Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Closed Thread

Old 13 May 2002, 20:23 (Ref:285582)   #1
davieR
Rookie

davieR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Honda

right now ive joined the club, who else is on from the best single seater class in the country???
Old 13 May 2002, 20:55 (Ref:285602)   #2
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
right now ive joined the club, who else is on from the best single seater class in the country???

What Monoposto!!!!!!
Old 14 May 2002, 07:49 (Ref:285918)   #3
Spinner
Racer

Spinner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah Monoposto, ill agree with that Lola!!!
Old 14 May 2002, 10:02 (Ref:286042)   #4
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You have to support your formula but these FH kiddies do make me laugh with their claims
Old 14 May 2002, 11:05 (Ref:286096)   #5
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We've been here before.. but I agree the competition isn't that hot.. to consider

Brit F3
BOSS
Forumla Renault X2
FPA
Zip
Brit F Fordies
Southern F Fordies X 2
Monos
ARP F3
CC F Fordies
Midlands F Fordies
British Hillclimb Championship

Any other candidates??
Old 14 May 2002, 12:09 (Ref:286170)   #6
JR Ewing
Veteran

Oulton FF1600
Old 14 May 2002, 18:00 (Ref:286495)   #7
louis
Rookie

louis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monoposto could never be the best single seater class as it is for old has beens.
Old 14 May 2002, 21:01 (Ref:286665)   #8
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester

louis you are talking a load of @3^*~?!!!!!!

Has beens?

Amanda Whitaker (couple of years ago the fastest women in uk)

Frazer Corbyn (very quick and still in his 20,s)

Luke Kidsley ( very quick bareley out of his teens)

Phillip House ( still very yound and would shame many a Formula Renault/zetec driver)

Wayne Clarke ( ex BRDC single seater champion)

And the older ? drivers

Francis Phillips (regular podium visitor in a F3000 when he raced in Boss)

Jim Blockley ( may be getting on but very quick ...look at his lap times

So you can see just from the few I have picked here , some very competative drivers and they are not what you would class as old!!! or has beens!!!!

Any one of those would more than hold there own in any national single seater championship.

Regular 60 cars at any meeting and some of the most competative racing in the Uk......and all Amateurs!!!!
Old 14 May 2002, 21:06 (Ref:286669)   #9
goughy
Racer

goughy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YEP NORTH-WEST FORMULA FORD 1600 IS UP THERE-I AM BIAS THOUGH AS I AM IN IT!
Old 15 May 2002, 09:52 (Ref:287063)   #10
jamesb
Rookie

jamesb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of those guys you mention Lola... what cars do they drive? (incidently, Formula Honda runs a Jedi Chassis)
Oh, and Luke and Frazer race in FH too.
I agree with DavieR, and not just because I am in FH, if there was a better value series I'd be doing it. Outright lap record at Ty Croes? Sounds ok to me.
Old 15 May 2002, 12:05 (Ref:287186)   #11
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Think Formula Honda has really improved this year, although there are still only a dozen or so cars. In the late 90s, I remeber the series attracting nearly double.

There are race reports at www.geocities.com/parcfermeuk
Old 15 May 2002, 14:12 (Ref:287322)   #12
Spinner
Racer

Its probably about time the Formula Honda/single seater series joined the Monos, seems a bit silly having separate championship, when could be pooled together and have one single motorbike formula.
Old 15 May 2002, 15:50 (Ref:287398)   #13
JR Ewing
Veteran

Spins, thought that was supposed to happen this year, but the BRSCC changed their minds right at the last minute
Old 15 May 2002, 16:12 (Ref:287416)   #14
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JR Ewing
Spins, thought that was supposed to happen this year, but the BRSCC changed their minds right at the last minute
Yep, I think FHonda was one of the series that the MSA was considering caning or amalgamating due to low grid numbers - but it escaped!
Old 15 May 2002, 22:24 (Ref:287623)   #15
Matt Pinny
Rookie

Matt Pinny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lola not forgetting that i also had a few rounds in mono.......... good training ground i think just what luke kidsleys using it for......
Old 16 May 2002, 07:21 (Ref:287784)   #16
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I forgot to put Formula Vee on my original list.. surely the best (supported) championship in the country??

I note that FH had a grid totally 8 cars at Croft last weekend.... how can anyone claim that the series has a stand alone future?
Old 16 May 2002, 09:30 (Ref:287858)   #17
louis
Rookie

louis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there were 20 formula honda cars at cadwell park at the first round... with grids like that no wonder its a standalone formula
Old 16 May 2002, 11:40 (Ref:287964)   #18
Spinner
Racer

Surely it can only survive if the grids are consistant, ie at every circuit, there may have been 20 cars at Cadwell, but where was everyone at Croft, unless there was a 12 car pile up that we didnt hear about!
Old 16 May 2002, 12:23 (Ref:288007)   #19
AndyF
Veteran

Well it was the third meeting in as many weeks. We will have to see how many go to Oulton Park next week!
Old 17 May 2002, 14:28 (Ref:288943)   #20
jamesb
Rookie

I agree with AndyF
I was not out at croft because of the number of meetings so close together. I couldn't afford to do that. I still went to croft to watch and support the guys though.

I think people should maybe give FHonda a bit of a break, as there is a lot of bad feeling toward it, undeservidly. I did a lot of research on how to get into racing, and as I've said before, if there is a slicks and wings formula that is quicker, and cheaper, I'd do it. Mono is closest, and I may make an appearance in one or two races later in the year, but I think mixing fhonda with mono is a bad idea. Why would anyone race a 600 jedi against R1 jedi when they could have an R1 themselves for not much more money?

FHonda is as competative as it is because of the equality of the machines. Ask Luke Kidsley which is better. He's doing both, and even though his Mono is quicker, he's only really got one rival who can get anywhere near him. That's why I chose Honda. I can't relax, I have to push to stay wih the guys in front. I'm not at the top yet, in fact I've got a best result of 8th to my name, but it's a damn sight better to come 8th against equal machines, and hard charging drivers, than a variety of machines, where you don't know who made the difference, you or the car.

FHonda has a very steep learning curve, and that is why it deserves a little more respect than it is getting at the moment. I can't wait to be on the same track, on the same day, as the Zips. September 21st. Look out boys, it's time to prove FHonda is a real formula, and not a formula for reworked ford focus with a marketing budget and MSA approval. Sorry guys, but you are not the best value for money. £25000 and you are slow! (ok, you're on TV, but you look slow there too)
Old 17 May 2002, 17:10 (Ref:289045)   #21
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Sorry guys, but you are not the best value for money. £25000 and you are slow! (ok, you're on TV, but you look slow there too)

Old 19 May 2002, 21:03 (Ref:290073)   #22
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Can I ask what the deal with slicks and wings is?? And why is everyone so keen to race in a series that provides this, but is substantially more expensive than other single seater series, such as Formula Vee??

What do competitors in Formula Honda intend to achieve by spending this extra cash on such a formulae??

I have absolutely nothing aginst the series or the drivers, but I do have problems with series that waste everyones time at race meeting and thin out grids throughout the club arena. Hence why the idea of Super Coupes was such a superb idea and provides excellent entertainment.
Old 23 May 2002, 10:38 (Ref:293371)   #23
jamesb
Rookie

the deal with slicks and wings is that it is far more comlex, and rewarding. Learning to drive purely on mechanical grip is essential, so FVee is a great formula to learn in, and cheap, but I wanted slicks and wings because.... um.... well, it's a damn sight quicker quite frankly. That's my entire reasoning. You can learn mechanical grip in slow corners, it's the quick ones that are fun in FHonda, you try taking Gerrards at Mallory flat!
Did seriously look at Vee though
Old 23 May 2002, 11:27 (Ref:293419)   #24
JR Ewing
Veteran

Gerrards flat in an FF1600 not too tricky,
Zetec - tried it once - wasn't particularly successful!!!

Formula Honda - bla bla bla - best value - ****** ****** ****** - slick and wings - ****e ****e bla bla bla - better than FFord at £125,000 - cobblers cobblers cobblers - best formula, most growing formula in the UK - bla bla more ****** etc.

Formula Honda is an overgrown kart that has never really caught on - and won't. It isn't really supported by Honda at all. It is dwindling and has been struggling on for a few years now. No matter what anyone says, have a big shunt in a F600 (formula's real name) and you are in the hands of the gods - pure luck.
Always one or two quick at the front but the rest would be absolutely nowhere in a mainstream, professional formula like Zetecs or even Kents.
There is nothing wrong with it per se, but it does pee me off when all these (obviously very young) lads try to pass it off as something is most definitely is NOT.
At BEST, it is a club racing formula and looks a bit of a one horse race this year anyway........
Old 23 May 2002, 20:46 (Ref:294024)   #25
27tim
Racer

27tim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got to say I kinda hold the same opinion as JR Ewing on this one.

I'm sure its good fun to drive in, I'm sure its cheap too. But no one is watching F600 and they look like dangerous cars to be in a shunt in.

Last edited by 27tim; 23 May 2002 at 20:50.
Closed Thread