Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 26 Jan 2019, 08:10 (Ref:3878735)   #1151
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Made me think of the other BMW Art Cars, so found this.....

http://www.artcar.bmwgroup.com/en/art-car/

Reckon my favourite is the 320i- or the Frank Stella CSL. In reality I’d take any of them!
Old 26 Jan 2019, 08:12 (Ref:3878736)   #1152
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Made me think of the other BMW Art Cars, so found this.....

http://www.artcar.bmwgroup.com/en/art-car/

Reckon my favourite is the 320i- or the Frank Stella CSL. In reality I’d take any of them!

I've got a model of the Roy Litchenstein 320i
Old 26 Jan 2019, 08:15 (Ref:3878737)   #1153
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That was history in the making! BMW’s one and only Le Mans win? Seem to remember the car sounded pretty awesome as well.....
Yes, I think the only BMW win, unless you include the BMW-powered McLaren.
Old 26 Jan 2019, 08:34 (Ref:3878740)   #1154
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Didn't remember this nice barquette. For a CSL, the ersatzteile was fine. I enjoyed the liveries showing a partial hollow view, from memory Ellen Lohr Merc or Hugo Boss 934. Have to check or will be said ridiculous again!
Old 26 Jan 2019, 08:38 (Ref:3878741)   #1155
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
There is one at the entry of the Nürburgring museum. Please John can you help me when I say " c'était la mode de peindre les capots en trompe l'oeil un peu Ã* la façon d'une boîte de sardines Ã* demi ouverte"? One of the semi-official 934, may be Wollek the fantastic, showed on its sides a hollow view of the driver. May be Michèle could help…
Old 26 Jan 2019, 08:51 (Ref:3878743)   #1156
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Didn't remember this nice barquette. For a CSL, the ersatzteile was fine. I enjoyed the liveries showing a partial hollow view, from memory Ellen Lohr Merc or Hugo Boss 934. Have to check or will be said ridiculous again!
Ellen Lohr's E-Klasse in '95 or -96 DTM was painted to look as though the bonnet was peeled back, partially revealing the 'engine'.
Old 26 Jan 2019, 08:52 (Ref:3878744)   #1157
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
There is one at the entry of the Nürburgring museum. Please John can you help me when I say " c'était la mode de peindre les capots en trompe l'oeil un peu Ã* la façon d'une boîte de sardines Ã* demi ouverte"? One of the semi-official 934, may be Wollek the fantastic, showed on its sides a hollow view of the driver. May be Michèle could help…

Later I have to go out now! The snow's all disappeared this morning.
Old 26 Jan 2019, 09:02 (Ref:3878748)   #1158
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
The 24 hours were the theater of strange things sometimes. I remember stories from my ex-enemy then good bloke Raymond Touroul. May be it was '96, a rear tyre blows in the Hunaudières straight totally wrecking the rear wing. He came back to the pits to replace the tyre but the "commissaires" forced him to change the wing before going back to the race. Of course no spare…*Eventually his mechanic was sent into the VIP parking to "find something convenient", the fishing weapon being shears. Several minutes, many rivets and meters of tape later, the Porsche went on its way. What is fun is that the "borrowed" part belonged to a Porsche high-ranking person…
Because the catch was good, when they had to find a windshield at Monza, they used almost the same method… Funny days!
Old 26 Jan 2019, 09:03 (Ref:3878749)   #1159
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Ellen Lohr's E-Klasse in '95 or -96 DTM was painted to look as though the bonnet was peeled back, partially revealing the 'engine'.
Vielen danke mein Herr, think it was a 190/16 S tho.
Old 26 Jan 2019, 10:47 (Ref:3878762)   #1160
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
E.B, I guess you're not waving any UJ flag because what Mike quoted as Australia day is also said… Invasion Day! Be careful in the bush!
Old 26 Jan 2019, 10:50 (Ref:3878763)   #1161
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
In John's absence, something along the lines of "it was the fashion to paint the panels 'trompe l'oeil' (ie an optical illusion) a little like a can of sardines half open. "

If you are asking for examples I cant find any although I am aware of them.

Edit: I think I may have missed the point you were making Gérard with the translation. If so my apologies!

Last edited by E.B; 26 Jan 2019 at 11:13.
Old 26 Jan 2019, 10:59 (Ref:3878764)   #1162
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
E.B, I guess you're not waving any UJ flag because what Mike quoted as Australia day is also said… Invasion Day! Be careful in the bush!
Hehehehe the joys of retirement had me not realising it was now.... I knew it was this week sometime, but it was only when a neighbour invited me to their Australia Day BBQ/Party earlier (excuse for a booze-up) I realised it was today. I did my bit and drank Australian red! No Kangaroo steaks on offer though. Sausages and chops (plus tomato ketchup) which seemed quite English

The Aussies were happy though because they won the cricket!

Last edited by E.B; 26 Jan 2019 at 11:05.
Old 26 Jan 2019, 11:01 (Ref:3878767)   #1163
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Like this https://www.ebay.fr/itm/233064587834
or this http://motorsportmodeller.blogspot.c...edes-benz.html
or this CLK http://www.nanospeeders.com/mini6z/Mini-z.htm
Old 26 Jan 2019, 11:04 (Ref:3878769)   #1164
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
The Aussies were happy though because they won the cricket!
Please, E.B, take care, sometimes a dinner invitation means you'll not enjoy the meal but… you ARE the main course! Keep your hat on… PS Some say, red australian could act as an anesthetic…*In any circumstance dont say "eat me"…………

Last edited by Gerard C; 26 Jan 2019 at 11:09.
Old 26 Jan 2019, 11:08 (Ref:3878770)   #1165
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe in the current circumstances we should select something appropriate from previous artists and hits. Any suggestions? I’ll start with Moody Blues and ‘Go Now’.....

How's about 'You've lost that leaving feeling' by the Righteous Bretheren
Old 26 Jan 2019, 11:17 (Ref:3878772)   #1166
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
If the model and spec was available int he sixties then it is eligible for CSCC Seinging Sixties even if the actual chassis is 72.

Also for HSCC/HRSR Historic Touring Cars, I think.
Old 26 Jan 2019, 11:19 (Ref:3878773)   #1167
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Because everybody must be satisfied, DVBBS "Never leave"… or Led Zep' "I'm gonna leave you" or Scorpions "Wind of change" !

Last edited by Gerard C; 26 Jan 2019 at 11:26.
Old 26 Jan 2019, 11:24 (Ref:3878774)   #1168
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
With this one, you're all done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PJWRKkMpHM
A real angel, the bag pipes are for John E! Nobody on earth and elsewhere can beat her. Done you are!

Amazing .......... really.
Old 26 Jan 2019, 13:00 (Ref:3878779)   #1169
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Compression tests

Sorry to talk engines but what's the thinking on compression testing, hot engine or cold? I've read conflicting thoughts on the matter.
Old 26 Jan 2019, 13:26 (Ref:3878783)   #1170
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Sorry to talk engines but what's the thinking on compression testing, hot engine or cold? I've read conflicting thoughts on the matter.
My school of thought is that this should be done as close to normal operating temperature as possible. That should give you the most realistic results as 'everything' should be at the correct size due to expansion etc. Plus, as the engine has obviously been running there should be sufficient lubrication everywhere too.
Old 26 Jan 2019, 14:11 (Ref:3878790)   #1171
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Yup, I always told that the engine should be at operating temperature so all clearances were also.
Old 26 Jan 2019, 14:13 (Ref:3878791)   #1172
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My Top Ten Brexit songs;

Maybe Tomorrow - Everly Bros.
That'll Be The Day - Buddy Holly
It's late - Ricky Nelson
What a Crazy World We're Living In - Joe Brown
Bridge Over Troubled Waters - Simon and Garfunkel
Doncha Thing It's Time - Elvis
So Long I'm Gone - Roy Orbison
Don't Leave Me This Way - Ricky Nelson.
Sick and Tired - Fats Domino

Sorry to show my age … but … how about....

Final Exit - Fear Factor?
Old 26 Jan 2019, 14:15 (Ref:3878792)   #1173
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yup, I always told that the engine should be at operating temperature so all clearances were also.
Surely Tim should have known that!!!
Old 26 Jan 2019, 14:23 (Ref:3878794)   #1174
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Surely Tim should have known that!!!
Tim did think that but after reading some people testing cold I wanted to get more opinions from people that I would actually trust to know, not just some unknown YouTube or internet warrior.
Old 26 Jan 2019, 14:36 (Ref:3878797)   #1175
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Tim did think that but after reading some people testing cold I wanted to get more opinions from people that I would actually trust to know, not just some unknown YouTube or internet warrior.
Very sensible Tim I am sorry I ever doubted you.