Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 22 Apr 2006, 01:58 (Ref:1591417)   #1
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TV rights : Fox pays $120 mil for soccer, whats in it for Supercar?

The TV rights issue got more interesting with Fox paying $120 mil for seven (7) years for what seems to be the A League & the proposed expansion into Asia.
With the rights to the other codes nailed down, are the V8s the last of the bigger TV sports to be negotiated ?
The terms of most contracts makes the TV sport landscape predictable in the next few years - will that help the V8s negotiate, will it open the door for other entertaining classes to expand their coverage?

Interesting times ahead !!
Old 22 Apr 2006, 02:11 (Ref:1591421)   #2
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
The TV rights issue got more interesting with Fox paying $120 mil for seven (7) years for what seems to be the A League & the proposed expansion into Asia.
With the rights to the other codes nailed down, are the V8s the last of the bigger TV sports to be negotiated ?
The terms of most contracts makes the TV sport landscape predictable in the next few years - will that help the V8s negotiate, will it open the door for other entertaining classes to expand their coverage?

Interesting times ahead !!

Some changes to Foxtel Digital coming up on May 1st..

- Some of the sports channels are getting shifted around on digital..
- ESPN is going from 511 to 508
- Eurosport News is going from 509 to 514
- Fuel is going from 513 to 516
- A1 is going from documentaries 617 to to 517
- Main Event is going from 928 to 518
- Sky Racing is going from 515 to 519
- Sky News launches it's new logo to bring it into line with Sky UK
- An announcement will be made regarding Setatnta Sports being carried.

.......are they getting ready for Fox Sports 3

edit...there is a press release/rumour getting around that Fox has signed up all the domestic 1 day games for 06/07 + all 20/20 games and the Pura Cup Final.(for 7 years)

Last edited by retro; 22 Apr 2006 at 02:18.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 22 Apr 2006, 02:20 (Ref:1591422)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can V8Supercar achieve these kinds of numbers?

Short answer is yes, but I dont think the package is there yet.

Imagine a V8Supercar series running 20 rounds, every 2nd weekend. A predictable calendar and television package. This would give us 40 weeks of television, of V8Supercar.

This kind of thing you can give to a television network to play with.. something predictable in timing.. and you can go hunting for something in the off weeks.. maybe more motorsport.

The higgledy piggldy rag tag fantasy that is the 2006 calendar (the rubbish with Sandown is still around, China swapped for Winton on a different date, and #10's treatment of R1 at Pukekohe) suggests there is still a LOT of work to do...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 22 Apr 2006, 02:29 (Ref:1591423)   #4
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
& the cost of the production

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Can V8Supercar achieve these kinds of numbers?

Short answer is yes, but I dont think the package is there yet.

Imagine a V8Supercar series running 20 rounds, every 2nd weekend. A predictable calendar and television package. This would give us 40 weeks of television, of V8Supercar.

This kind of thing you can give to a television network to play with.. something predictable in timing.. and you can go hunting for something in the off weeks.. maybe more motorsport.

The higgledy piggldy rag tag fantasy that is the 2006 calendar (the rubbish with Sandown is still around, China swapped for Winton on a different date, and #10's treatment of R1 at Pukekohe) suggests there is still a LOT of work to do...
And its much more expensive to cover motorsport at a circuit once every so often compared to less cameras at a footy ground (eg MCG ) used multiple times on a weekend.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 02:32 (Ref:1591427)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Absolutely. It may not help that #10 is unable to do much of their coverage in house, with the RedMax/Global mob rented at an hourly rate at each round... in the old days, #7 did it all in-house... which has to be cheaper!
Old 22 Apr 2006, 02:43 (Ref:1591435)   #6
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes but since those days no one has any 'in-house' equipment left - thats where Global et al all started from.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 03:30 (Ref:1591463)   #7
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Head Rev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro

edit...there is a press release/rumour getting around that Fox has signed up all the domestic 1 day games for 06/07 + all 20/20 games and the Pura Cup Final.(for 7 years)
No rumour, it was announced the other day, obviously you must have been away for the past few days as it has been headline news on all the major news services, etc.... very interesting outcome along with the soccer.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 03:33 (Ref:1591466)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline
Yes but since those days no one has any 'in-house' equipment left - thats where Global et al all started from.
If you watch some of the #10 broadcasts, in the closing credits they mention that the ABC supplies technology to their in-car camera setups....

Ah for the old days of Artransa and all the new innovations coming out of Epping NSW...
Old 22 Apr 2006, 03:37 (Ref:1591469)   #9
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Very true, the cost for networks owning their own equipment has long since gone, technology changes so fast that the only way to effectively use todays equipment is by leasing or bringing in an outside supplier - such as Gobal etc. The networks these days don't have huge areas to store the gear either, just look at what Ch 10 in Adelaide is moving into..... (Cnr Hutt st & Wakefield St).
Old 22 Apr 2006, 03:38 (Ref:1591470)   #10
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Rev
No rumour, it was announced the other day, obviously you must have been away for the past few days as it has been headline news on all the major news services, etc.... very interesting outcome along with the soccer.
It's a pretty comfortable ROCK I live under.....

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 22 Apr 2006, 03:41 (Ref:1591472)   #11
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
[QUOTE=GTRMagic]If you watch some of the #10 broadcasts, in the closing credits they mention that the ABC supplies technology to their in-car camera setups....[QUOTE]
I know Ch 7 developed the initial in car cameras - did Ch 2 then extend this and further enhance it?

In which case - does Ch 2 still own the patent for the equiment they developed? Giving credit such as this would indicate maybe they do (time to do another patent search - obviously they haven't made the mistake of not paying the annual patent fee which one Australian company did in the late 90's thus losing any claim over their you-bueat electronic timing equipment and allowing the Dutch to suddenly 'catch up'!)
Old 22 Apr 2006, 03:42 (Ref:1591473)   #12
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro
It's a pretty comfortable ROCK I live under.....
OUCH
Old 22 Apr 2006, 03:45 (Ref:1591475)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Quote:
If you watch some of the #10 broadcasts, in the closing credits they mention that the ABC supplies technology to their in-car camera setups....
I know Ch 7 developed the initial in car cameras - did Ch 2 then extend this and further enhance it?

In which case - does Ch 2 still own the patent for the equiment they developed? Giving credit such as this would indicate maybe they do (time to do another patent search - obviously they haven't made the mistake of not paying the annual patent fee which one Australian company did in the late 90's thus losing any claim over their you-bueat electronic timing equipment and allowing the Dutch to suddenly 'catch up'!)
The ABC were developing their own technology while the mob at #7 were perfecting RaceCam. I can recall Aunty broadcasting the Sandown 500, with a government supplied camera system in Jim Keogh's BMW 635... yonks ago now.. but they obviously have their own capability and capacity to do perform this work...
Old 22 Apr 2006, 03:47 (Ref:1591476)   #14
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Any news on the new start time of Race 1 which has been delayed to huge accident in the Porsche race????
Old 22 Apr 2006, 03:47 (Ref:1591477)   #15
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
It was 7's that went over to the US and NASCAR IIRC wasn't it?
Old 22 Apr 2006, 04:46 (Ref:1591511)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
It was 7's that went over to the US and NASCAR IIRC wasn't it?
It was Artransa's RaceCam technology... till the Americans built their own infrastructure and decided they didnt need the Aussies any more

I still see HQ Holden drivers with video cameras bolted to their roll cages when they go out... so the spirit is still alive
Old 22 Apr 2006, 04:57 (Ref:1591515)   #17
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Quote:
It was Artransa's RaceCam technology... till the Americans built their own infrastructure and decided they didnt need the Aussies any more

I still see HQ Holden drivers with video cameras bolted to their roll cages when they go out... so the spirit is still alive
Pretty sure it was 10 I saw put a camera in an SBR car at a test day at the paper clip. They just wrapped it with duct tape to the roll bar and away they went......it was Wayne Gardner......and the footage was on Sports Tonight that night.

Old 22 Apr 2006, 04:58 (Ref:1591516)   #18
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Not just HQ's - virtually any state level car seems to do it these days (even recall one HQ many years ago go streaking past the old start finish line with video tape flowing out the passenger side window. Never did catch up with him to see what, if anything, he managed to film in that race!
Old 22 Apr 2006, 06:48 (Ref:1591555)   #19
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Most club level guys that I know have at least one camera in their car, I actually have a couple of bullet cams focused on different areas of the car for development work.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 06:56 (Ref:1591559)   #20
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
With the permission of CofC each time I trust?
Old 22 Apr 2006, 07:00 (Ref:1591562)   #21
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Fox Sports payed $120 Million for the soccer for 7 years, thats $17.14 Million a year.

Soccer is watched less then V8 supercar, but is a growing sport.

Ten currently pays about $3-5 Million a year for the v8's...

This figure would suggest that Channel 10 is getting the v8's supercars at a bargain basement price at the moment.

I think the v8's rights are worth about $20 million a year at least.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 07:07 (Ref:1591564)   #22
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Thats a very subjective figure.

For $20 million you would expect to see racing in other categories - not just processions and the front 6 or 8 cars all the time.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 08:03 (Ref:1591575)   #23
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
For $20 million you would expect to see racing in other categories - not just processions and the front 6 or 8 cars all the time.
Hmmm how much was paid to see a certain team win virtually every race in F1? a lot more than $20 Million.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 08:11 (Ref:1591580)   #24
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
F1 has a much better following and generates a helluva lot more income than V8's could ever hope for. It is also followed in more than 2 countries.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 08:16 (Ref:1591584)   #25
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
F1 has a much better following and generates a helluva lot more income than V8's could ever hope for. It is also followed in more than 2 countries
Not going to argue that aspect, but it was true, (Hopefully it will not resort , to being that again)it was a "one horse race" (prancing horse?)and a staggering amount of money, was poured into what were races with very predictable outcomes.

Last edited by Robert Ryan; 22 Apr 2006 at 08:21.
Closed Thread