camping isn't too expensive if split several ways (one per car). This also allows you to make a longer trip out of it and therefore getting better value.
Old 28 May 2012, 14:07 (Ref:3080599)   #3
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
The biggest problem with staying awake all night would be if you were planning on driving home any distance afterwards.

You can always sleep in your car during the race although I believe they have clamped down on people putting tents up in the carpark (as we did in our first visit in '97).

Compared with the cost of a ferry crossing and fuel (and entry tickets) the camping isn't too expensive if split several ways (one per car). This also allows you to make a longer trip out of it and therefore getting better value.
Yes don't worry we would stay in a hotel for a night or two to catch up on rest before traveling back. So the camping isn't so bad cost wise then, thanks for the info!
Old 28 May 2012, 14:54 (Ref:3080622)   #4
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I'd say the camping part is half the fun of the week/weekend.

Handy for a few hrs shut-eye in the night.
Old 28 May 2012, 15:04 (Ref:3080625)   #5
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
I'd say the camping part is half the fun of the week/weekend.

Handy for a few hrs shut-eye in the night.
I couldn't agree more. A campingticket split three ways would set you back no more then 25 pounds p/p. I'd strongly reconsider if I were you guys...
Old 28 May 2012, 16:02 (Ref:3080646)   #6
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Agree that the camping is a great part of the experience.

We went back for a couple of hours kip to the tent last year. I don't think I really got a lot of sleep and the whole time I just felt like I was missing the action - which I was. I certainly didn't feel any better when I got up.

I'm driving this year but planning to stay up for the duration, then crash out immediately after the race before driving home the next morning. A lot of people talk about staying up for the whole 24 hours, but in reality you're up for something around 32+ hours.

It's only once a year (for most) so why not.
Old 28 May 2012, 17:30 (Ref:3080685)   #7
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
well the cost is pretty irrelevant as a beasjour camping tickets is pretty well the same price as a parking ticket and if you pick one up on e abay just before the race it may even be cheaper
Old 28 May 2012, 17:41 (Ref:3080695)   #8
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Agree that the camping is a great part of the experience.

We went back for a couple of hours kip to the tent last year. I don't think I really got a lot of sleep and the whole time I just felt like I was missing the action - which I was. I certainly didn't feel any better when I got up.

I'm driving this year but planning to stay up for the duration, then crash out immediately after the race before driving home the next morning. A lot of people talk about staying up for the whole 24 hours, but in reality you're up for something around 32+ hours.

It's only once a year (for most) so why not.
The fact that the couple in the tent next to us decided to have a blazing row and split up while we were trying to get some kip didn't help.

I'd say it makes you feel worse tham you would otherwise. I'll be taking a blanket and wrapping up at the really early hours so if I nod off, I nod off and I'll be warm (and Simmi will be awake to make sure I'm alright).

Edit to add: Last year at half 5 we stumbled over to the star finish straight, feeling groggier than a big jug of grog, only to have the Robertson GT40 thunder past and waken the dead.
Old 28 May 2012, 17:45 (Ref:3080699)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones94 View Post
A few friends and I are planning to go to the race next year, yet none of us have been before. Is it naive of us to expect to stay awake for the whole race, or will we succumb to tiredness? I ask this question as we collectively do not have the funds to buy a camping ticket.

Are you serious?????

One night a year. For me, the most important night. The idea of sleeping through the night at Le Mans is close to heresy for me. The night is the best part of Le Mans and should not be missed. You can catch up on sleep any time. Dare I say, get an early night on Friday night instead.
Old 28 May 2012, 17:56 (Ref:3080709)   #10
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Longest I've survived is 22 hours when I was 15, taking a quick nap between 2.30 and 4.30 am. I'm 18 now so I expect to make it for the whole race.

It's perfectly do-able so long as you stay off the Kronenberg. If you fail to do so, the combination of beer, noise and heat will probably cause you difficulties come Sunday lunchtime.

How serious are you about keeping up with what's going on? If you're really interested in the race, and little else, I'd reccomend staying up for it but if you want to soak up the atmosphere, I'd try and accept you might want to take a couple of hours shut-eye before sunrise (which you absolutely must not miss - under any circumstances!), although there are points in the race on the Sunday during the day which become incredibly dull.

Incidentally, no amount of espresso was able to keep me awake last year watching it on Eurosport, although when you're there you don't notice how tired you are untill you sink into bed when you get back to your first normal bed!
Old 28 May 2012, 17:56 (Ref:3080710)   #11
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
I couldn't agree more. A campingticket split three ways would set you back no more then 25 pounds p/p. I'd strongly reconsider if I were you guys...
Ah that is good! Camping it is then.
Old 28 May 2012, 17:56 (Ref:3080711)   #12
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sleeping while the race goes on is unthinkable to me. I usually take less than an hour of sleeping, but I didn't sleep last year.
Old 28 May 2012, 17:57 (Ref:3080712)   #13
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
well to be honest most evenings are late that week and sleep in short supply, not stayed up all night for years, but my alarm clock has always got me up before daybreak and I watch the dark turn to light between 4.00 and 6.00 in the morning then head back and grab a few hours of sleep.
By the way the alarm clock I am referring to is the need for a pee, always works after a few beers in the campsite saturday evening
Old 28 May 2012, 17:58 (Ref:3080714)   #14
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Are you serious?????

One night a year. For me, the most important night. The idea of sleeping through the night at Le Mans is close to heresy for me. The night is the best part of Le Mans and should not be missed. You can catch up on sleep any time. Dare I say, get an early night on Friday night instead.
Well this is what I thought.
Old 28 May 2012, 18:38 (Ref:3080724)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
.....although when you're there you don't notice how tired you are untill you sink into bed when you get back to your first normal bed!

I remember staying up all night in 2010, and then on Sunday night, going to a posh restaurant with James, Tony and Trussers and it was as much as we coud do to eat our food without falling asleep over our foie gras, make polite race-relevant conversation and then head off to bed........
Old 28 May 2012, 18:44 (Ref:3080728)   #16
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
showing off again andrew " dinner with trussers"
Old 28 May 2012, 18:55 (Ref:3080733)   #17
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I only reason i have needed sleep during the race is because of getting trashed for 3 consecutive days/nights previous. My body just goes into shutdown.
Old 28 May 2012, 18:56 (Ref:3080734)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
showing off again andrew " dinner with trussers"
Something I've done quite a few times over my 26 years at Le Mans...... Paul was a guest of the Tourists (as here with Chief Tourist Ian in 2004 - reading the media guide!) several times and has also shared his substantial wisdom with James, Tony and I over a curry a few stones throws from Silverstone......
Attached Thumbnails
04_10.jpg  

Last edited by Aysedasi; 28 May 2012 at 19:05.
Old 28 May 2012, 19:22 (Ref:3080741)   #19
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know it is not the same as I was at home but last year I managed to get up at 7:30 AM Saturday and then stay up until 11 PM on Sunday for the Canadian GP.

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 28 May 2012, 19:24 (Ref:3080742)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well, I guess James, Tony and I will be up around 8.30-9ish am on the Saturday and will not be sleeping again until about 10pm or later on the Sunday - what's that? About 37 hours?
Old 28 May 2012, 19:58 (Ref:3080768)   #21
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
No way i would try that as usually have to drive home on the sunday night, also i find a few hours sleep lets me enjoy the rest of the race rather than keep nodding of
Old 28 May 2012, 20:00 (Ref:3080771)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well, we don't have far to go back after the race and don't wander off home until mid-morning on Monday. That's the way I like it - no rush......

The problem with enjoying the rest of the race is that more often than not, Sunday lunchtime and afternoon isn't a patch on the excitement during the night.....
Old 28 May 2012, 20:05 (Ref:3080781)   #23
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
not sure i agree with that both last year and the year before the night was not really that great, with accidents and pace cars not exactly adding to the excitement, don't get me wrong i will always see several hours of night racing but happy to miss a few hours at night and a few in the morning
Old 28 May 2012, 20:09 (Ref:3080787)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
True, there was more to watch on Sunday pm in 10/11 - but I've seen some fairly dull processions to the end , particularly as teams cut speeds on Sunday afternoon when there's nothing but a finish to go for.....

But then we've debated this before Simon many times and we'll never totally agree. It's horses for courses, but I just want to get home to any first-timers just how incredible the night is at Le Mans. I'd hate to hear of someone coming to Le Mans for the first time and then sleeping through the majority of the night racing.....
Old 28 May 2012, 20:12 (Ref:3080791)   #25
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I used to marshal the race I usually got about 4 hours sleep during the race. The trouble is I would wake up if a certain car did not come through on schedule unless it was a routine stop. I have never stayed awake throughout the 24 hours.