Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

View Poll Results: new mini - yes or no?
yes 13 34.21%
no 24 63.16%
well i don't know really 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 Sep 2004, 12:18 (Ref:1103786)   #1
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
new mini - should i get one?

it's car swapping time, and i have to upgrade from a clio 172. i'm not allowed to downgrade (that includes things like bmw 318's).

i'm battling with the idea of getting a new mini. battling in that i want one, i just don't want the image that comes with them.

pros include :
- well built
- handle well (apparently)
- reasonably roomy (for 2 people)
- look cute

cons include :
- look cute
- too girly
- everyone's got one
- interior's a bit daft

obviously i'd go for a supercharged one (either get a cooper and supercharge it myself or wait around for a second hand proper one).

what do you think? would you? do you like them?

the alternatives are : 3 series compact, audi a3 1.8t sport, and any more suggestions are welcome.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 12:50 (Ref:1103808)   #2
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No brainer - take a look around you - do you really want to be associated with the that drive BMW's & especially Audis - estate agents - and worse !

Last edited by Bluebottle; 22 Sep 2004 at 20:03.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 12:51 (Ref:1103809)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Go for the A3.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 13:00 (Ref:1103824)   #4
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Toyota Yaris is good and certainly better than a Clio.

Last edited by Ian Sowman; 22 Sep 2004 at 13:01.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 13:04 (Ref:1103827)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Bella, my girlfriend has the standard mini and I have to admit I thoroughly enjoy going out with her in it. It's roomy inside but the boot space is severely limited, rather like the original mini. I actually find the interior quite nice (horrible expression I know) but it's certainly easy to live with.

On the alternatives, would you be able to get a Civic Type-R? I've had mine for almost two years and still grin ear to ear every time I get in it. It;s a hooligan of a car.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 13:13 (Ref:1103836)   #6
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The problem is with Civic Type Rs is they're often owned by men of a certain age, like Stephen and my dad.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 13:32 (Ref:1103855)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Thats because we have spent all our money bringing up our children, no expense spared, and now want to enjoy life
Old 22 Sep 2004, 13:40 (Ref:1103862)   #8
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Stephen, do you have conversations with people telling them how many Type Rs you have spotted (and in what colour) on any given day? Or is that just my dad?
Old 22 Sep 2004, 13:43 (Ref:1103866)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I think your dad and I would get on really well. Does he also visit the Type-R website?

Last edited by Stephen Green; 22 Sep 2004 at 13:43.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 13:51 (Ref:1103870)   #10
Ian Sowman
Veteran

I don't think he's discovered that just yet...
Old 22 Sep 2004, 13:52 (Ref:1103872)   #11
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You might find even the supercharged Cooper S a bit slow compared with your 172.

How about a Skoda Octavia vRS, has the VW group 1.8T engine (180bhp), but cheaper than similar VWs and Audis. Seems to now be the Cop Car of choice.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 14:09 (Ref:1103887)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'm not allowed a skoda. and it's too big, i can't fit anything bigger than a 3 series compact in my parking space.

imo the 172 is a bit slow, and it's as boring as watching a game at northampton town. the a3 is butt ugly, and i do want a new one, but the 1.8t engine sounds nice. not had an audi yet either.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 14:27 (Ref:1103899)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Well the Civic is quite a bit faster than the 172 and you have all the fun of the 6 speed gearbox and VTEC
Old 22 Sep 2004, 15:09 (Ref:1103929)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i think my gran drives a civic.

nuff said...
Old 22 Sep 2004, 15:16 (Ref:1103934)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
At least take one for a test drive, you will be amazed even after driving your 172!
Old 22 Sep 2004, 15:35 (Ref:1103945)   #16
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Yes, but lots of grans drive Clios, too.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 15:44 (Ref:1103953)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
and my ex-wife grrrrrrrrr
Old 22 Sep 2004, 15:50 (Ref:1103954)   #18
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
You want performance with style? Get an Alfa 147.

Now, of course, all the knowalls will tell you how unreliable Alfas are........
Old 22 Sep 2004, 16:10 (Ref:1103969)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
and how they depreciate...
Old 22 Sep 2004, 18:02 (Ref:1104076)   #20
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get a SMART Forfour.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 22 Sep 2004, 20:08 (Ref:1104211)   #21
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
i'm not allowed a skoda.
:confused:

As for the Huge (It's too big to call it Mini!!!) I like the way they've tried very hard to capture the spirit of the real Mini but it misses the point by being big and not particularly cheap- the origonal was small and cheap.
I personally wouldn't dismiss it straight away but I don't think it would be first choice.

Smart Forfour? sort of defeats the object of Smart really....
Old 22 Sep 2004, 22:00 (Ref:1104372)   #22
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I hate the Smart forfour. You could get a proper car for that money.

Bella, if I were you I'd go for the Mini, but it'd have to be the supercharged one. As for the 'image' thing, that really depends on what colour you get - go for something overtly racy rather than the lemming black/blacked out windows/shiny alloys approach.

And if you want a knowall to tell you how unreliable Alfas are, I'll put you in touch with my mate Neil. He's an Alfa dealer sales manager...
Old 22 Sep 2004, 23:02 (Ref:1104431)   #23
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drove a Cooper S last year. Fun, plenty of power, goes round corners pretty fast. I say buy one, red with white roof and mirrors (like the Monte Carlo rally winners)
Old 23 Sep 2004, 10:30 (Ref:1104774)   #24
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i really hate looking for audi a3's because i loathe the way they look. like, really hate it. they're just so boring. i love the engine, but wish the new body shape had come out earlier. is it just me or are the new ones overpriced. £25k!!! anyway.

the reason why i'm looking at a mini has nothing to do with the fact it's a mini. one of my friends had one back in 2002 and i wanted one then. i like the car as a car in it's own right.

i mean, back to reality and fact is this car's going to be sold again in 6 months time, so really it's not too important. sadly, the black windows, big alloys car is more likely to sell.

(mind you, i've got a really good salesman at my beck and call. he managed to sell my golf for more than we bought it for, even after beating out the accident damage...)
Old 23 Sep 2004, 10:59 (Ref:1104804)   #25
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How about a Seat Leon with the 1.8T engine?