Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Nov 2018, 18:16 (Ref:3862182)   #16
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Thatís because he Ďimpededí them on an out lap....ie the rule doesnít apply so he wonít be getting away with anything, because there was no rule broken

driving off the weighbridge, damaging it and putting marshals at risk on the other hand is explicitly against the rules
Who drove off the weighbridge?
Old 10 Nov 2018, 18:19 (Ref:3862185)   #17
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!
Vettel rolled back off the temp weigh bridge but then as he drove forward over them the get back to his pit box it has apparently damaged the rear scales.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 18:20 (Ref:3862186)   #18
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Not entirely sure about the word "explicitly" there. The section regarding the weighbridge in the sporting regulations doesn't have anything to do with driving off, damaging it or anything else of the sort. You could maybe get him for some sort of dangerous driving penalty, but then that's not explicitly for the weighbridge.

Unless someone can point me to this explicit rule.
As usual that user fabricates whatever suits his position. There is no clause that stipulates that impeding another driver can only be penalized if that other driver is on a hotlap (which Kimi still was). Hamilton languished on the racing line for no reason and made a dangerous move too late. Clear cut penalty if there ever was one.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3862187)   #19
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Not entirely sure about the word "explicitly" there. The section regarding the weighbridge in the sporting regulations doesn't have anything to do with driving off, damaging it or anything else of the sort. You could maybe get him for some sort of dangerous driving penalty, but then that's not explicitly for the weighbridge.

Unless someone can point me to this explicit rule.
Was mentioned on the coverage that drivers have to be pushed off the weighbridge not drive off it
Old 10 Nov 2018, 18:23 (Ref:3862188)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Vettel rolled back off the temp weigh bridge but then as he drove forward over them the get back to his pit box it has apparently damaged the rear scales.
Ok, thanks. I can't remember ever hearing about the weighbridge being damaged before, at a GP.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 18:23 (Ref:3862189)   #21
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This "you said something about my driver, so I'm saying something about your driver" nonsense would be slightly better if we based it on some sort of fact.

There is nothing about driving on and off the weighbridge in the rules. In fact, driving off of it is normal - that's how it's done. It's also quite normal for the rear pads to move because of the forces on them. That's why they have marks on the ground, so the marshals can line them up again.

Fun facts: There's nothing in the regulations about driving off and on the weighbridge, however, it explicitly states that the maximum weight of a trophy is 5kg. Which means the trophy provider can violate the sporting regulations. The crap you find in these rule books is amazing.

Edited: 5kg. Not 5gb. Jesus, we can't measure trophies in gigabytes.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 18:23 (Ref:3862190)   #22
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
As usual that user fabricates whatever suits his position. There is no clause that stipulates that impeding another driver can only be penalized if that other driver is on a hotlap (which Kimi still was). Hamilton languished on the racing line for no reason and made a dangerous move too late. Clear cut penalty if there ever was one.
And as usual you can never seem to criticise Vettel. Letís leave it up to the stewards, as they have a far better understanding of the rules than either you or me, but if there was a rule for impeding drivers on an out lap then every driver would be penilised in every qualifying session because theyíre all getting in the way on their outlaps. Ie both stroll and Hamilton were both on outlaps
Old 10 Nov 2018, 18:24 (Ref:3862191)   #23
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgert should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgert should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
There is no clause that stipulates that impeding another driver can only be penalized if that other driver is on a hotlap (which Kimi still was). Hamilton languished on the racing line for no reason and made a dangerous move too late. Clear cut penalty if there ever was one.
I think the move on Sirotkin was far more dangerous than the move on Kimi.
Hotlap or not: both moves were clumsy and at least one was dangerous.

As for Vettel: that was stupid and clumsy too.

From the coverage, it is unclear when exactly he was called on the weigh bridge. He did 3 runs in Q2. A single lap on supersofts, a outlap - timed lap - inlap on softs, and a outlap - timed lap(?) - inlap at the very end.
Was that when he came in to switch from supersofts to softs? Or after his very last Q2 run?

This has nothing to do with Vettel or not, but I think they should not weigh cars while the session is going on. They should/could do so after qualifying is completed, or after Q1 / Q2 is over.
If they weigh during the session, it seems a bit random and unprifessional to me, and can put cars at a disadvantage.

Last edited by gert; 10 Nov 2018 at 18:31.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 18:24 (Ref:3862192)   #24
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Was mentioned on the coverage that drivers have to be pushed off the weighbridge not drive off it
Doesn't say that in the sporting regulations, and it's pretty normal for cars to drive off of it in most series.

Vettel maybe broke a rule. Lewis maybe broke a rule. It isn't a points scoring contest. Except for penalty points or something.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 18:26 (Ref:3862193)   #25
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Doesn't say that in the sporting regulations, and it's pretty normal for cars to drive off of it in most series.

Vettel maybe broke a rule. Lewis maybe broke a rule. It isn't a points scoring contest. Except for penalty points or something.
Indeed. Hense I said let the stewards decide, they know far more than me or sprinkles ever will.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 18:34 (Ref:3862196)   #26
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Right. So clear cut penalty for Vettel then. A breach of sporting regulations 29.1, not stopping his car when requested to do so. As confirmed by Jo Bauer

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...ng-weighbridge
https://www.fia.com/file/74025/downl...token=8Dk4HzgE

For the benefit of Sprinkles....itís not nothing, and is on page 24 of the regs if you want to brush up on it

Iím happy to concede Hamilton did something wrong if the stewards deem him to have broken a rule....it was clumsy driving nevertheless
Old 10 Nov 2018, 18:35 (Ref:3862197)   #27
crmalcolm
Veteran

Italy
crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!
Quote:
From Autosport -
Once the weighing was complete, Vettel drove off the scales under the car's own power - which Bauer said "destroyed" them.

"As the driver was not following the instructions and further compromised the continuation of the weighing procedure, I am referring this matter to the stewards for their consideration," Bauer stated.

Vettel has been summoned to the stewards for allegedly breaching Article 29.1.a.i, which tells drivers to stop their engines when being weighed "and/or" Article 12.1.1.i of the FIA's International Sporting Code, which refers to the "failure to follow the instructions of the relevant officials for the safe and orderly conduct of the event".
Old 10 Nov 2018, 18:35 (Ref:3862198)   #28
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Here's the onboard, so people can make sure they've seen it before commenting: https://streamable.com/h8fo3

As it shows, Vettel is in a hurry but he explicitly follows the instructions of the guy when he waves him off, the guy even gives him an extra push.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 18:36 (Ref:3862199)   #29
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
This has nothing to do with Vettel or not, but I think they should not weigh cars while the session is going on. They should/could do so after qualifying is completed, or after Q1 / Q2 is over.
The reason they stopped that is because the teams would adjust the car for the final run and have it weighed as legal. The obvious example is "water cooled brakes" where the teams ran illegally underweight and topped up the water towards the end of the race to be legal. I recall, but can't find a link about it, a team which did the same in qualifying and for the final run would add a set of tyres that had water in it to meet the minimum. Madness.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 18:39 (Ref:3862200)   #30
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Here's the onboard, so people can make sure they've seen it before commenting: https://streamable.com/h8fo3

As it shows, Vettel is in a hurry but he explicitly follows the instructions of the guy when he waves him off, the guy even gives him an extra push.
And refuses to turn his engine off as confirmed by Jo Bauer, so DOESNT explicitly follow instructions... therefore a breach of the regs

Also do my eyes deceive me or did Vettel drive at the FIA Steward before he had moved out of the way. Naughty boy....could have taken his ankles off

Last edited by ascarracinguk; 10 Nov 2018 at 18:45.