Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 30 Dec 2014, 15:02 (Ref:3488752)   #201
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Expanding the European coverage and fan base is a good thing overall for the series and it's important to establish relationships with more European teams and SRO. I would not be surprised to see a non-points worldwide GT3 race established here in the US in the near future.
Old 30 Dec 2014, 15:09 (Ref:3488753)   #202
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTS Entry List tracker http://nasportscar.com/entry-list-so...challenge-gts/
Old 30 Dec 2014, 16:01 (Ref:3488766)   #203
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I don't see the point in holding an overseas race in a market that already has its own GT3-series as there really isn't much of a reason for the local fans to turn up when they can see the same cars year round in their own domestic series - so having the race in Europe doesn't really seem to be a smart idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I have to agree with you, they just seem to be trying to answer a question nobody asked.
Then I'm unsure why they wouldn't just go straight to an overseas race in 2015 and not bother with Baku. That's if they think the European/Eurasian market doesn't have anything left in it to capitalize on.

Mainly I think they want to put the "world" in World Challenge. Take that for what you will.
Old 30 Dec 2014, 18:43 (Ref:3488793)   #204
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
I think an international race once a year (w/ funding/travel support by the series!) is a brilliant idea. An alliance with BSS/BES also opens up a lot of possibilities for both series and a "GT3 World Final", if politics don't get in the way.

Taking the top X teams/cars from each series and having a final big purse race at the end of the year would be crazy fun -- regardless of if it's an Europe, ME, Asia, or North America.

-mike
Old 30 Dec 2014, 18:44 (Ref:3488794)   #205
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I don't see the point in holding an overseas race in a market that already has its own GT3-series as there really isn't much of a reason for the local fans to turn up when they can see the same cars year round in their own domestic series - so having the race in Europe doesn't really seem to be a smart idea.
I think it really opens up new possibilities for growing the fan base.
In the early days of the American Le Mans Series, multiple fly-away races were run, and it certainly seemed to help a great national series become an international phenomenon.

For Pirelli World Challenge's current rebirth, I think this can only be a good thing. I admire their courage to push the series to new heights.
Old 30 Dec 2014, 18:55 (Ref:3488796)   #206
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Perhaps positioning the series to pick up the remains of North American international relevance? TUSC doesn't seem bent on creating a "world class" series like ALMS was.

And really PWC is going to need something to keep its appeal once GTD turns into GT3. As lame as many think TUSC is as a whole, there is appeal to winning the big races as opposed to winning a support sprint race. If PWC can create an environment of the best of the best relative to the world, it will have something that TUSC does not have.

That's really all I can see coming from an overseas effort. Otherwise, as others have mentioned, why try to sell the NA GT3 series to markets with existing GT3 series?

I'm not opposed to the idea at all. As Mike mentioned, it would be fun. I would never accuse the world of having too many races either. I just think there's more effort going into the PWC culture than the desire for numerically more races, in a good way.

Last edited by seanyb505; 30 Dec 2014 at 19:01.
Old 30 Dec 2014, 19:07 (Ref:3488798)   #207
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
I think it really opens up new possibilities for growing the fan base.
In the early days of the American Le Mans Series, multiple fly-away races were run, and it certainly seemed to help a great national series become an international phenomenon.
Right, but ALMS was - back then - providing overseas fans with something their home series didn't have... top level prototype racing was almost non-existant back then in Europe outside LM. Sure there was Mangoletsi's ISRS, but that was more or less just a place to run old 333SPs and nowhere near the manufacturer entries that ALMS used to have in P900 in those days.

With GT3, however, even many European series struggle to attract an audience...
Old 30 Dec 2014, 19:11 (Ref:3488799)   #208
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
That's really all I can see coming from an overseas effort. Otherwise, as others have mentioned, why try to sell the NA GT3 series to markets with existing GT3 series?
I don't think they're trying to sell the series to outside markets, they're trying to make the series more attractive to entrants (from everywhere). And fly-away-supported races are very attractive as it makes the whole series bigger and more professional. Of course, it remains to be seen if it can actually be supported, but I like the fact they're exploring it.. especially with BES/BSS.

-mike
Old 30 Dec 2014, 19:16 (Ref:3488801)   #209
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post

And really PWC is going to need something to keep its appeal once GTD turns into GT3. As lame as many think TUSC is as a whole, there is appeal to winning the big races as opposed to winning a support sprint race. If PWC can create an environment of the best of the best relative to the world, it will have something that TUSC does not have.
Remember that GTD in TUSC, while still using GT3 cars, will be the bottom class of the series and never have a shot of winning overall. PWC, on the other hand, gives GT3 cars the win overall for MUCH less cost than running at the back of the TUSC grid. Not every team can afford or is attracted to endurance racing, so PWC is a very attractive option for many. What TUSC does have that PWC doesn't in a marquee race - Daytona, Sebring, Petit for example. But this international race or one of standalone events they will be having could change that.
Old 30 Dec 2014, 19:54 (Ref:3488804)   #210
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Level of success with these forays into international races and cooperation aside, what PWC is doing in terms of partnerships with other series, exploring international opportunities and making themselves more appealing to competitors is miles ahead of anything IMSA, ALMS, Grand-AM have done over the last 5 years. I wish them nothing but success and will be following closely.
Old 30 Dec 2014, 22:41 (Ref:3488824)   #211
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Run the gt3 world final at a place like Potrero de las Funes.
Old 30 Dec 2014, 23:05 (Ref:3488828)   #212
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
We can but dream, but who would pay?
Old 31 Dec 2014, 01:44 (Ref:3488853)   #213
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I believe there's still the idea of a FIA GT3 World Finale on the table - Ratel has been mentioning it a couple of times I believe.

Could PWC team up with Ratel to have a go at that?
I really like this idea of an annual World finale event, featuring the best teams from all the national GT3 series. Sort of a "World cup" for sports car racing!
The host city, could be different every year.
Old 31 Dec 2014, 01:54 (Ref:3488854)   #214
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
I think an international race once a year (w/ funding/travel support by the series!) is a brilliant idea. An alliance with BSS/BES also opens up a lot of possibilities for both series and a "GT3 World Final", if politics don't get in the way.

Taking the top X teams/cars from each series and having a final big purse race at the end of the year would be crazy fun -- regardless of if it's an Europe, ME, Asia, or North America.

-mike
It would be great fun to be able to cheer on our PWC teams, against the best GT3 teams from the rest of the world.
Nationalistic pride is what makes events like the Olympics so popular.
Old 31 Dec 2014, 15:19 (Ref:3488972)   #215
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
GT Cup entry list tracker updated http://nasportscar.com/entry-list-so...enge-gt-cup-3/
Old 31 Dec 2014, 23:33 (Ref:3489038)   #216
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can PWC focus on what is making it popular for a couple years then worry about this sideshow nonsense? It's worrying that that 2015 isn't here yet, and all these bigq plans are already being floated.
Old 1 Jan 2015, 03:47 (Ref:3489106)   #217
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
You are used to TUSC, a real series (or business for that matter) should always focus on the future once th immediate future is locked in (thats what operational people are for). WC is growing, not surviving...
Old 1 Jan 2015, 19:21 (Ref:3489253)   #218
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezPutz View Post
Can PWC focus on what is making it popular for a couple years then worry about this sideshow nonsense? It's worrying that that 2015 isn't here yet, and all these bigq plans are already being floated.
I would argue these kind of plans are showing a focus on making it more popular. An option for the top teams to race more and on another stage certainly can't be bad.
Old 2 Jan 2015, 22:09 (Ref:3489608)   #219
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezPutz View Post
WC Vision is doing a great job of building the series back up and creating interest for now and far into the future. They have a great team and a great product. GT Cup, while I'm not sure it belongs with GT/GT-A, is a smart move because it's 1) more entries for the series, 2) opens up the possibility to create a true "Cup Championship" with multiple Cup car makes, 3) Brings in a great partner with Porsche, 4) Brings in a great partner with MOMO
Old 2 Jan 2015, 23:04 (Ref:3489618)   #220
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasportscar View Post
WC Vision is doing a great job of building the series back up and creating interest for now and far into the future. They have a great team and a great product. GT Cup, while I'm not sure it belongs with GT/GT-A, is a smart move because it's 1) more entries for the series, 2) opens up the possibility to create a true "Cup Championship" with multiple Cup car makes, 3) Brings in a great partner with Porsche, 4) Brings in a great partner with MOMO
If I had to think of one complaint with 2014 PWC, It would be that the series did not have enough Porsches. Any recipe for a great sports car racing series, needs to feature a healthy dose of the classic German sporting car.
The additions of the NGT GT3 entry and the new GT cup class will solve this issue completely!
Old 2 Jan 2015, 23:17 (Ref:3489621)   #221
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
If I had to think of one complaint with 2014 PWC, It would be that the series did not have enough Porsches. Any recipe for a great sports car racing series, needs to feature a healthy dose of the classic German sporting car.
The additions of the NGT GT3 entry and the new GT cup class will solve this issue completely!

There was also a noticeable lack of BMW Z4's which are so common in number over in Europe and elsewhere. Save for the lone Turner Z4 that ran at St. Pete. But the fact that they are returning to the PWC with two cars and with any luck, team Vita4one in addition to that, certainly makes this series wonderfully diverse.

Cant wait to see what the NGT Porsche liveries will look like!
Old 4 Jan 2015, 16:56 (Ref:3489877)   #222
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasportscar View Post
Updated entry list tracker for GT and GTA classes http://nasportscar.com/entry-list-so...e-gt-and-gt-a/
The list of manufacturers set to compete next year is staggering!

Acura TLX GT
Aston Martin V12 Vantage
Audi R8 GT3
Bentley GT3
BMW Z4 GT3
Cadillac ATS V.R.
Ferrari 458 GT3
Mclaren 650S
Mercedes SLS. AMG
Porsche 997

Additionally Lamborghini, Nissan GTR, and the Lone Star Viper, are all on the probable list!
Old 4 Jan 2015, 23:15 (Ref:3489951)   #223
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Nearly all gt3 makes will be represented. Imo, only Lexus will be missing.
Old 4 Jan 2015, 23:17 (Ref:3489952)   #224
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
No Chevron.
Old 5 Jan 2015, 10:02 (Ref:3490026)   #225
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I don't believe the Chevron is an internationally homologated GT3.