Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Mar 2014, 07:29 (Ref:3373495)   #201
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos WTF View Post
A boost for regional tourism too!
Meet your mates at a local pub with foxtel. A boost for local business.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 01:07 (Ref:3373830)   #202
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it just me or did Warburton struggled at times when it came to trying to justify some of their decisions.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 07:29 (Ref:3373918)   #203
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post

Trouble is that you have to find a pub that has paid for the 'V8 package'.

Expecting fans to pay a monthly subscription for Foxtel is one thing; charging 'pay for view' on top of that is alienating even more of your supporter base.

I have had pay TV for nearly 20 years, but I won't cop 'pay per view' unless the cost is reasonable.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 22:06 (Ref:3374147)   #204
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One thing that hasn't really been mentioned here is why the V8s made the break-up of live and highlights.

When they analysed the viewer numbers, they found about 80% of their total viewership was in those six races. So Foxtel is paying big bikkies to have exclusive live coverage of rounds that were watched by only 20% of the viewers.

The actual PayTV component is massive leap forward and, quite frankly is overdue. This is the type of coverage that should have been negotiated in the previous round.

FTA coverage - I get the business case for it, I also get why fans are so upset. I don't have Pay TV and I won't get it - although I will look at their digital platform offerings if it's cost effective. Apparently the Foxtel Go app is very very good.

Superview will be available through that digital platform for international subscribers only - but of course a simple bit of VPN trickery can get around that, so if it's the same as this year you could get the whole season for $40.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 22:44 (Ref:3374157)   #205
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
GO to pub to watch V8's yep right if you can get them to change channel away from the racing - HORSE racing that is so you can watch the V8's good luck.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 22:52 (Ref:3374162)   #206
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigs fly View Post
GO to pub to watch V8's yep right if you can get them to change channel away from the racing - HORSE racing that is so you can watch the V8's good luck.
Exactly, pubs and clubs stopped being for the leisure & entertainment of members and guests a long time ago. Now it's all about sucking your finances dry through poker machines and TAB.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 23:02 (Ref:3374163)   #207
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Geez guys - the world really is glass half empty with a shot of arsenic chaser isn't it.

The pokies room is usually a separate section, as is the horse racing.

If you go to a pub with a couple of different sections they'll put one on for your sport if you request it. The main area will usually be for football though.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 00:51 (Ref:3374191)   #208
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you still not got it ? The v8s will be pay per view, not free on an existing foxtel sports package .
Old 3 Mar 2014, 02:03 (Ref:3374203)   #209
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
Have you still not got it ? The v8s will be pay per view, not free on an existing foxtel sports package .
No it won't.Foxtel charged a pay per view model with both Footy Channel Mark 1 and the Olympic Games.Both flopped completely and in Footy Channel Mark 2 and later Olympic Games they were given as part of the existing sport packages.If they couldn't get people to pay extra for these events (and they have never tried it for Rugby League)they are not stupid enough to think that people will pay extra for a minor sport like V8 Supercars
For people whinging they can't afford it the Sport Package means Foxtel costs about $2.50 a day.If you are a sport fan there is so much great stuff on there it is a bargain.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 02:30 (Ref:3374206)   #210
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
No it won't.Foxtel charged a pay per view model with both Footy Channel Mark 1 and the Olympic Games.Both flopped completely and in Footy Channel Mark 2 and later Olympic Games they were given as part of the existing sport packages.If they couldn't get people to pay extra for these events (and they have never tried it for Rugby League)they are not stupid enough to think that people will pay extra for a minor sport like V8 Supercars
For people whinging they can't afford it the Sport Package means Foxtel costs about $2.50 a day.If you are a sport fan there is so much great stuff on there it is a bargain.
True, but the minimum spend that will include the sports package is around $1000 a year. Yes it's great quality and you get a lot of sport for it - but that's still not cheap.

One of the consistent gripes about Foxtel is that you have to pay for stuff you don't want to get the stuff you do. If they simply gave you a menu that you could pick and choose from they'd get a lot more subscribers.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 03:19 (Ref:3374212)   #211
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
One of the consistent gripes about Foxtel is that you have to pay for stuff you don't want to get the stuff you do. If they simply gave you a menu that you could pick and choose from they'd get a lot more subscribers.
Absolutely!
I don't get Foxtel now, never have. Whether I do for 2015+ will depend on what the "V8 package" is, what it costs etc., and how much rubbish I don't want is packaged with it. And if the cost is $1000 annually, they can shove it sideways; will make do with what FTA doles out.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 03:20 (Ref:3374213)   #212
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
minumum cost for a foxtel sports package is $74 per month or $888 per year, however this includes access on your phone or tablet

there may be other options for telstra customers
Old 3 Mar 2014, 03:57 (Ref:3374215)   #213
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
minumum cost for a foxtel sports package is $74 per month or $888 per year, however this includes access on your phone or tablet

there may be other options for telstra customers
Checked out the Foxtel site, and yes, $74/mth minimum for the "Sports Package."

But this includes the "Essentials", which, to me, are 41 channels that are 100% non-essential. People that sign up for "essentials" only are charged $49 per month, making the 10 channel "sports package" a $25 add-on; with HD sport an extra $10/mth.

Should I expect to be able to get the 10 sports channels by themselves, with nothing else, for $25/month? Perhaps not; but if I get get just the 10 channels of Sport, with the HD option, for $40/mth I might be more inclined to think about it.

I can't help wondering how many extra subscribers they would get if they moved away from the Essentials Plus business model, and just sold people the channels that they wanted???? Also, Foxtel assume that every household is a family. Mine isn't, and the 2 dogs aren't fussy about what's on the box.

As for including phone/tablet access, bah, humbug. If I can't be watching it from my armchair on a decent TV screen, it means I am out, or doing something else.

The other school of thought is to stay away from Foxtel completely, and put the $888 into holidays. Might get to Le Mans once every 5 years!
Old 3 Mar 2014, 04:52 (Ref:3374222)   #214
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
To go from $0 to $888 per year is a decent smack in the face for previous V8SA supporters.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 05:03 (Ref:3374223)   #215
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
To go from $0 to $888 per year is a decent smack in the face for previous V8SA supporters.
The interesting thing is, do you want to pay $888 for only 8 rounds? Given that the six big ones are on FTA - you're effectively paying only for SuperSprint rounds.

Ok, so it's not exactly that simple, but if your rationale for signing up to Foxtel is so you don't miss your live V8 Supercars - that's effectively what you're paying for.

The Foxtel Go app I think will come to $50 per month - $25 for the 'Essentials' and $25 for Sport. If you then hook that up with a cable to your TV it might be a cheaper way of doing it.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 05:38 (Ref:3374227)   #216
birtek
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
birtek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
If you then hook that up with a cable to your TV it might be a cheaper way of doing it.
Which you can't do unless you Jailbreak - at least for apple devices
Old 3 Mar 2014, 05:55 (Ref:3374233)   #217
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by birtek View Post
Which you can't do unless you Jailbreak - at least for apple devices
My mate google, which is never wrong (haha) reckons you can buy an iPad to HDMI converter to play stuff off your iPad onto your teev... Here
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 3 Mar 2014, 06:12 (Ref:3374236)   #218
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
My mate google, which is never wrong (haha) reckons you can buy an iPad to HDMI converter to play stuff off your iPad onto your teev... Here
Yeah, I haven't really looked into it.

I do know from those that already have it that there's something in the Go app that prevents you mirroring it wirelessly from an iPad or Mac onto a TV, but not sure about HDMI cable.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 06:17 (Ref:3374238)   #219
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
Checked out the Foxtel site, and yes, $74/mth minimum for the "Sports Package."

But this includes the "Essentials", which, to me, are 41 channels that are 100% non-essential. People that sign up for "essentials" only are charged $49 per month, making the 10 channel "sports package" a $25 add-on; with HD sport an extra $10/mth.

Should I expect to be able to get the 10 sports channels by themselves, with nothing else, for $25/month? Perhaps not; but if I get get just the 10 channels of Sport, with the HD option, for $40/mth I might be more inclined to think about it.

I can't help wondering how many extra subscribers they would get if they moved away from the Essentials Plus business model, and just sold people the channels that they wanted???? Also, Foxtel assume that every household is a family. Mine isn't, and the 2 dogs aren't fussy about what's on the box.

As for including phone/tablet access, bah, humbug. If I can't be watching it from my armchair on a decent TV screen, it means I am out, or doing something else.

The other school of thought is to stay away from Foxtel completely, and put the $888 into holidays. Might get to Le Mans once every 5 years!
Pretty much my sentiments. If I could get a decent Poxtel package I'd think about it. All I want is V8 Supercars, Discovery, History Channel, National Geographic & some movies. I refuse to pay money for channel after channel of crap. Especially ancient sitcoms that I didn't laugh at
10-20-30-40 years ago.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 06:25 (Ref:3374241)   #220
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Since I'd be wasting time & bandwidth complaining to V8$upercars, I'm going to start emailing every sponsor I can think of.

Ask them how they feel about the much reduced exposure & air time that they'll get in 2015.

Years ago, one email to a team sponsor got me a reply from the team principle.

Get enough sponsors ****ed off and we might see some improvement.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 06:26 (Ref:3374242)   #221
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hearing that it will only get worse in the coming seasons.

Come 2018, it could well be that Bathurst is the only race shown live and FTA.
The rest will be PPV.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 08:24 (Ref:3374273)   #222
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
except in my case im going from zero to zero, I now get to watch qualyfying live, the same with practise session, less issues with time limited races

plus i get to watch all these overseas championships like WTCC and WEC and DTM and Nationwide

And i even get to see my favourite AFL team play who incidently is only on live tv for 8 games out of 22, with no highlights package on FTA

Is there an Australian sport that you can watch every game or event live
Old 3 Mar 2014, 08:30 (Ref:3374275)   #223
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post

The rest will be PPV.
IF that's the case then I guess I wont be watching V8's anymore with the possibility that the supercars might not exist by 2018.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 08:44 (Ref:3374279)   #224
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigs fly View Post
IF that's the case then I guess I wont be watching V8's anymore with the possibility that the supercars might not exist by 2018.
how can they not exist, they just signed a 6 year media contract. They are pretty much guaranteed to 2020 now
Old 3 Mar 2014, 08:45 (Ref:3374280)   #225
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post

The rest will be PPV.
Who do they think they are.. U.F.C ?!?

I wasn't that upset as I have pretty much a full Foxtel subscription and I wouldnt have to deal with the BS that 7 dealt up on the weekend. I recorded it Saturday only to find they switched channels or stuck the news in the middle and as such didnt get it all. Ended up watching the Speed replay at 9:30pm

I was of the initial belief it would be live on Foxsports or Speed. If they expect me to increase my already overpriced subscription they can jam it!

Finally starting to understand why so many people are so upset!