Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 30 Aug 2018, 08:39 (Ref:3847021)   #16
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Ok, we can count with Audi WRX departure from today. Will EKS keep running those cars as privateers? That is the question.
Although it seems like Audi are pulling out, I would like to see the story reported by one of the major news sites before I take it as fact.
Old 30 Aug 2018, 12:55 (Ref:3847056)   #17
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi has announced two campaigns for next year, Formula E and DTM according to German Motorsport Total.

https://www.motorsport-total.com/wrx...m-ein-18082901

According to sources parcferme.no has been in contact with, Audi is pulling out. One source said that they are apparently not interested in rallycross anymore and added further that there weren't enough of committed manufactures to electric cars.

Parcferme has tried to contact Ekström but without luck and Bakkerud didn't want to comment on the matter.

Interestingly at the end of the article, Ekström told Pure Rallycross last year before the contract for this season that he had such a big interest for rallycross that if Audi weren't interested he would look for an another manufacture to work with.

https://parcferme.no/rallycross/andr...tten-fra-audi/
Old 30 Aug 2018, 19:51 (Ref:3847115)   #18
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!
Audi leaving EKS not good for EKS and WRX.
I don't see a new manufacturer join the series.
Next season at EKS: Ekstrom + paydriver?

I think the whole Audi factory backing was because of Ekstrom. They have a long history together and as a sort of gesture they joined EKS. There was no real strategy behind joining rallycross.
Old 30 Aug 2018, 23:50 (Ref:3847155)   #19
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Even if there are less manufacturers, privateers can get sponsors thanks to IMG's involvement, right?
Old 31 Aug 2018, 09:15 (Ref:3847181)   #20
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Even if there are less manufacturers, privateers can get sponsors thanks to IMG's involvement, right?
Not enough to compete. It's the usual story - series is successful, manufacturers arrive, costs go up, manufacturers leave, series collapses as costs not sustainable.
Old 31 Aug 2018, 15:17 (Ref:3847250)   #21
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Yes but costs have exploded in recent years.
Old 31 Aug 2018, 18:47 (Ref:3847283)   #22
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Costs ahve always been high

A top Supercar has cost well over 250k SECOND HAND for years now.

That was OK when the sport was populated by rich businessmen who could afford to buy one now and then.

But now they cost more and cost three or four times that to run.

The registration fees are insane, as are a lot of other costs.

it is not just the manfacturers, IMG went with it and never thought of the consequences, cretins like that never do.

Look at al the things that have risen and fallen over the years, Group B, Group C, ITC, Super Touring, WEC to some degree. Group A touring cars,

I always expected WRX to have a short life, you could just tell by the way it exploded, with no real content or thought. It was packaged, sold and totally changed before you had time to think.
Old 31 Aug 2018, 21:01 (Ref:3847300)   #23
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Look at al the things that have risen and fallen over the years, Group B, Group C, ITC, Super Touring, WEC to some degree. Group A touring cars,
Whilst I agree with most if that list Group B never made it to that stage - that was still very much in the "arms race" phase when it was killed off. Who knows what the final Group B cars would have been like if it had run its course.
Old 1 Sep 2018, 12:17 (Ref:3847375)   #24
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Group B would have become Group S, that was the plan, and let us all remember it was not really the cars (other than Lancia) that were the problem, it was the events organisers and the spectators in some countries.

As Group B cars had a perfect safety record in rallycross, not many fires (Alamaki had a bad one in Austria) but their safety record was excellent.

What I meant was the manufacturer war, Group never really had a chance to decline, but you could see it coming.

Group A rallying certainly had a peak and decline as did the World Rally Car era, ending up with just Citroen and Ford. But at one time Skoda, SEAT, Peugeot, Hyundai, Suzuki, Subaru and Mitsubishi.
Old 19 Sep 2018, 10:55 (Ref:3851405)   #25
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No Mettet in the 2019 calendar.

https://mailchi.mp/mpacreative/fia-w...9?e=b54d66c2f0

Not a great bit of news. I really liked the track plus it was an easy one to get to from the UK. Perhaps the rumours about Spa are true?
Old 19 Sep 2018, 11:46 (Ref:3851410)   #26
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
They want to go to venues in countries that people KNOW, and people KNOW where Spa is, it is linked to existing motorsport, this seems to be the drive behind IMG and their track policy.

Again, they care about one thing, money and reputations, nothing else.

Why Lydden is gone, why Hockenheim and Barcelona appeared and why Spa will too likely.

Instead of working with what is there, they want venues they can build themselves, no doubt because they are also involved and can earn from it.
Old 19 Sep 2018, 11:52 (Ref:3851411)   #27
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
They want to go to venues in countries that people KNOW, and people KNOW where Spa is, it is linked to existing motorsport, this seems to be the drive behind IMG and their track policy.
It is slightly ironic that Mettet was a new IMG circuit (one of the first) with ImG moving it from Maasmechelen to a bigger venue. Now we are talking as if Mettet was a stalwart.

It's a shame to lose it. As you say Steve it was close to Calais, offered good viewing and some good races too.

Spa isn't much further but I do worry about where the circuit will go and if it will either be pokey or have bad viewing due to hills and trees.
Old 19 Sep 2018, 14:11 (Ref:3851423)   #28
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Mettet was not an IMG track, I think it was a venue that was on the verge of building a rallycross track and like Lydden and a few others IMG gave them a sort of nudge to do so. I doubt IMG had a hand in any of it, but I think they do in the newer tracks like Latviz, Silverstone, Barcelona and Hockenheim when it ran.

What I feel is that IMG are trying to do what the Supercross and MXGP and speedway and the like do and take a team to venues to BUILD a track for the contract length, obviously they don't pay for it, this is all paid for by the venue/promoter, IMG pay nothing.

Do you think WRX has outgrown it? I do not. I feel it is a fairly poor track for fans, seeing that you can only watch from certain areas, but again, that is seemingly what IMG wants, big stands, overlooking a central arena type, RC racing deal.

Mettet has a long history of motorsport, the track was built yes for rallycross, and with WRX in mind clearly, but WRX feel they have outgrown that venue. It has been used for a few other things too.

They have a clear directive, and that is to take RX to F1 locations as often as possible.

I have no real idea why, but as with the pre-existing venues they don't give a toss about what has been spent to build them, they only think they can sell more tickets at an F1 venue. And then charge the track for the build or the consultation.

And Silverstone proved, that doesn't always work, decent though the crowd was, I doubt it was significantly bigger than Lydden.

But what I am betting is that Silverstone PAID a lot more to have it than Lydden, hence the insane pricing.
Old 19 Sep 2018, 19:05 (Ref:3851464)   #29
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Mettet was not built for rallycross.
Old 19 Sep 2018, 19:28 (Ref:3851466)   #30
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
On facebook of RX Inside a reaction from someone who says also Höljes and Buxtehude will be replaced.