Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 14 Jan 2022, 13:16 (Ref:4093733)   #101
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
It does seem that, according to him, at least one MP has been dealing with the lady mentioned and even employing her son as his "diary manager" for about a decade, all of that time reporting back to "the authorities", including MI5 (if I read the article correctly.)

Interesting timing of what seems to be non-news for anyone in the loop.

Anyone outside the loop is probably wondering what the big deal might be in these days of "globalisation".

I really don't think that it is a "no-news" event, as it proved in Australia a short time ago, although it doesn't seem to have had the same result as over there.

There, a Chinese national had ingratiated himself within the political sphere in Canberra, supposedly, if I remember correctly, as a conduit between Aussies and the Chinese community living in Australia. But what he was actually doing was very subtly trying to get legislation made favourable to Chinese government interests by lavishing huge amounts of cash to all and sundry in political circles.

We must not forget that the Chinese under Xi have a very different agenda to the "West". I often wonder if he will only be happy when he has "conquered" the world. He is already very successful i that endeavour in Africa, and is making huge inroads in South America as well, with "ginormas" loans made to them that, realistically, they will never be able to repay.
Old 15 Jan 2022, 04:30 (Ref:4093815)   #102
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems to me that China is a dangerous country to be dealing with. They have edged their way into so many different things around the world they are close to domination. Look at Ebay and Amazon, nothing but Chinese products, but one thing that baffles is the vat loophole the Chinese have by sending their crap to Holland first vat free, yes the British"government"know about it but do nothing. Close that loophole and see what happens.
Old 15 Jan 2022, 11:45 (Ref:4093833)   #103
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If the consumers, at all levels, of the worlds outside China were to decide they would not buy anything with Chinese made content the world's economy would probably collapse in less than a month.

There are probably very few products that do not contain CN made components or that are produced using equipment that does not have CN made components.

For the past 20 years - in fact probably since Hong Kong was returned to Chinese control officially rather than acting as a "Western" interface for Chinese manufacturing output with "Made in Hong Kong" embossed on everything - economics and green posturing has provided a two pronged excuse to shut down "dirty" industries and make stuff "more cheaply" than would be possible under Western regulations.

So long as there is enough spare "wealth" floating around to fund such policies China can siphon it away and use part of it to fund its influence in Africa, South America and anywhere else it feels that payments could be useful. British and American politics for example.

Or for sending Chinese students to Western Educational establishments from secondary schools to Universities and thus make those places evolve economic models that rely on the Chinese students funded by wealth previously transferred to China.

Ms. Lee seems to be an interesting case. Brought up in Northern Ireland, twice married, a family with her second husband, a qualified solicitor and multiple entrepreneur with several registered companies and lives in leafy Solihull apparently.

The alleged payments, or whatever they may be called, are reportedly a few hundred thousand pounds over several years. Who knows if those numbers are accurate?

From what have read this morning this seems like small beer and a rather typical British "Foreign Spy" coming from a largely homegrown background.

To make real money the recipients really should be seeking Russian and former USSR countrymen or friendships in the Middle East, not a middle-aged solicitor from Birmingham who seems to have been around for quite a long time.

Does Ms. Lee, in MI5's opinion, present a bigger threat than, say, Tony Blair?

More importantly, could one find the right personal connections for some alleged nefarious activity opportunities to get her to hand over enough money to go racing for a season or two?
Old 16 Jan 2022, 00:43 (Ref:4093921)   #104
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
On a different note, some "b*****d" has stolen my phone/ keys and gate fob to our joint in Spain !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Jan 2022, 10:58 (Ref:4093977)   #105
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
On a different note, some "b*****d" has stolen my phone/ keys and gate fob to our joint in Spain !
That's a real bummer
Old 16 Jan 2022, 22:53 (Ref:4094062)   #106
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

While you are over there? I can see the phone going, but what use are the keys/fob? PITA, whatever - my sympathies.
Old 17 Jan 2022, 07:11 (Ref:4094102)   #107
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Very bad thing to have a cell phone away nowadays containing many contacts and sometimes secured datas or remote payment means…
Old 17 Jan 2022, 15:06 (Ref:4094142)   #108
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My race truck has gone for MOT today and I think when it comes back it will have passed a significant milestone. These are good old English miles, not softy kilometres.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 17 Jan 2022, 17:10 (Ref:4094158)   #109
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Seems to me that China is a dangerous country to be dealing with. They have edged their way into so many different things around the world they are close to domination. Look at Ebay and Amazon, nothing but Chinese products, but one thing that baffles is the vat loophole the Chinese have by sending their crap to Holland first vat free, yes the British"government"know about it but do nothing. Close that loophole and see what happens.

Terence, I am intrigued by your comment about Chinese goods and the Netherlands because as far as I am aware no non-EU countries supply goods with VAT added. However, once landed and the goods leave the port of entry, the Netherlands' authorities levy their own VAT.

I would imagine the same applies in Germany; goods arrive from outside the EU VAT free, but the importer has to pay German VAT in order for the goods to be released from the port of entry.
Old 17 Jan 2022, 18:37 (Ref:4094160)   #110
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Things are changing here, we have now to pay for import duty on goods coming from China whan all was free few months ago. Not too late imo.
Old 18 Jan 2022, 08:00 (Ref:4094216)   #111
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
This loophole was closed by eBay comparatively recently, and goods from UK based Chinese sellers became 20% more expensive.

Whether the tax is being declared or an additional 20% banked is yours to decide. I do think eBay at least are on top of this though.

Old 19 Jan 2022, 04:33 (Ref:4094345)   #112
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
This loophole was closed by eBay comparatively recently, and goods from UK based Chinese sellers became 20% more expensive.

Whether the tax is being declared or an additional 20% banked is yours to decide. I do think eBay at least are on top of this though.

Thanks Max, hadn't heard that. Not before time though, was it. But still the Rubbish poors in.Not just eBay but also Amazon.

Last edited by terence; 19 Jan 2022 at 04:47.
Old 19 Jan 2022, 11:44 (Ref:4094370)   #113
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
While you are over there? I can see the phone going, but what use are the keys/fob? PITA, whatever - my sympathies.
My phone wasn't locked and had lots of info on it including our address, so anyone could get into our place with the gate opener and door keys. Obviously I got the locks changed immediately.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 19 Jan 2022, 16:58 (Ref:4094414)   #114
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
My phone wasn't locked and had lots of info on it including our address, so anyone could get into our place with the gate opener and door keys. Obviously I got the locks changed immediately.
So Gordon, they know where you live, and have keys, obviously they will intend to come back and ransack the place. Best pretend to go away, luggage etc, and then sneak back in and wait with a shotgun,
Old 19 Jan 2022, 18:56 (Ref:4094432)   #115
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Bob, please, some words are better to be said than written on a forum, dont you think so?
Old 19 Jan 2022, 19:55 (Ref:4094447)   #116
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Notwithstanding the attempts at humour, I do hope you are both safe and well. It's a salutory lesson and one which we should all take note of.

Fingers crossed you got things sorted in time.

For the rest of us, we might consider changing passwords etc. since we may be in Gordon's address book.
Old 20 Jan 2022, 09:04 (Ref:4094533)   #117
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
So Gordon, they know where you live, and have keys, obviously they will intend to come back and ransack the place. Best pretend to go away, luggage etc, and then sneak back in and wait with a shotgun,
I think a silver tray and a capsicum should do the job.
Old 20 Jan 2022, 18:28 (Ref:4094619)   #118
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I think a silver tray and a capsicum should do the job.
Oblige him/them to listen to Mireille Mathieu songs during hours! Note, this could be illegal in some countries…
Old 21 Jan 2022, 04:09 (Ref:4094667)   #119
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Oblige him/them to listen to Mireille Mathieu songs during hours! Note, this could be illegal in some countries…

So it should be.
Old 22 Jan 2022, 20:31 (Ref:4094914)   #120
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 2022 season started @Mallory today after a 3 week winter break.
The only change from last year is the Catering Operator, and if today was anything to go by, I'd say it's for the good.
It was a Javelin Track Day with lot's of MX5's & BMW Minis.
There were only 2 Historic Circuit Racers, a Midget and a Mark 1 Escort.
Fastest car out by quite some way was a GT3 911 be he couldn't break the 50 second mark,
A nice peaceful start to the season, with no red flags and the Medics spending a warm day in the Med Centre, let's hope it lasts.
Old 23 Jan 2022, 11:54 (Ref:4094994)   #121
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I'm trying to get together a series of Trackdays for the Alfa Romeo Owners Club, might try to include a Mallory event....
Old 23 Jan 2022, 11:55 (Ref:4094995)   #122
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Donington noisy today. First time this year that I have heard anything.

Javelin Track day apparently.
Old 23 Jan 2022, 12:45 (Ref:4094998)   #123
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Donington noisy today. First time this year that I have heard anything.

Javelin Track day apparently.
Get the track closed Grant, it'll increase the value of your house

Old 23 Jan 2022, 17:06 (Ref:4095012)   #124
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Get the track closed Grant, it'll increase the value of your house
That's why we bought a place a few miles away from Almeria race circuit, can't stand noisy race cars !
Old 23 Jan 2022, 19:03 (Ref:4095029)   #125
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same with me and Mallory.