Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Jun 2017, 13:26 (Ref:3746255)   #1
DAYTONASME
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oulton Park's my local
DAYTONASME should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GOODWOOD FESTIVAL OF SPEED

For those unable to make it to Sussex UK next week, for this years 25th annual event, it will be “streamed” live -

Fri 30/6, Jul 1/7, Jun 2/7

....from 8.30am GMT daily for approx. nine hours (with content repeated overnight for International audiences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEhEbPoDtHo

Live timing(http://www.tsl-timing.com/Results/goodwood/)

Bonhams auction(http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24120/)

E
Old 25 Jun 2017, 11:16 (Ref:3746601)   #2
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I haven't been to the FoS since 2001 . . . . but I'll be there next weekend as I've been asked to run the ex Jackie Stewart Marcos Xylon, having been involved in its restoration. I've also been asked to help with the Lambretta Siluro.
Attached Thumbnails
Marcos.jpg   siluro.jpg  
Old 25 Jun 2017, 12:15 (Ref:3746609)   #3
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, both of those are a bit "special"...
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 25 Jun 2017, 12:22 (Ref:3746611)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, good to see some really special historic stuff there! The Marcos was Costin's first body design, from memory? Presume the Lambretta has retractable stabiliser wheels.....

Have fun, Joe.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 17:09 (Ref:3746727)   #5
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Yes, good to see some really special historic stuff there! The Marcos was Costin's first body design, from memory? Presume the Lambretta has retractable stabiliser wheels.....

Have fun, Joe.
Surely the Vanwall pre-dates the Marcos?
Old 25 Jun 2017, 19:07 (Ref:3746778)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Ah Yes, thanks for that. It certainly does! The Vanwall wasn't quite so 'opinion provoking' though......
Old 26 Jun 2017, 09:00 (Ref:3746902)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
The Vanwall wasn't an ugly Duckling! The Marcos is a joy to drive, although a little cramped for me.

The Lambretta is very special, and not easy to ride, you need to be small and agile. It needs a tow start due to extremely high gearing, its only 125cc but also ran a supercharger and hit 124.9 mph in 1951. most of the engine and transmission are bespoke, it has just been recommissioned less blower and with modified gearing for demo runs. There is also a new replica being built with a 'modern' Lambretta engine to try and replicate/beat that old land speed record. I believe this is the first time its left Italy.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 11:09 (Ref:3746924)   #8
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Doesn't the Lotus Mark viii predate them all?
Old 26 Jun 2017, 11:15 (Ref:3746928)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, reckon so Peter - 1955ish?

Joe, fantastic pair of charismatic machines.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 26 Jun 2017, 20:18 (Ref:3747097)   #10
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Since the FoS and SuperPrix clash once again we are combining both, Friday in Chichester and the weekend at Brands
Old 27 Jun 2017, 08:32 (Ref:3747214)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
The Siluro arrived yesterday and is an incredible bit of kit. looks utterly lethal!

you're basically cocooned in a thin skim of aluminium sitting on the cylinder head, virtually no steering lock and if you can bring it to a halt someone needs to catch you!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9926.JPG   IMG_9929.jpg  
Old 1 Jul 2017, 06:39 (Ref:3748066)   #12
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did I see the rider of the Siluro stick a foot through a flap in the bodywork to stop the machine falling over in the top paddock ?

Really enjoyed yesterday, once we managed to park, lots of lovely cars and a great entry of single seater and sports cars from Ferrari.
Having the paddocks extended up the hill is a great idea. More room for the cars to travel to and from the hill and for the spectators to wander about.
Old 3 Jul 2017, 14:19 (Ref:3748628)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Yes, the Siluro has flaps so the rider can put his feet down. a real challenge to ride . . . .unless you're 4' 11" as ROmolo Ferri was back in the day.
Old 3 Jul 2017, 14:43 (Ref:3748633)   #14
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice to see/hear Joe getting plenty of name checks during the event.
Old 4 Jul 2017, 07:23 (Ref:3748824)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Hard work but good fun, much more relaxed than the revival as it's more showboating and less wannabe super hero's, real cars too which makes a difference.
Old 4 Jul 2017, 18:18 (Ref:3748941)   #16
brands
Veteran

A couple of batches, first a few of the Ferraris from their 70th anniversary:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1035.jpg   IMG_1027.jpg   IMG_0732.jpg  

IMG_0664.jpg   IMG_0156.jpg   IMG_0056.jpg  

Old 4 Jul 2017, 18:24 (Ref:3748944)   #17
brands
Veteran

and some other marques:
Full gallery from Friday is http://motorsportintheuk.co.uk/p499590419
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0075.jpg   IMG_0099.jpg   IMG_0218.jpg  

IMG_0476.jpg   IMG_1101.jpg   IMG_1242.jpg  

Old 5 Jul 2017, 07:51 (Ref:3749033)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fantastic machinery, thanks John.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 5 Jul 2017, 08:59 (Ref:3749041)   #19
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Arthur made a little movie from his go-pro . . .I was only doing demo runs, and frankly was happy with that, the sun/shade made it tricky to see in places, especially as I didn't really know where I was going, or what was round the corner, most cars were trundling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdx8...ature=youtu.be
Old 5 Jul 2017, 14:29 (Ref:3749116)   #20
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
The Siluro arrived yesterday and is an incredible bit of kit. looks utterly lethal!

you're basically cocooned in a thin skim of aluminium sitting on the cylinder head, virtually no steering lock and if you can bring it to a halt someone needs to catch you!
There's rather a curious-looking three-wheel Lamberetta 'Mink' Prototype coming up for auction at Brooklands on Saturday.
Old 5 Jul 2017, 20:25 (Ref:3749168)   #21
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for the nice pics brands.
John, do you remember what I told you about Magny? Did you find any good pic, nice video or understandable press report? This is one of the difference between our country and yours as far as historic racing is concerned. Well to say few …
Old 5 Jul 2017, 20:41 (Ref:3749170)   #22
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Thanks for the nice pics brands.
John, do you remember what I told you about Magny? Did you find any good pic, nice video or understandable press report? This is one of the difference between our country and yours as far as historic racing is concerned. Well to say few …
I've just got an HF2 release so far, Gerard.
Old 5 Jul 2017, 22:24 (Ref:3749189)   #23
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that less than a dozen people posting on this event.
Does this tell us something about the popularity with the hard core enthusiasts?
Old 6 Jul 2017, 04:56 (Ref:3749226)   #24
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
Interesting that less than a dozen people posting on this event.
Does this tell us something about the popularity with the hard core enthusiasts?
To be honest, I don't think you can draw too many conclusions like that. Whilst various major anniversaries were celebrated, FoS is not so much an historic event now. Indeed much of it is looking to the future. Also you have to remember there were three major historic race meetings on the same weekend, in which some of the regulars on here were involved.

Watching the live screening for much of the weekend, FoS did look pretty crowded, but close-ups - particularly on Friday - made me think there were a lot of non Goodwood-type people there! The scrum in front of the House for the Bernie Ecclestone tribute on Sunday afternoon got a bit out of control & I'm told there were even people fighting...
Old 6 Jul 2017, 05:34 (Ref:3749230)   #25
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
John, I'm not a chauvinist you know that. I've rather rely on facts.
You could watch Goodwood on you telly, at Magny not sure the race director could watch all the races he had to take care! Remember when Simon Hadfield commented about Peter Auto having a new F2 euro grid? His conclusion was something like: lets see what's going on.
Monza, Peter Auto, 3 cars classified. Meaning that if I send my mother in law she can compete and jump on the podium. Well, jump… Magny? Average was 11 cars crossing the line. Magny FFord, no English, and very few in F3. Vox populi vox dei.