Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Mar 2003, 23:04 (Ref:552485)   #1
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Morgan to race on, in FIA GT and in Spa 24hrs, after Le Mans rejection shock

Even though the Morgan Areo 8's have been denied a entry at this years Le Mans 24hrs. The team will be entering the FIA GT this year, and of course the Spa 24hrs. Well fine if Le Mans dont want the Morgan the Spa 24hrs will have it! Should be a even better line up than the great 2002 line up for the Spa 24hrs. http://www.crash.net/news_detail.as...19&language_id= For anyone who wants some more info on the Spa 24hrs, which is now in its 3rd year visit the offical site, www.spa24hours.com great site.

Im a little confused as to why the Freisnger team have also been denied a entry for Le Mans this year, it seems as though the race is almost becoming a additional round of the ALMS than a stand alone race, Freisinger are one of the best Porsche teams in the world, and to be denied a entry is a bit of a shock, to me at least.

What does everyone else think about this? I think that the Spa 24hrs already has a better GT and NGT line up than Le Mans has.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 23:54 (Ref:552512)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The link to crash.net doesn't work.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 00:21 (Ref:552529)   #3
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh ok, well this one should do. http://www.crash.net/news_detail.asp...&language_id=1
Old 30 Mar 2003, 09:14 (Ref:552721)   #4
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Morgan to race on, in FIA GT and in Spa 24hrs, after Le Mans rejection shock

Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
What does everyone else think about this? I think that the Spa 24hrs already has a better GT and NGT line up than Le Mans has.
Comparing the number of GT and GTS running at Spa and Le Mans, the advantage goes obviously to Spa : the race can't be better than at Spa !

I think it's not necesserary to convinced any sportscar race fan that Spa is the major GT event. It is ! Well, to be more precise and to re-take my words, keep on supporting Spa here, we need your enthousiasm about it !

Le Mans, Sebring, ALMS are mixed categories races : I don't think it's possible to compare with Spa.

BTW, I'd like to launch a new small debate here : do you think that Le Mans should focus only on one category (prototypes, or C group as it was) ? Or that mixing Prototypes and GTs is a good thing ?

Last edited by Fab; 30 Mar 2003 at 09:20.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 10:38 (Ref:552783)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: Re: Morgan to race on, in FIA GT and in Spa 24hrs, after Le Mans rejection shock

Quote:
Originally posted by Fab

BTW, I'd like to launch a new small debate here : do you think that Le Mans should focus only on one category (prototypes, or C group as it was) ? Or that mixing Prototypes and GTs is a good thing ?
No, I don't think so. Although I really go to see the protos, I personally think the mix is essential - its what makes Le Mans so special. I'd just prefer to see more variety, particularly in the GT class - which is one of the reasons I was disappointed the Morgan failed to make it.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 12:29 (Ref:552854)   #6
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
The thing is with Spa, it has the potential to hold what, 62 cars. You could quite easily put the entire FIA GT grid there, and the FIA SCC grid there and have them race at the same time. Although there woudnt be any room for anything else, thats what I think will happen, and in some ways, hope what will happen but others Id like it to stay a GT race.

I just hope that the FIA does move in 2004 to allow factory teams to compete in the FIA GT series. Imagine having the Corvette's, Saleens, Ferrari 550s, Ferrari 360s, Porsche 996's, Carerra GT etc all racing and for once, being the centre of attention.

I agree that comparing the Spa 24hrs, and the Le Mans 24hrs cannot be done in some respects, but others it can. The tracks are similar, and a lot of the cars that u see there do race at Le Mans (even if Freisnger didnt get a entry!!!).

As for Le Mans being soley prototypes, or both LMP and GT, well in some ways Id like to see it stay like it is. But if u look at it from another perspective, if the Le Mans 24hrs didnt allow a GT and NGT cars (or GTS or GT) it would (providing the FIA allow factory teams to enter) make the Spa 24hrs the most important race for GT and NGT cars, therefore improving its reputation even further. But to answer ur question, for now (until FIA allow factory cars) I think that it should stay LMP and GT and NGT cars, the thing u have to ask though is, if the GT and NGT cars went, would there be enough of a good standard of LMP cars to make up a grid? I think u might struggle.
Old 31 Mar 2003, 05:22 (Ref:553415)   #7
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I just hope that the FIA does move in 2004 to allow factory teams to compete in the FIA GT series. Imagine having the Corvette's, Saleens, Ferrari 550s, Ferrari 360s, Porsche 996's, Carerra GT etc all racing and for once, being the centre of attention.
This could be the point for Spa : to be open to the great american GTs... the Corvettes at Spa !

Quote:
If the GT and NGT cars went, would there be enough of a good standard of LMP cars to make up a grid?
I don't know yet, but I think it could be easy to have alf of the grid with LMP 900 or so, and the rest with small prototypes racing their own race. Would it be more interresting ? As Ayse, I like the fact we have four races in one...
Old 31 Mar 2003, 06:46 (Ref:553449)   #8
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Variety is part of LeMans, and has always been. Together with the David and Goliath situation with major factory teams competing against true enthusiasts. I think it should stay this way. The Private teams are the life blood as they are always their to pick up the pieces when the factories move away, as is the case this year, and I am sure this is why the ACO continues to support the Porsches in GT as the historically bolster the field when the other categories are weak. I think and hope the 'LeMans Tournament'and the new rules will bring back some manufacturers, such as Porsche, Audi, Nissan, Maserati? But I think this year the racing could be better as no one team is clear favourite, especially after Sebring.
Old 31 Mar 2003, 08:46 (Ref:553529)   #9
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
variety is the spice of life

and le mans!
Old 31 Mar 2003, 08:57 (Ref:553532)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great shot kdr - thanks.