Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Jun 2014, 11:52 (Ref:3413702)   #351
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TEN will show only six(6) races live in full the rest of the series will be shown as highly edited one(1) hour shows at 8.30pm at night well after the races finish & after the other TV broadcast the results on the news. But if you can afford Foxtel you can watch all the races live.
Old 1 Jun 2014, 12:01 (Ref:3413705)   #352
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigs fly View Post
TEN will show only six(6) races live in full the rest of the series will be shown as highly edited one(1) hour shows at 8.30pm at night well after the races finish & after the other TV broadcast the results on the news. But if you can afford Foxtel you can watch all the races live.
and all qualyfying sessions and all practises. as opposed to the current channel 7 package where you get a 4 minute highlight package of qualyfying and virtually no practise sessions
Old 1 Jun 2014, 15:01 (Ref:3413758)   #353
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
and all qualyfying sessions and all practises. as opposed to the current channel 7 package where you get a 4 minute highlight package of qualyfying and virtually no practise sessions
Yeah because that's what sports fans want - practice sessions??????
Old 1 Jun 2014, 22:37 (Ref:3413945)   #354
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
some of us do

some of us dont like the highlights package channel 7 are dishing up at the moment either
Old 2 Jun 2014, 00:27 (Ref:3413973)   #355
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
atleast if it's aired you have the choice to watch it, if you are not interested in it you don't have to watch it.
Old 2 Jun 2014, 04:33 (Ref:3414025)   #356
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess what I was trying to say - is "some of us" enough of a customer segment who will pay $$$$ to watch practice sessions?

My take is for the average punter or "casual fan" V8SA loves so much - would be happy to miss practice sessions as along as they didnt have to pay to watch the races , as opposed to what they are facing in 2015
Old 3 Jun 2014, 01:01 (Ref:3414530)   #357
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I guess what I was trying to say - is "some of us" enough of a customer segment who will pay $$$$ to watch practice sessions?

My take is for the average punter or "casual fan" V8SA loves so much - would be happy to miss practice sessions as along as they didnt have to pay to watch the races , as opposed to what they are facing in 2015
The reason that they offer practice sessions as well as it makes it sound like a more complete package as part of the sell for the die-hard fan and because it costs them nothing extra to do it. They're set up for a week beforehand and the cameras are rolling from the first turn of the wheel, so you may as well broadcast it.

I could write a fairly lengthy post on what the overarching strategy is for all of pay tv, but I think most of the people in here would know 90% of it anyway.

The short version is:
  • For casual sports fans - having every major Australian and international sport live plus lots of replays to make it worthwhile for them to subscribe as part of their TV entertainment package.
  • For die-hard 'category' fans - to have such a comprehensive package for individual sports so that it is worth that fan's while to pay extra to be able to immerse themselves in that sport.
Of course there's a lot of crossover there. For a V8 die-hard who also follows NRL, having the V8 package on Fox might be the tipping point as now their two favourite sports are on Fox.

I've said previously - the Fox package is a great one for V8s and for fans and is long overdue. The FTA component is the big question mark on how many viewers they'll lose and how much impact that has on sponsorships

Really won't getting any clear answers until end of 2015 at earliest.
Old 3 Jun 2014, 02:15 (Ref:3414552)   #358
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
I've said previously - the Fox package is a great one for V8s and for fans and is long overdue.
Not for fans who aren't in a position to purchase a foxtel package, which I would be significant.

Quote:
The FTA component is the big question mark on how many viewers they'll lose and how much impact that has on sponsorships
I think the latest data was less than 1/3rd of Australians have Foxtel, which is going to have an impact of the areas you have identified above.
Old 3 Jun 2014, 03:37 (Ref:3414573)   #359
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Not for fans who aren't in a position to purchase a foxtel package, which I would be significant.

I think the latest data was less than 1/3rd of Australians have Foxtel, which is going to have an impact of the areas you have identified above.
It seems redundant to have to point this out again, but:
- Putting V8s on Pay TV is great because fans can get far more action, live. It is a sporting industry standard that is overdue.
- Reducing the live content on FTA is the bit that is not good for fans and is a risk for the sport.

You can embrace the extra choice Pay TV gives fans without supporting the reduction in FTA coverage. Just because they're connected as part of a single deal, you can have individual opinions on each element. Even if you aren't going to purchase Pay TV, you can surely appreciate this is good for fans that do.
Old 3 Jun 2014, 05:01 (Ref:3414582)   #360
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
you can have individual opinions on each element.
That you can and also the tv deal as a whole.
Old 3 Jun 2014, 07:57 (Ref:3414632)   #361
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
That you can and also the tv deal as a whole.
So do you think the Pay TV component, in isolation, is a good thing?
Old 4 Jun 2014, 04:25 (Ref:3415070)   #362
D.R.T.
Veteran

In isolation - yeah for sure, ad free and a good deal of $$$$$.

Sadly reality doesnt look at things in isolation though.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 04:35 (Ref:3415075)   #363
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if Denyer's new move to Channel 10 may have him chasing a Pit reporters gig, since he aint driving ??
Old 4 Jun 2014, 06:12 (Ref:3415093)   #364
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The FTA broadcast on ch10 will depend on weather 10 is still financial in 2015, & the way they are going at present in cutting programmes sacking staff showing 10 to 20 year old replays of shows that weren't funny or interesting first time around has got to make you wonder if they will still going in 2015. OR is it all part Murdoch's cunning plan to make everyone pay to watch sport on Foxtel.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 07:29 (Ref:3415103)   #365
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
I wonder if Denyer's new move to Channel 10 may have him chasing a Pit reporters gig, since he aint driving ??
The news keeps getting better
Old 4 Jun 2014, 08:38 (Ref:3415117)   #366
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigs fly View Post
The FTA broadcast on ch10 will depend on weather 10 is still financial in 2015, & the way they are going at present in cutting programmes sacking staff showing 10 to 20 year old replays of shows that weren't funny or interesting first time around has got to make you wonder if they will still going in 2015. OR is it all part Murdoch's cunning plan to make everyone pay to watch sport on Foxtel.
10 will be around in 2015 - but by 2017 is a valid question.

Even if they are, if they're not getting a return on the V8s and their financial woes continue, they could potentially abandon the rights.
Old 5 Jun 2014, 03:07 (Ref:3415537)   #367
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It'd be hard to measure the returns 10 would get in comparison to 7, when the bulk of the advertising has been made up of 7-owned companies.

Worth noting, is the amount of advertising the coverage itself now posesses since Mr Warburton moved in, not to mention bringing on board the likes of Pirtek, Castrol, Wilson and Sargent Security as naming rights sponsors of various events.
Old 5 Jun 2014, 04:29 (Ref:3415560)   #368
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
It'd be hard to measure the returns 10 would get in comparison to 7, when the bulk of the advertising has been made up of 7-owned companies.

Worth noting, is the amount of advertising the coverage itself now posesses since Mr Warburton moved in, not to mention bringing on board the likes of Pirtek, Castrol, Wilson and Sargent Security as naming rights sponsors of various events.
The coolest thing to see from the current management team of V8SA would be the achievement of a series sponsor. There hasnt been one since the days of the Shell Series...

Its amazing how many people still refer to the prime NASCAR category as Winston Cup, when Sprint/Nextel have been in the seat for a number of years...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Jun 2014, 05:22 (Ref:3415566)   #369
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was some reasoning behind it, going back to the early Cochrane days.

It was thought that a series sponsor's name would be lost in the hype generated from all the events that carry their own naming rights sponsors.
Old 5 Jun 2014, 05:43 (Ref:3415572)   #370
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
There was some reasoning behind it, going back to the early Cochrane days.

It was thought that a series sponsor's name would be lost in the hype generated from all the events that carry their own naming rights sponsors.
That could well be true, although the Pirtek Cup goes some way to eliminating that as a blocker to development...
Old 5 Jun 2014, 06:00 (Ref:3415580)   #371
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Maybe it was more that 7 had enough of him and wouldn't renew his contract rather than him leaving of his own accord and going to greener pastures
Old 5 Jun 2014, 13:02 (Ref:3415721)   #372
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The coolest thing to see from the current management team of V8SA would be the achievement of a series sponsor. There hasnt been one since the days of the Shell Series...
Sorry, going to call Bullsh on that. The series had TWO platform sponsors (Bigpond & VB, then Bigpond and XXX) for quite a few years after the end of the Shell sponsorship.
Old 6 Jun 2014, 00:14 (Ref:3415983)   #373
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Sorry, going to call Bullsh on that. The series had TWO platform sponsors (Bigpond & VB, then Bigpond and XXX) for quite a few years after the end of the Shell sponsorship.
Can you find someone, anyone who referred to the series as the V8Supercar Championship Series presented by Bigpond & XXXX?
Old 6 Jun 2014, 00:26 (Ref:3415985)   #374
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Can you find someone, anyone who referred to the series as the V8Supercar Championship Series presented by Bigpond & XXXX?
do you need to?

isnt the idea that people know you are a sponsor, otherwise you endwise you risk people calling your event the "Winston" cup when "Sprint" are the sponsor
Old 6 Jun 2014, 00:35 (Ref:3415990)   #375
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
do you need to?

isnt the idea that people know you are a sponsor, otherwise you endwise you risk people calling your event the "Winston" cup when "Sprint" are the sponsor
V8SC used to put out a media guide each year, requesting that the V8SC championship was referred to the full name, including the names of the presenting sponsors.

Except nobody in the media ever seemed to comply. Is this one of the reasons the three brand mentioned havent returned?

In the Indy series, Izod stood out as the championship sponsor, and FedEx before them... it was always presented in communications as the Izod series of the FedEx series...

.. yet we never saw V8Supercar Championship Series presented by Bigpond & XXXX in the paper or on the teev...

You burn up 2 lines in the column with all those words...