Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 3 Jun 2012, 17:40 (Ref:3084608)   #1
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ALMS 2013 Discussion

Early days still but I don't really wish that the 2012 thread turns too much into 2013 discussion when the current season isn't even at the half way point just yet! So it could be wiser to direct the CotA talk etc here...

The current tracks on the calendar will probably all stay as they are (Baltimore possibly being the only question mark) but the spring date @ Austin F1 track has already been confirmed so we'll have yet another newcomer to the series after Virginia this year. IndyCar will also make a Houston comeback at Reliant Park so I guess we might get supporting role from there again, although I'm not sure if holding two events at Texas would be viable for the series... I mean tracks like Sears Point aren't returning any time soon as California already hosts two events.

Not sure how long the Detroit deal with Grand-Am is but that should be another target for ALMS, as long as it doesn't directly conflict with the Test day like this year. Has anyone heard anything new about that Oklahoma street circuit thingie that was planned for 2013? It's been all VERY quiet for some time now.

New grid additions will come from Viper, well okay they'll be participating already this year and developing the car but it'll be the first full season campaign. Same goes for Dempsey's LMP2 program (with the primary aim of entering Le Mans). Mr Panoz also wishes to have Deltawing on the grid...
Old 3 Jun 2012, 18:40 (Ref:3084651)   #2
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course we have the continued speculation of ALMS allowing GT3 into GTC or as a new class. I get the feeling we might see GT3 cars at Petit Le Mans this year as a test run for next year.

Falken Tire might also run two cars next year instead of one. I remember there was talk of an expanded program for them.

BMW Team RLL may switch to the Z4 GTE next year, given that the M3 GT is very long in the tooth (and a BoP wagon)

If we're lucky, we might get Aston Martin Racing as a full-season entry if they decide they like the ALMS enough to run it along with the WEC program.
Old 3 Jun 2012, 19:17 (Ref:3084671)   #3
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The ALMS needs less classes, like 4: one for free protos (LMp1 or LMP2), one for spec protos (LMP2 or LMPC), one for free GTs (GTE or GT3) and one for spec GTs (Porsche Cup). More classes dilute coverage. It's easier to follow four classes during a 2:45 race than six.
Old 3 Jun 2012, 19:25 (Ref:3084678)   #4
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow! Surely this must be the earliest we've started a next-season thread. Of course, CotA really forced our hand.

I sure hope GT3s do get to enter Petit '12 and beyond.

As for Falken Tire, there has been speculation since the green and blue car first hit an ALMS track that they'll bring a second car soon or the following season. Hopefully Falken ponies up. Would be nice to have another Porsche and it would also be cool to see them start to sell their tires into ACO-style sports car racing.

I'd really like to see BMW NA turn the Z4 into a GT(E) legal car so we keep a great team, great drivers and two cars on the ALMS grid.

Perhaps part of the Aston Martin speculation, I believe Adrian Fernandez's Aston contract ends after this season. He has intimated that perhaps his European adventure is over. Maybe he will bring the Aston effort to the ALMS grid? Or if he doesn't re-up with Aston and could that mean a return to prototype racing? Either way I'm expecting a new theatre for Adrian next year and I'd sure like it to be in ALMS.

Chris

Edit: GTC has not been reaffirmed for 2013. There was talk that after this season the class is gone. However, the ALMS has faced vocal team owners demanding GTC return because "one make racing is beneficial to the ALMS". Porsche and Yokohama probably wouldn't mind either.
Old 3 Jun 2012, 19:44 (Ref:3084695)   #5
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well I believe Declan Brennan said recently on MWM that Porsche had had some discussions with ALMS and they wouldn't mind if they opened the category for others.

I don't really fancy the class in it's current form and IMSA already has a much better platform for cup porkies (IMSA GT3), however if keeping them means that we can live without FIA GT3 cars for few more years... then by all means, spec 911 class it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
The ALMS needs less classes, like 4: one for free protos (LMp1 or LMP2), one for spec protos (LMP2 or LMPC), one for free GTs (GTE or GT3) and one for spec GTs (Porsche Cup). More classes dilute coverage. It's easier to follow four classes during a 2:45 race than six.
In other words, your ideal system would be the 2010 one?

LMP (P1/P2)
LMPC (PC)
GT (GT2)
GTC (Porsche cup)
Old 3 Jun 2012, 19:56 (Ref:3084703)   #6
Deleted
Veteran

So does anyone have any news on the proposed Oklahoma race? The most recent article I found is from May 2011, it's been dead silent since then... http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110505/ALMS/110509896

Did the city council vote against it? Did the financial backers - if there were any - run off? Were they ever even remotely serious about the whole thing?

With the arrival of CotA and assuming that Laguna stays on the spring date, we do seem to have a good lead up to Le Mans next year though.
Old 3 Jun 2012, 22:52 (Ref:3084815)   #7
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If is true that Porsche could "test/racing" their LMP1 in late 2013, I think ALMS could be one place to go...
Old 3 Jun 2012, 22:57 (Ref:3084818)   #8
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm still waiting on the sh*tstorm that will be waivers for the Viper....
Old 3 Jun 2012, 23:17 (Ref:3084825)   #9
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneesh99 View Post
I'm still waiting on the sh*tstorm that will be waivers for the Viper....
The only "waiver" I've heard of is allowing the 8.0L engine, which could be accomplished by expanding the restrictor table to where it was in 2009 (which included engines up to 8.0L). The reduction to 5.5L was supposedly to distinguish it from the then-GT1 championship.

Only team it affects is Corvette, who had to reduce the Corvette engine from 6.2 to 5.5. All the other cars run engine congruent to what the road car has.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 00:10 (Ref:3084838)   #10
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well if we're talking dream classes...you combine P1 and P2. You combine PC and Grand-Am DP (nearly even over a single lap as is). You keep GT as is. You combine GTC with Grand-Am GT since it's the same spec for the Porsches. Daytona, Sebring, Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta, everything, all in one.

Back to reality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
So does anyone have any news on the proposed Oklahoma race? The most recent article I found is from May 2011, it's been dead silent since then... http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110505/ALMS/110509896

Did the city council vote against it? Did the financial backers - if there were any - run off? Were they ever even remotely serious about the whole thing?

With the arrival of CotA and assuming that Laguna stays on the spring date, we do seem to have a good lead up to Le Mans next year though.
I'm pretty sure OKC is dead, and Austin's coming to take its place.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 00:35 (Ref:3084843)   #11
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
If is true that Porsche could "test/racing" their LMP1 in late 2013, I think ALMS could be one place to go...
And avoid facing the competition. Makes sense (not).
Old 4 Jun 2012, 00:49 (Ref:3084846)   #12
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Actually, that's why it makes sense. They get a race or two in the ALMS to develop their car so when they do face the competition, they can actually be competitive with them. Meanwhile, they save themselves any embarrassment if the first time out goes horribly wrong.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 01:05 (Ref:3084850)   #13
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
Wow! Surely this must be the earliest we've started a next-season thread.
In short, yes.

ALMS 2009 Discussion: started Sept 8, 2008 by Mal with the opening line "Its about time we kicked off the discussion regarding the prospects for ALMS in 2009."

ALMS 2010 Discussion: started Aug 15, 2009 by tlongman with the opening line "I know it's only August but its not too early to start thinking about next year."

ALMS 2011 Discussion: started Aug 6, 2010 by Horndawg with the opening line "Well the first thing coming out is that Roush Yates will be offering a Ford EcoBoost turbo V-6 for the P-2 class, also a technical partnership with Lola for various engine options for Lola LMPs in the future."

ALMS 2012 Discussion: started Sept 9, 2011 by joeb with the opening line "I have been trying to delay the start of this thread until the current string of races ends, but teams are starting to release plans for next season."

Last edited by joeb; 4 Jun 2012 at 11:59.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 04:04 (Ref:3084885)   #14
J.C.
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, New York
J.C. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
In short, yes.

ALMS 2009 Discussion: started Sept 8, 2008 by Mal with the opening line "Its about time we kicked off the discussion regarding the prospects for ALMS in 2009."

ALMS 2010 Discussion: started Aug 15, 2009 by tlongman with the opening line "I know it's only August but its not too early to start thinking about next year."

ALMS 2011 Discussion: started Aug 6, 2010 by Horndawg with the opening line "Well the first thing coming out is that Roush Yates will be offering a Ford EcoBoost turbo V-6 for the P-2 class, also a technical partnership with Lola for various engine options for Lola LMPs in the future."

ALMS 2010 Discussion: started Sept 9, 2011 by joeb with the opening line "I have been trying to delay the start of this thread until the current string of races ends, but teams are starting to release plans for next season."

Whatever happen to the Roush Yates Ford EcoBoost engine? I thought there was a team that was going to run that engine...
Old 4 Jun 2012, 05:33 (Ref:3084901)   #15
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
Whatever happen to the Roush Yates Ford EcoBoost engine? I thought there was a team that was going to run that engine...
Libra is currently running the engine in the radical
Old 4 Jun 2012, 12:53 (Ref:3085088)   #16
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
And avoid facing the competition. Makes sense (not).
There would be some sense in running Petit Le Mans in 2013. Though that would be testing in the full glare of publicity.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 16:42 (Ref:3085172)   #17
J.C.
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, New York
J.C. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ALMS just added Circuit of the Americas to the calendar. I was expecting that move.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 16:52 (Ref:3085176)   #18
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post

I would think the Austin race would make another one in that vicinity hard to support.

DK
Old 4 Jun 2012, 17:15 (Ref:3085186)   #19
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
On the OKC front, the Bricktown proposal was voted down, because the Council thought it wouldn't look good to spend money on it in the present economy. There had been rumblings about a Remington Park temporary circuit for the following year, but I haven't heard anything for a while.

As for an impact caused by Austin, the two cities are something like 7 hours apart on the Interstate, so they're quite distant from one another. Even Dallas is 4 hours from OKC by car. It would be like saying that we can't have a race in St. Louis because we already have one in OKC.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 21:35 (Ref:3085315)   #20
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will Lotus Evora GTE be in ALMS next year???
Old 4 Jun 2012, 21:50 (Ref:3085322)   #21
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I wouldn't count on it, nor would I be surprised to see the BMWs disappear, RLL seemed very chuffed with Indy
Old 4 Jun 2012, 21:54 (Ref:3085324)   #22
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Will Lotus Evora GTE be in ALMS next year???
Without more BoPing, no. The Evora is just not a workable race car, Alex Job Racing really decided to be all masochistic when they chose to run the car this year. A car based off the new Exige S would probably do a LOT better
Old 4 Jun 2012, 22:01 (Ref:3085329)   #23
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
Without more BoPing, no. The Evora is just not a workable race car, Alex Job Racing really decided to be all masochistic when they chose to run the car this year. A car based off the new Exige S would probably do a LOT better
Alex Job isn't being masochistic, he's being paid to run the car. If running the car continues to make financial sense next season, then they will continue to do so.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 22:07 (Ref:3085339)   #24
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Hopefully they get on with the Evora to make it more reliable. I THINK it can be made competitive.
Old 5 Jun 2012, 03:12 (Ref:3085413)   #25
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
A car based off the new Exige S would probably do a LOT better
Why? Both cars have the same layout and similar chassis structure, share the same supercharged V6 engine. When you strip the road car safety/comfort/luxury bits, you'll be left with the biggest difference:
The dimensions
_____________Evora S________Exige S
wheelbase_____2574.5mm_____2370 mm
Overall length__4360.5mm_____4052 mm

And that's why Evora is much more suitable for GTE homologation. At least it seems that small cars just have no place in GT racing these days.