Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Dec 2012, 11:02 (Ref:3178887)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Spa 6hrs

The main event plus supports from BSSCC, Masters, Motor Racing Legends, HMRN U2TC etc.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 11:41 (Ref:3221662)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
bit early but as I have paid the entry I feel justified in getting excited!!
Old 20 Mar 2013, 11:51 (Ref:3221666)   #3
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Five years ago we would have been on page 10 on here by this date.

Shows how fashion changes or is it a loss of interest in Historics?
Old 20 Mar 2013, 11:56 (Ref:3221669)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
a very valid point but the list of entries is as strong as ever... I think it just means most who have entered have better things to do than chat on the WWW! I did not see an entry from your team - are you not doing it this year?
I am looking forward to it - to share a car in the 6 hour with my son is a definite box ticked.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 12:06 (Ref:3221673)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good stuff. Although I can't be there this year, I've no doubt Mike B and a few others will be there.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 12:13 (Ref:3221675)   #6
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Five years ago we would have been on page 10 on here by this date.

I would say that Historics/ Classics is one of the few growth or stable areas in motorsport.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 12:24 (Ref:3221681)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

I think in modern stuff GT is the only area where grids are full. When you see how much track time British GT have at the upcoming OP meeting its not hard to see why! Interestingly several historic drivers drifting over to it....
Old 20 Mar 2013, 13:29 (Ref:3221713)   #8
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, British GT, and to a certain extent BTCC, have bucked the trend.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 13:57 (Ref:3221727)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Not a fashion thing,so must be the latter for me.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 14:39 (Ref:3221745)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I'll be at the meeting as normal, but not in the 6hr. Just a mere 90 minutes GD for us on Sunday!

If I do the 6hr at some point I would like it to be in my Gilbern GT, but as the last events it did were Tour Britannia and Spa GD 2010, it really deserves a complete rebuild before something like the 6!
Old 20 Mar 2013, 16:29 (Ref:3221791)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ooops!
Old 20 Mar 2013, 16:31 (Ref:3221792)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
But its all MGB mechanicals Mike,they will go on forever, example, LeJog, + Birkett+ Phoenix Petroleum Championship,8 rounds. Spa six hour,regular 3:08s,two weeks later 300K on the Ring. Oil change, spanner check,into hibernation!
Go on,do it,you know you want too,perhaps you could even keep the period lighting system in place.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 19:32 (Ref:3221868)   #13
Wriggley Monkey
Rookie

Wriggley Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have my entry in - Triumph TR4. GTS11 looks to be a big class and the 911 and Marcos numbers look to be on the rise.

On the Triumph theme there is also a Peerless entered which is an interesting car for this type of event.

Best race of the year in my books - can't wait.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 20:07 (Ref:3221889)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
But its all MGB mechanicals Mike,they will go on forever,
Possibly, Terence, but that is not the way I like to race! Priorities will probably change next year and make the 6 more possible. This year am promised to another....
Old 20 Mar 2013, 20:50 (Ref:3221919)   #15
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Simon-we will be there in Pre 63 and Woodcote.

Need to back M R L and Carol.

I thought about a356 for the hell of it in 6 hrs but think a car has to lap at less than 3 12 to make it safe as reasonably possible
Old 20 Mar 2013, 23:23 (Ref:3222004)   #16
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Ben Shuckburgh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I am looking forward to it - to share a car in the 6 hour with my son is a definite box ticked.
Lucky you Simon - a box I hope I'll have the chance to tick one day....(with my son ....not yours.....obviously...)

We're entered in the E-Type and really looking forward to it. Quite a few GT40s out this year and plenty of other quick cars.....
Old 21 Mar 2013, 02:00 (Ref:3222052)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Will the GT40 numbers reduce due to Goodwood?
Old 21 Mar 2013, 04:00 (Ref:3222075)   #18
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter

The provisional entry list issued on 18th Feb showed 11 x GT40s

Wriggley

GTS11 is always big; this year there are 7 x 911s and 14 x MGBs on the list. As for more Marcoses, two years ago there were two -Tice/Conoley and Bertini/Cunnington and last year there were two - Tice/Conoley and Evans/Faux. This year there is just mine so far, although Bertini/Cunnington will be there if their new chassis materialises in good time (glue still going off)

Of the 80ish on the list only 32 are V8s at this stage, considerably down on the last couple of years although clearly that may change over the next 6 months as another 20-30 entries are likely
Old 21 Mar 2013, 05:58 (Ref:3222092)   #19
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Possibly, Terence, but that is not the way I like to race! Priorities will probably change next year and make the 6 more possible. This year am promised to another....

Whilst at CMS we had a customer with a B,engine was four years old,just a fraction down on compression. This was the same year as quoted,customer was great friends with the Spa regular Mr Thibault,who put in regular 3:08s,the car gave up the ghost with about 40mins to go,broken h/shaft.!The engine was still absolutely fine but we asked the customer if it was time for a rebuild,the answer was " Why? If it aint broke--------------"
Old 21 Mar 2013, 21:35 (Ref:3222488)   #20
Wriggley Monkey
Rookie

Wriggley Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISCracer View Post
Peter

The provisional entry list issued on 18th Feb showed 11 x GT40s

Wriggley

GTS11 is always big; this year there are 7 x 911s and 14 x MGBs on the list. As for more Marcoses, two years ago there were two -Tice/Conoley and Bertini/Cunnington and last year there were two - Tice/Conoley and Evans/Faux. This year there is just mine so far, although Bertini/Cunnington will be there if their new chassis materialises in good time (glue still going off)

Of the 80ish on the list only 32 are V8s at this stage, considerably down on the last couple of years although clearly that may change over the next 6 months as another 20-30 entries are likely
Peter there are four marosses (marci?) on the latest list.

Brian
Old 28 Mar 2013, 09:53 (Ref:3225922)   #21
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
Dinkel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I thought about a356 (...) in 6 hrs but think a car has to lap at less than 3 12 to make it safe as reasonably possible
You might be right there John.

Last year the first 3:12 cars was the 2nd placed MGB, on P24 (GTS11) SLEEP N/WYKEHAM J/SLEEP, MG B (14 L), 3:13.273

The 1st MGB did a 3:06 fastest lap . . . which is too fast as we all know. But we'll let that rest eh?

A 3:05 running Mustang 289 looks like a pretty safe bet to race quick, safe and within top 25.

Looking fwd to the 6 Hrs as I will bring my 10 yr old daughter to enjoy the sight 'n sound.
Attached Thumbnails
P9220175.jpg  
Old 28 Mar 2013, 15:41 (Ref:3226030)   #22
simon drabble
Veteran

well I will probably be slower than 3.12 as my Mk 2 is a heavy old thing and puts out a lot less power than a Mustang - however I will be safe!!
Old 2 Apr 2013, 19:05 (Ref:3228173)   #23
group2
Rookie

group2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if there will be an alternative winner to a GT40 ever again? It seems that there has been a clear improvement on fuel capacity over the last few years. There has got to be a good chance of it lashing down this year, which has not been the case for the last few, maybe then we will see a Jag or even a Griff win it
Old 3 Apr 2013, 07:28 (Ref:3228368)   #24
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by group2 View Post
I wonder if there will be an alternative winner to a GT40 ever again? It seems that there has been a clear improvement on fuel capacity over the last few years. There has got to be a good chance of it lashing down this year, which has not been the case for the last few, maybe then we will see a Jag or even a Griff win it
surely fuel capacity is a limited to the size on the homologation papers? On a similar basis I presume the Mustangs all run with correct rear axle and fuel tank size...

Peter in respect to the GT40's I think you might find some of the ones entered for the 6 Hour are continuation cars so probably would not get the Goodwood nod
Old 3 Apr 2013, 21:41 (Ref:3228794)   #25
group2
Rookie

group2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
surely fuel capacity is a limited to the size on the homologation papers? On a similar basis I presume the Mustangs all run with correct rear axle and fuel tank size...

The fuel capacity is free for the 6 hour.