Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 5 Sep 2012, 19:18 (Ref:3131528)   #1
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Black flag/red flag

Hiya guys and girls, quick question. While watching some racing footage of British F3 in the 1989 season, there were a few race stoppages and the black flag was the flag shown to stop the race. Being a 1985 child with motorsporty parents, I'd watch the racing but not understand the flag rules until I was something like 8 or 9, and I've forgotten that the black flag was the race stoppage flag. When did it change to red? And why? Any particular catalyst for the change?

Here's the video in question, 1m10 in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVYnnxWMXWg
Old 5 Sep 2012, 19:21 (Ref:3131533)   #2
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the change was to ensure consistency between MSA and FIA regulations.
Old 5 Sep 2012, 19:41 (Ref:3131541)   #3
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
was changed either 90 or 91 - at the time I seem to remember that the reason given was greater visibility at the flag points.
It was a red flag at the start line - then blacks all the way round.
but I'm sure an old flaggie will be along with the truth soon enough
Old 5 Sep 2012, 20:13 (Ref:3131565)   #4
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in New Zealand we only used red flag to end races... during one of the Formula 5000 events it was explained to the visiting drivers especially those from the USA and Canada not to stop on track and bring the cars in the pit lane... black flags were not even part of our bag on station.

in the US, we get both black and red flags, we use what race control calls for.
Old 6 Sep 2012, 07:23 (Ref:3131814)   #5
Norbert
Racer

England
Norbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
was changed either 90 or 91 - at the time I seem to remember that the reason given was greater visibility at the flag points.
It was a red flag at the start line - then blacks all the way round.
but I'm sure an old flaggie will be along with the truth soon enough
I can't confirm the year but the reason for the change is correct!

Prior to the use of the black flag at marshals' posts it was even more confusing! When the red flag went out at the startline each post displayed crossed yellow and oil flags (yes they were called oil flags at that time).

Does that make me an old flaggie???!!!
Old 6 Sep 2012, 11:42 (Ref:3131948)   #6
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Blue Book 1990
Quote:
J.1.10.5 . . . stopped by the simultaneous display of the Black flag at all Flag Marshalling Posts. (This signal may be supplemented by red 'lollipop' discs.)
Blue Book 1991
Quote:
J.1.10.5 Competitors will be warned that the race has been stopped by the simultaneous display of the Red flag at all Flag Marshalling Posts.
Red lollipop discs Don't remember that and certainly never remember seeing any.

Regards

Jim
Old 6 Sep 2012, 11:50 (Ref:3131956)   #7
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
You need one of these for "change of surface"

Old 6 Sep 2012, 11:50 (Ref:3131957)   #8
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Blue Book 1990

Blue Book 1991

Regards

Jim
Haha, you must have one helluvan attic Jim. You've kept blue books from back then?!!!
Old 6 Sep 2012, 11:52 (Ref:3131959)   #9
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
Haha, you must have one helluvan attic Jim. You've kept blue books from back then?!!!
1990 is nothing, I bet Jim has the original Azurite Book!
Old 6 Sep 2012, 12:00 (Ref:3131972)   #10
mjpiotr
Rookie

Poland
Alexandria, VA
mjpiotr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, they still use black flag on all stations in the USA. However, rules vary between clubs and even series. In SCCA club races black on all stations means proceed to pits, red: stop racing, stop by flag station. Then, Midwestern Council does not use red on stations with the exception of the bridge and they use black and yellow to stop race, and it means 'no overtaking, proceed to pits'. And SCCA pro racing uses red in the same way as FIA rules (AFAIK). I wish they adopt the FIA rules everywhere as what is now is extremely confusing, not only for marshals :-)
Old 6 Sep 2012, 12:45 (Ref:3132001)   #11
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1980 appears to be the oldest I can find, but then I have not completed indexing* all my books yet. That may correspond to when rescue crews started to get a free BB. My yellow book collection runs from 1970 to 1983 but I seem to recall the price got silly.

Regards

Jim

(*Since you ask - Readerware and 2500 captured so far. Now moving to ones with no barcode and then no ISBN which slows things up.)