Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Mar 2014, 00:54 (Ref:3373414)   #176
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
be great, P4 about to start and im stuck watching some dodgy live timing (worse than last years) Next year I can watch it on TV and will have a much better live timing system
Old 1 Mar 2014, 00:58 (Ref:3373417)   #177
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The increase in teev income is great for the teams.. and without the teams.. there is no sport..

I am not a fan of the whole show being on Foxtel only, as I am not a subscriber, but can absolutely see why the sport wants to go that way.

Quite why the likes of #7 or #10 werent as accommodating with their multiple digital channels that are clogged up with arguably irrelevant old programs when the practice sessions and qualifying sessions and races are on, is beyond me.. and clearly why the sport has wanted to move to a more willing partner.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 1 Mar 2014, 01:06 (Ref:3373420)   #178
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The increase in teev income is great for the teams.. and without the teams.. there is no sport..
Agreed. The teams were crying out for $$$.

That said the impact on sponsorship and other revenue streams is the big downside to longer term sustainability.

Quote:
Quite why the likes of #7 or #10 werent as accommodating with their multiple digital channels that are clogged up with arguably irrelevant old programs when the practice sessions and qualifying sessions and races are on, is beyond me.. and clearly why the sport has wanted to move to a more willing partner.
Lets be honest here, V8SA have moved to a more willing $$$ partner rather than its ability to show the very exciting practice sessions.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 01:09 (Ref:3373421)   #179
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just think how many companies and business this will effect once the majority of fans and sponsors start leaving in 2015.

Print media - we won't need to buy Auto Action or V8X Magazine anymore so those magazines which are already struggling will go under. Motorsport already gets treated like a red headed stepchild by the big newspapers so with even less people following they won't bother to cover it at all.

SpeedCafe - I like many others will be taking them off my Facebook news feed after Homebush so their ability to sell advertising space will greatly diminish. They'll probably go under.

Anybody involved in V8 Supercar related merchandise - I don't mean the actual race teams themselves (that's probably all made in China anyway) I'm referring to companies like Biante or Classic Collectables. People aren't going to want to buy model cars for a sport they don't watch anymore.

The list goes on and on.

I'm getting seriously more miffed with every second I think about what has happened. I knew Warburton was bad news from the day he was appointed. He was fired from the Ten Network for incompetence and was also the genius that moved the Formula 1 telecasts from OneHD to Ten in SD. Now he's effectively killed V8 Supercar.

Tony Quinn is a very smart cookie. If a guy with his business acumen got together with Bettys money and seriously started promoting the Australian GT series (which already has it's own Bathurst) there's a huge opening now for it to become Australia's premier category.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 01:11 (Ref:3373422)   #180
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Lets be honest here, V8SA have moved to a more willing $$$ partner rather than its ability to show the very exciting practice sessions.
Of course, but the likes of #7 and #10 never saw the viability of being able to parlay an entire race weekend's activities into a consistent teev product.

Yet funnily enough, they seem more than happy to do so for the F1 and MotoGP weekends...

Old 1 Mar 2014, 01:14 (Ref:3373423)   #181
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've decided i'll sign up to foxtel, on the premise that its every session, ad free. Providing they will refund my money (for past months) when i see the first ad. I doubt they'l go for that (since we all know there will be ad's) but lets wait and see
Old 1 Mar 2014, 01:14 (Ref:3373424)   #182
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
Just think how many companies and business this will effect once the majority of fans and sponsors start leaving in 2015.

Print media - we won't need to buy Auto Action or V8X Magazine anymore so those magazines which are already struggling will go under. Motorsport already gets treated like a red headed stepchild by the big newspapers so with even less people following they won't bother to cover it at all.

SpeedCafe - I like many others will be taking them off my Facebook news feed after Homebush so their ability to sell advertising space will greatly diminish. They'll probably go under.

Anybody involved in V8 Supercar related merchandise - I don't mean the actual race teams themselves (that's probably all made in China anyway) I'm referring to companies like Biante or Classic Collectables. People aren't going to want to buy model cars for a sport they don't watch anymore.

The list goes on and on.

I'm getting seriously more miffed with every second I think about what has happened. I knew Warburton was bad news from the day he was appointed. He was fired from the Ten Network for incompetence and was also the genius that moved the Formula 1 telecasts from OneHD to Ten in SD. Now he's effectively killed V8 Supercar.

Tony Quinn is a very smart cookie. If a guy with his business acumen got together with Bettys money and seriously started promoting the Australian GT series (which already has it's own Bathurst) there's a huge opening now for it to become Australia's premier category.
I dont understand the hate. The sport will still be the same, you just cant turn on the teev and see the coverage live at all races.

But there will still be coverage, in a 1 hour package after the day's activities.

Perhaps with the benefit of time between when the race happens, and the highlights package is cut, that the broadcaster will go find out what certain cars DNF'd or performed badly... certainly they dont seem to do that with the existing FTA broadcast....
Old 1 Mar 2014, 01:15 (Ref:3373425)   #183
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The delayed 1 hour highlights package is a joke. Viewer numbers will plummet. Last race usually finishes around 5ish and 3 hours is a loooong time it todays world. Results plastered all over the net, 6pm news and social media, it's impossible to avoid. Once the results are know most wont even bother to tune in.

Maybe its time I step over into the pay tv world? Only 4 games of AFL shown on FTA each week, NRL almost non existent on Victorian FTA and now V8's.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 02:12 (Ref:3373435)   #184
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I live in an Asian city with approximately 100k Australians but no V8 Supercar coverage available on any TV channel, subscription or otherwise.

V8 Superview was a godsend, but it appears that is already unavailable, or will be from next year. Foxtel Go and Play are only available to Australian subscribers.

Any thoughts on how to get my V8 Supercar fix (ideally live) in 2015? (And possibly this year as well if V8 Superview remains broken...)
Old 1 Mar 2014, 02:20 (Ref:3373437)   #185
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
V8 Supercars will do just fine. Look back to the late 1980s/90 when touring car racing in this country prospered at a time when EVERYONE had to wait until 11 o'clock on Sunday night to watch the racing on TV.
Except that never happened.

It may have occurred in some states, eg Victoria and South Australia, but for the majority of the time, the southern football states got to see the races in the 5pm to 6pm timeslot.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 02:21 (Ref:3373438)   #186
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure the A-League or the KFC Big Bash Cricket will be used as a comparison for how popular a Pay-TV sport can be.

The difference these competitions were televised from the outset of the respective competitions on Pay-TV before moving either partially or fully to FTA. (ie... what previously had to be paid for, can now be seen for free)

V8Supercars is asking its fans to now pay for something they have previously gotten for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
V8 Supercars will do just fine. Look back to the late 1980s/90 when touring car racing in this country prospered at a time when EVERYONE had to wait until 11 o'clock on Sunday night to watch the racing on TV.
EVERYONE most certainly did not have to wait until 11 o'clock on a Sunday night to watch the races in the 80s and 90s

In Sydney and Brisbane the races were live (so were the supports) from 2-5pm, in the 90s it dropped back to delayed coverage from 4-6pm on the Sunday arvo's.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 02:22 (Ref:3373439)   #187
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I said before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
In this day and age of people trying to one-up each other, why would one pay for something that's available for free if there is not a benefit of paying for it?

Foxtel, and FTA, both to have exactly the same content???
Yeah righto.
So where are those people who were whinging about CH7's ad's, and their coverage being so terrible??

With a very dark forecast for the Australian economy in the next few years, do Foxtel really expect all V8SC fans to become subscribers?
Old 1 Mar 2014, 03:04 (Ref:3373445)   #188
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
I live in an Asian city with approximately 100k Australians but no V8 Supercar coverage available on any TV channel, subscription or otherwise.

V8 Superview was a godsend, but it appears that is already unavailable, or will be from next year. Foxtel Go and Play are only available to Australian subscribers.

Any thoughts on how to get my V8 Supercar fix (ideally live) in 2015? (And possibly this year as well if V8 Superview remains broken...)
You mean besides justin.tv?
Old 1 Mar 2014, 04:38 (Ref:3373463)   #189
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My family runs on a budget and I'll be buggered if I'm spending anymore money just so I can see what I should be able to see on FTA, so screw you very much V8SC. Bring on WEC on streaming.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 04:45 (Ref:3373464)   #190
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FWIW I think this is a shocking deal for many of the sport's fans, I'm flabergasted that the number of live FTA events is so low and it reminds me of the broadcasting (or lack thereof) from certain times during the 80's and 90's. I'm struggling to see how a mainstream sport could possibly think this was a good long-term deal, in fact I think they are seriously rolling the dice in a way that the other major sporting codes would not. Before anyone jumps down my throat, it's different for other sports that have numerous games over a four day weekend; of course they can spread part of their product over the Pay-TV channels. If they had the practice/qually/Saturday races on Pay, and the rest live on FTA I'd get it, but to me it's like V8s are self sabotaging by ostracising a large percentage of their fans.

And to put on an hour long highlights package later in the evening? In 2015? Wow, as someone else said, good luck to those trying to avoid the results through social media, news etc. And thus the interest from casual fans/fans without PayTV will lessen.

I'll be concentrating my viewing habits on F1 and MotoGP in 2015 I'd imagine. And Australian GT if it steps up even further.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 05:30 (Ref:3373473)   #191
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You mean besides justin.tv?
Well I'm not going to do anything illegal. Really would prefer a very high quality stream to take advantage of the gigabit fibre connection I have here.

V8SC in 4K TV would be a sight to behold!!
Old 1 Mar 2014, 05:38 (Ref:3373475)   #192
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
I give up on V8s

If it pans out as it looks, V8 Supercars can go **** themselves. This is a betrayal from V8 supercars.

A one hour highlights package? Whoopee. Less the 20 minutes of adds, less the 10 minutes of fluff & the podium.

Thanks V8 supercars for the 30 minutes of racing you're so kindly providing.

The winner here is going to be club racing & the Bathurst 12 Hr.

That's where I'll be spending more Sunday afternoons in 2015.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 05:47 (Ref:3373477)   #193
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos WTF View Post
If it pans out as it looks, V8 Supercars can go **** themselves. This is a betrayal from V8 supercars.

A one hour highlights package? Whoopee. Less the 20 minutes of adds, less the 10 minutes of fluff & the podium.

Thanks V8 supercars for the 30 minutes of racing you're so kindly providing.

The winner here is going to be club racing & the Bathurst 12 Hr.

That's where I'll be spending more Sunday afternoons in 2015.
Can't see either of them live on TV either. You will get to see 6 events live
Old 1 Mar 2014, 06:09 (Ref:3373478)   #194
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
The B12H provides a LIVE stream, so you will be able to see it live (he never mentioned anything aout live on FTA TV)

I'm sure if V8s provided a live stream the same, everyone would be ok with it
Old 1 Mar 2014, 06:10 (Ref:3373479)   #195
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You actually can Pecky in regards to the Shannons rounds via the free stream.

6 rounds is a lot less than the 14 or so events people have become accustomed to watching free & live on tv.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 06:12 (Ref:3373480)   #196
naca
Racer

naca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seven should pick up the shannons nationals and stick it on 7mate, will cost them bugger all to do and provide good tv.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 06:16 (Ref:3373481)   #197
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by naca View Post
Seven should pick up the shannons nationals and stick it on 7mate, will cost them bugger all to do and provide good tv.
They already have football, plus reruns of my kitchen rules will rate better and cost nothing
Old 1 Mar 2014, 06:33 (Ref:3373484)   #198
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
Quote:
I meant that since we're to be shafted on free to air coverage, I'll be spending those Sundays at Morgan Park, Queensland Raceway or Lakeside.

And you can be sure that I'll be letting team & series sponsors know too.
V8 Supercars obviously don't give a rats about the fans so they won't listen.

Get enough people telling the major sponsors that their product isn't getting the exposure they hoped for and we might see some improvement.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 06:36 (Ref:3373485)   #199
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos WTF View Post
I meant that since we're to be shafted on free to air coverage, I'll be spending those Sundays at Morgan Park, Queensland Raceway or Lakeside.

And you can be sure that I'll be letting team & series sponsors know too.
V8 Supercars obviously don't give a rats about the fans so they won't listen.

Get enough people telling the major sponsors that their product isn't getting the exposure they hoped for and we might see some improvement.
OK, would you have done that anyway?
Old 1 Mar 2014, 06:44 (Ref:3373486)   #200
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
Quote:
OK, would you have done that anyway?
No, Pecks. On race weekends I don't stray far from the TV. Even to the extent of boycotting a cousin's wedding (FFS it was Bathurst).

Bottom line is, me & some mates will be spending less time in front of the TV, and more at club meets at the SE Qld tracks.

A boost for regional tourism too!