Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 12 Feb 2015, 22:41 (Ref:3504379)   #26
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
That is the sadness of it all, a successful club operated circuit taken over by people with dreams who lacked the drive and ability to make it all happen.

Unfortunately in the case of a couple of our circuits the dreamers have also been orators who talked others into supporting the dream but who then baled out as soon as the going became tough and left others to carry the load.

I do feel very sorry for the Taupo Car Club and for the shareholders that brought into the dream
It's slight on Mr Abbott and Co. to say that they were just dreamers with no ability to realise those dreams - what about hosting the A1GP for several years? That was a world class event, especially initially (before the whole thing went belly up due to shady dealings) and I went to all but one of them. The first one was a very spectacular affair and the whole of Taupo was going off, it was great, like a mini-Melbourne.

The following years lost some, then all of their lustre as the series struggled worldwide but don't blame that on the people that worked tirelessly to get the track upgrade done and then bring a major international motorsport event to the circuit. The first and second years saw pretty good crowd attendance too (helped a lot by the support of Taupo District Council, which sadly didn't maintain its support).

But the sad fact is, if you get too far into debt to finance your development (of any kind not just racetracks) you will always struggle to keep your head above water.
Old 12 Feb 2015, 22:46 (Ref:3504385)   #27
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I agree, HD out in the middle of nowhere? I don't think so. This isn't 1955, but I guess if people think that then no wonder they think traveling to the South Island is such a big ordeal like Marco Polo venturing across Asia. I did know an Aucklander one time that had never been south of Auckland, ever. Didn't even know what Hamilton looked like. So I guess I can imagine some in Auckland going OMG we get on this big scary Highway 1 and drive south of the city in this thing called a car OMG what will we do?
I am surprised to see such an ignorant and patently untrue comment by you, Mountainstar. I have lived in Auckland all my life (apart from my big OE for a few years) and I know literally thousands of Aucklanders, and I have never ever ever met one who had not travelled extensively around the country. And I mean all over it. You are far more likely to meet someone like that in Invercargill or Dannevirke than you are in Auckland.

But I can't say I blame anyone for not wanting to go to Hamilton - that's why they made SH27 and the soon to be started Hamilton Bypass isn't it...?
Old 13 Feb 2015, 02:47 (Ref:3504429)   #28
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
It's slight on Mr Abbott and Co. to say that they were just dreamers with no ability to realise those dreams - what about hosting the A1GP for several years? That was a world class event, especially initially (before the whole thing went belly up due to shady dealings) and I went to all but one of them. The first one was a very spectacular affair and the whole of Taupo was going off, it was great, like a mini-Melbourne.

The following years lost some, then all of their lustre as the series struggled worldwide but don't blame that on the people that worked tirelessly to get the track upgrade done and then bring a major international motorsport event to the circuit. The first and second years saw pretty good crowd attendance too (helped a lot by the support of Taupo District Council, which sadly didn't maintain its support).

But the sad fact is, if you get too far into debt to finance your development (of any kind not just racetracks) you will always struggle to keep your head above water.
You have to give them credit for trying and bringing A1GP in was a good try. I thought the A1 series had some good racing and it was a great concept hobbled by the weird business dealings in the background. That was probably the fastest formula series to race in NZ since F5000.
Old 13 Feb 2015, 02:53 (Ref:3504430)   #29
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I am surprised to see such an ignorant and patently untrue comment by you, Mountainstar. I have lived in Auckland all my life (apart from my big OE for a few years) and I know literally thousands of Aucklanders, and I have never ever ever met one who had not travelled extensively around the country. And I mean all over it. You are far more likely to meet someone like that in Invercargill or Dannevirke than you are in Auckland.

But I can't say I blame anyone for not wanting to go to Hamilton - that's why they made SH27 and the soon to be started Hamilton Bypass isn't it...?
No I'm not joking. I worked with him for a few years and he had been to Australia and the USA and then onto Europe and elsewhere but never bothered to travel south of Auckland. He said growing up his family always vacationed up north or went to one of the Pacific islands.

I also knew plenty of others from Auckland that had never been to the South Island or much further south than Hamilton.

So I guess I could see why Hampton Downs would be ranked as a great journey. I can only imagine what some might have thought of going to Taupo.
Old 13 Feb 2015, 03:46 (Ref:3504438)   #30
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Goat Boy;3504385] You are far more likely to meet someone like that in Invercargill or Dannevirke than you are in Auckland.

QUOTE]

Now you've done it!... The fine folk of the above mentioned towns are getting the pitchforks out and a'comin a-lookin....

Meanwhile; the hillbillies in Taihape are ****ed you didn't include them and once they find the 6 bullets (count them on one hand) for the six-shooter, they're gonna plant you in boot hill.
Old 13 Feb 2015, 04:49 (Ref:3504445)   #31
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
the funny thing about your post is.. Taihape has probably got more interesting things going on in or around their region than Palmy lol Mt. Ruapehu just up the road, Kune Mardi Gras, decent fishing, not bad hunting, hiking, etc.. plus you can throw yourself off a bridge a number of times.. if that's what you're into http://www.gravitycanyon.co.nz/

Palmy is flat and windy and has the Superstock Teams Champs.
Old 13 Feb 2015, 06:34 (Ref:3504453)   #32
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
the funny thing about your post is.. Taihape has probably got more interesting things going on in or around their region than Palmy lol Mt. Ruapehu just up the road, Kune Mardi Gras, decent fishing, not bad hunting, hiking, etc.. plus you can throw yourself off a bridge a number of times.. if that's what you're into http://www.gravitycanyon.co.nz/

Don't you live there?
Old 13 Feb 2015, 07:59 (Ref:3504466)   #33
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
do I live in Taihape? nope
Old 13 Feb 2015, 08:26 (Ref:3504470)   #34
sollitt
Rookie

Italy
Buonconvento
sollitt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
... far more likely to meet someone like that in Invercargill or Dannevirke than you are in Auckland.
Interesting that you would bring geography into this debate ... and particularly the towns you've mentioned.
Invercargill, or at least a community nearby, is home to the person who singlehandedly oversaw the destruction of everything that was great about our sport and yet has escaped the current turmoil unscathed to continue to enjoy the FIA gravy train in roles for which he is woefully unqualified.
Dannevirke, in contrast, is an enlightened community which, for over 5 decades, has permitted the use of it's facilities for some of the very best motorsport ever to have been seen in this country.
We are told, and which is borne out by behaviour, that Aucklanders procreation habits seldom venture outside of the family unit.
It's interesting that Crunch has brought Taihape into the discussion. THE town and car club which, more than any other in the country, embraced what NZ motorsport is about and delivered, year in year out, the very opitomy of motorsport utopia.
Interesting also that Palmerston North is home to the current President & senior Vice President of MSNZ. Need I say more?
Old 14 Feb 2015, 07:22 (Ref:3504765)   #35
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
Quote:

I love Taihape! Should I now mention I have about 20 cousins who live there?
Also spent a lot of time rallying there, great events...but also 3 years with a young driver who was based there who had all the talent in the world! A NZ Junior Champion that like so many just lacked the funds to move on. Poor bugger had to move to Masterton......
Old 14 Feb 2015, 07:27 (Ref:3504766)   #36
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
Oh; the good old days Promax. Spent many years hunting in State Forest 69 and trout fishing in the Hautapu River....

Went to Taumaranui today to compete in the Kururau Hillclimb which hasn't been run for 20 years. I first competed there in 1988 on road tyres (all you were allowed to run). It was/is an iconic event that was run by the local car club of 12 members who also ran some bloody good rallies in the 80/s and 90's. Alas the car club is no more and Hawkes Bay have restarted the event...good on them! But it is an illustration of our sport over the whole country where great events run by small clubs are gone; because the local towns are virtually gone.
Old 15 Feb 2015, 06:28 (Ref:3505068)   #37
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
[QUOTE=raymond;3504438]
Quote:
You are far more likely to meet someone like that in Invercargill or Dannevirke than you are in Auckland.

QUOTE]

Now you've done it!... The fine folk of the above mentioned towns are getting the pitchforks out and a'comin a-lookin....

Meanwhile; the hillbillies in Taihape are ****ed you didn't include them and once they find the 6 bullets (count them on one hand) for the six-shooter, they're gonna plant you in boot hill.
I like Taihape actually
Old 15 Feb 2015, 06:33 (Ref:3505070)   #38
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollitt View Post
Interesting that you would bring geography into this debate ... and particularly the towns you've mentioned.
Invercargill, or at least a community nearby, is home to the person who singlehandedly oversaw the destruction of everything that was great about our sport and yet has escaped the current turmoil unscathed to continue to enjoy the FIA gravy train in roles for which he is woefully unqualified.
Dannevirke, in contrast, is an enlightened community which, for over 5 decades, has permitted the use of it's facilities for some of the very best motorsport ever to have been seen in this country.
We are told, and which is borne out by behaviour, that Aucklanders procreation habits seldom venture outside of the family unit.
It's interesting that Crunch has brought Taihape into the discussion. THE town and car club which, more than any other in the country, embraced what NZ motorsport is about and delivered, year in year out, the very opitomy of motorsport utopia.
Interesting also that Palmerston North is home to the current President & senior Vice President of MSNZ. Need I say more?
When were you last in Auckland? 1960? About a third of our population are Pacific Islanders, another third are from the Asian subcontinent, there are a few rich white pricks who live in Remuera and Parnell but the rest of us are pretty much exactly the same as everyone else in NZ. Except people from Canterbury who are, let's face it, often a little strange (and there are quite a few of them living up here now too)...
Old 15 Feb 2015, 06:41 (Ref:3505073)   #39
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
When were you last in Auckland? 1960?
Haven't you noticed that often these critics of anything north of about Te Kuiti, rarely put any meaningful info into their profile - some of them not even where they live?
Old 15 Feb 2015, 06:53 (Ref:3505074)   #40
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond View Post

I love Taihape! Should I now mention I have about 20 cousins who live there?
Also spent a lot of time rallying there, great events...but also 3 years with a young driver who was based there who had all the talent in the world! A NZ Junior Champion that like so many just lacked the funds to move on. Poor bugger had to move to Masterton......
Masterton?? seriously??
Old 15 Feb 2015, 09:56 (Ref:3505095)   #41
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Masterton?? seriously??
could be far worse. there are former rally champions living in the Waimate area !!!............... i do hope they import their engine coolant !!!!!
Old 15 Feb 2015, 18:08 (Ref:3505212)   #42
The Realist
Racer

The Realist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taupo Circuit; Sold, or still for sale?
What's happening?
Old 15 Feb 2015, 18:50 (Ref:3505218)   #43
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
Taupo Circuit; Sold, or still for sale?
What's happening?

Mr Tony Quinn has invited interested parties and all the shareholders of the Taupo circuit to an informal meeting this evening, Monday the 16th of February, to hear what plan's he has for the circuit should they approve the purchase offer he has made to the Board of Directors.

This is not a formal Shareholders meeting so no votes can be taken on Mr Quinn's offer. The SGM is set down for the 26th of February to consider Tony's offer.

Perhaps 'The Realist' might like to go along as an "interested party" on behalf of this thread, and then we might all be better informed LOL.
Old 15 Feb 2015, 19:08 (Ref:3505223)   #44
The Realist
Racer

The Realist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Mr Tony Quinn has invited interested parties and all the shareholders of the Taupo circuit to an informal meeting this evening, Monday the 16th of February, to hear what plan's he has for the circuit should they approve the purchase offer he has made to the Board of Directors.

This is not a formal Shareholders meeting so no votes can be taken on Mr Quinn's offer. The SGM is set down for the 26th of February to consider Tony's offer.

Perhaps 'The Realist' might like to go along as an "interested party" on behalf of this thread, and then we might all be better informed LOL.
Thanks for the update Mark. It's an hour and a half down the road, and I'm busy this week. Hopefully you can wander on by and see what is on offer. We don't really want to loose a good track.
Old 15 Feb 2015, 19:27 (Ref:3505229)   #45
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
Thanks for the update Mark. It's an hour and a half down the road, and I'm busy this week. Hopefully you can wander on by and see what is on offer. We don't really want to loose a good track.

Its a lot longer from Auckland I can assure you of that.

And who said we might lose a good track? Thats not going to happen their are caveats on the circuit and a new owner will be subject to those.
Old 15 Feb 2015, 21:33 (Ref:3505278)   #46
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But aren't there three bidding parties, or are they combining as a consortium?

Tony Quinn, Warwick Mortimer, and a third party.
Old 16 Feb 2015, 03:25 (Ref:3505340)   #47
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
But aren't there three bidding parties, or are they combining as a consortium?

Tony Quinn, Warwick Mortimer, and a third party.
You are telling the story JDI, you obviously know a lot more than me about the possible sale of the Taupo race track, however, ask yourself why Tony Quinn would need or indeed would want anybody else involved? I at least do the answer to that question.
Old 16 Feb 2015, 05:42 (Ref:3505354)   #48
MalcolmC
Racer

New Zealand
Down there a bit
MalcolmC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Last edited by MalcolmC; 16 Feb 2015 at 05:53. Reason: Thought I'd better not say it.
Old 16 Feb 2015, 08:02 (Ref:3505372)   #49
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
A special general meeting of the Taupo Track shareholders has been called to consider an offer from Tony Quinn to purchase the Taupo track.

Warwick Mortimer has also submitted a bid as I am told has another 3rd party.

Basically Taupo is flat tap broke and will either be sold or alternatively a receiver will have to be appointed.
With due respect, Mark, you told the story. I just listened intently and got curious.
Old 16 Feb 2015, 09:22 (Ref:3505390)   #50
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And who said we might lose a good track? Thats not going to happen their are caveats on the circuit and a new owner will be subject to those.
Can Highlands be hired out to private parties?

I'd be slightly concerned if Tony Quinn gets Taupo that not only will the prices go up, as you eluded to earlier, but also perhaps the private hirage of Taupo that was so easy to do in the past may go as well.

I understand Highlands may be unable to be hired due to the consent it has.

Also, Hampton is not in that bad a position. If you look at tracks elsewhere in the world they are often quite isolated from large population bases. Many of the successful tracks do have motel complexes on site now, but that is more recent infrastructure that was no doubt built upon the success of the track and the national and international events there. HD will never become anything if it can't have events like V8SC.