Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 20 Mar 2012, 22:15 (Ref:3045663)   #1951
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljakse View Post
Where can I find which races BBC will cover?
Here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17238688
Old 20 Mar 2012, 22:18 (Ref:3045666)   #1952
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks!!
Old 21 Mar 2012, 17:03 (Ref:3046064)   #1953
mikestow
Rookie

mikestow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having now watched both,the BBC was the far superior coverage,with better commentary.EJ and DC were fine and Jake balanced it nicely.What a pity the old team was broken up,but I will give Sky a go this weekend,and if no improvement,then I will just use the BBC,and accept the free paractice is out for this year,on the races the BBC does not attend.Just as I expected the Sky hype did not break any records,and the Beeb still managed 85%.Brilliant!!I can do without Brundle with DC and Edwards on the other side.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 20:06 (Ref:3046198)   #1954
rocketcar
Rookie

United Kingdom
Colchester
rocketcar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestow View Post
Having now watched both,the BBC was the far superior coverage,with better commentary.EJ and DC were fine and Jake balanced it nicely.What a pity the old team was broken up,but I will give Sky a go this weekend,and if no improvement,then I will just use the BBC,and accept the free paractice is out for this year,on the races the BBC does not attend.Just as I expected the Sky hype did not break any records,and the Beeb still managed 85%.Brilliant!!I can do without Brundle with DC and Edwards on the other side.
totally agree
Old 21 Mar 2012, 22:22 (Ref:3046252)   #1955
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Ok, then one of them should do it, not both of them fail to do it.
I didn't notice any problem, but then I wasn't looking for them.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 22:30 (Ref:3046255)   #1956
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Ben edwards was the best available by a long way for Beeb after Brundle's departure. He will excel in this role and DC, dulcit he maybe is a good wing man.
Old 22 Mar 2012, 17:01 (Ref:3046652)   #1957
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Let's face it as well, you ain't missing much in practice these days. Got to preserve those twenty-race engines!
Old 22 Mar 2012, 17:12 (Ref:3046658)   #1958
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Just as I expected the Sky hype did not break any records,and the Beeb still managed 85%.Brilliant!!
I'd wait until there is a prime-time Sky-only race before you go patting yourself on the back.

The number of people willing to get up at 6am on Sunday to watch cars go round a track was fairly representative in the Sky figures.

I agree that the bbc comms team are better, but its hard to compare like for like a live show with something that was 8hrs in the cutting room. ...
Old 22 Mar 2012, 18:35 (Ref:3046699)   #1959
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
I'd wait until there is a prime-time Sky-only race before you go patting yourself on the back.

The number of people willing to get up at 6am on Sunday to watch cars go round a track was fairly representative in the Sky figures.

I agree that the bbc comms team are better, but its hard to compare like for like a live show with something that was 8hrs in the cutting room. ...
I'd be interested to know how many people got up at 6am and watched the race via media other than Sky?
Old 22 Mar 2012, 22:16 (Ref:3046829)   #1960
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Let's face it as well, you ain't missing much in practice these days. Got to preserve those twenty-race engines!
On the other hand, you won't find a good qualifying/race set up by staying in your garage.

But anyway, I still found even the two rain affected practice sessions to be quite interesting.
Old 23 Mar 2012, 22:33 (Ref:3047304)   #1961
Massa_number1
Racer

Massa_number1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have the Sky F1 and I think the coverage is really good I cannot fault it to be honest I especially enjoy having a channel dedicated to F1 (the wife isnt pleased though!)

BUT if you offered me the choice to have either the old BBC F1 team inc Brundle and full free coverage back or this new SKY F1 I would take the BBC back without a doubt
Old 24 Mar 2012, 00:30 (Ref:3047349)   #1962
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just managed a full three minutes of this weeks F1 Show.

Georgie's face when Ted is talking technical.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 11:03 (Ref:3047437)   #1963
Raspberry
Rookie

United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Raspberry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Just managed a full three minutes of this weeks F1 Show.

Georgie's face when Ted is talking technical.
That's one of my faves too...she looks like a ventriloquist's dummy - also with Ant at the Skypad, nodding her head constantly as if she actually has a scooby what he's on about.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 12:25 (Ref:3047459)   #1964
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I listened to Five Live Extra and watched qualifying on Abu Dhabi Sport. I have to say that James Allen did exactly what a commentator should do. He told me the consequences of what was happening rather than scream at me telling me what I could see. F'rinstance the lock ups at the final turn. He suggested that in extreme cases the drivers would get a flat spot which would compromise them for any further running. Now, whilst I know this, many people may not, so one up to Allen.

I'll watch the iPlayer later to see if motormouth and DC can hold my interest.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 12:29 (Ref:3047461)   #1965
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Did he, at any point, shout "get in there"? Sounds like he might have aged well.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 12:34 (Ref:3047463)   #1966
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No he didn't and bearing in mind his previous incarnation, I was somewhat pleasantly surprised. Furthermore Jaime Algusuari(sp?) is a pretty competent technical support.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 15:57 (Ref:3047522)   #1967
rocketcar
Rookie

United Kingdom
Colchester
I felt for GT today, you could see that when they throw to "ant at the skypad" she is desperate to say something even if it repeats exactly what the other presenters just said.

I still dont know why she is up there she adds nothing to it... all i can think is its to keep ant company.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 19:11 (Ref:3047596)   #1968
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yah-hay!

I watched Friday practice last night, it worked well. Being allowed to deviate from the main feed is good. It becomes a better programme for it. The pressure is off and the team wander round the pits and chat to people. It doesn't have to be cutting edge and short as it is for the race programme and benefits for it. Reminds me of the RLM style interviews.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 19:39 (Ref:3047613)   #1969
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketcar View Post
I still dont know why she is up there she adds nothing to it... all i can think is its to keep ant company.
Sky got a little too enthusiastic. They went gung-ho into drafting in presenters before they fully planned out their various programs. Result is a few pieces that don't fit in the slots.

Thompson is a capable broadcaster who can articulate herself with clarity but you need a broadcaster-pundit that has a degree of expertise to ask the right questions otherwise authority is lost. Ryder would do it. Thompson's strengths would add more to Lazenby's role.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 20:28 (Ref:3047636)   #1970
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I'm a bit sceptical about the anti-Thompson comments. Mainly because we hear similar things whenever there is a woman involved. Beverley Turner, Louise Goodman...etc I think Georgie Thomspon is a pretty accomplished broadcaster meself.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 20:33 (Ref:3047638)   #1971
rocketcar
Rookie

United Kingdom
Colchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Did he, at any point, shout "get in there"? Sounds like he might have aged well.
allen said that once and tbh it was justified when button won in hungary starting from the mid-field and no one would have expected that, he was expressing the emotion people had and the thought that button was never going to win and simply be another martin brundle.

allan is a bit over the top but he is a good commentator and after having an array over the past few years he is definatlly top for me, or at least on par with david croft.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 20:56 (Ref:3047650)   #1972
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Yes he only said it once, i know, but it was a perfect example of the style of his former self. It was poor, emotion maybe, but it was not a goal going in it was the culmination of a 200mile race. It is not the kind of commentary I like to hear. What was a great moment was ruined by inappropriate out burst. A simpletons comment.

There are many articulate people in the world. He was not one of them. I use the past tense because I haven't heard him recently.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 21:22 (Ref:3047663)   #1973
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pure genius from Setanta this morning. Set dvr to record quali and got 114mins of an F1 test card
Old 24 Mar 2012, 22:55 (Ref:3047688)   #1974
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I'm a bit sceptical about the anti-Thompson comments. Mainly because we hear similar things whenever there is a woman involved. Beverley Turner, Louise Goodman...etc I think Georgie Thomspon is a pretty accomplished broadcaster meself.
not really. natalie pinkham and lee mckenzie do a great job. nobody feels the need to comment on people when they do a good job. only when they do what in their eyes is a bad job.

the thing is, natalie and lee are pitlane reporters who happen to be female. georgie thompson is The Female Member Of The Team. you can't tell me there was a job, a bunch of people auditioned for it and she was the best candidate.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 23:01 (Ref:3047689)   #1975
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Don't mind Georgie myself. I do get the impression that had a guy been chosen to do that job, he wouldn't be slated half as much as GT does.

Tags
outrage, sky