Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 4 May 2002, 21:08 (Ref:278634)   #1
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
need help identifying two old crashes at Indianapolis

I'm wondering if anyone can help me identify these two crashes at Indianapolis, crash #1 (852KB) and crash #2 (1 094KB). At least I think they're both from Indianapolis.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Old 7 May 2002, 01:11 (Ref:278986)   #2
FrankV
Rookie

FrankV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
#1 could be Flaherty's fatal crash but I'm not sure at all. #2 I already saw but can't remember who's the driver. I think he survived that one. Not much of a help I'm afraid
Old 7 May 2002, 03:16 (Ref:279040)   #3
FA-reject

crashes

Pat Flaherty died of natural causes many years after his racing was over, he owned a Chicago tavern. Your probably thinking the first crash was Pat O'Connor in 58, but its not. It might be Jerry Unser in practice for th 59 race. The second crash was Jack Turner. He did this little flip 2 or 3 years in a row. I think he was injured in one of the crashes, but neither were fatal.

Old 7 May 2002, 06:44 (Ref:279157)   #4
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After doing some researching, I found the following at the www.raresportsfilms.com site:

The most memorable incident of the race is covered, a four-car tangle that begins when Chuck Weyant spins, squeezing Mike Magill against the outside wall. Magill flips over and slides upside down off the track and into the infield. Meanwhile both Jud Larson and Red Amick spin trying to avoid the mess, then are both shown lifting Magill's car upright to help get Mike out. Roll bars, made mandatory for '59 after the first lap Pat O'Connor disaster of '58, save Magill's life.

Could the first clip be Magill's crash?
Old 7 May 2002, 11:32 (Ref:279342)   #5
FrankV
Rookie

FrankV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes indeed I was thinking of O'Connor, sorry ! You're right about Cactus too FA, this is indeed one of the mainstraight flipping master's performances !
The #1 footage is quite short so it's hard to say if it is Magill. It happened quite often to have two cars tangling and crashing against the outside wall, with one of the cars flipping in the process. Wasn't Jerry Unser killed in a one car accident though ?
Old 8 May 2002, 02:33 (Ref:279913)   #6
FA-reject

Your right, Jerry Unser's crash was a single car. Clymer's 59 Indy yearbook shows a five picture sequence of the Magill crash. It matches the first clip.