Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Mar 2019, 16:00 (Ref:3888936)   #951
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
They think the known world ends at the top of the Northern Line.
Well it does, I used to live there.
Old 7 Mar 2019, 16:05 (Ref:3888938)   #952
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I worked at the end of the Waterloo & City line for more years than I care to remember now I've discovered 'life'
Old 7 Mar 2019, 16:08 (Ref:3888939)   #953
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V33nqX3-ls

This should frighten all supporters of Brexit, but probably delight remainers.

Look in to the future and quail.

https://www.dianejamesmep.com/contact-diane/

Last edited by bauble; 7 Mar 2019 at 16:20.
Old 7 Mar 2019, 16:18 (Ref:3888941)   #954
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Bit of a project fear going on there! Anyway, I thought we were leaving?
Old 7 Mar 2019, 16:36 (Ref:3888942)   #955
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
I worked at the end of the Waterloo & City line for more years than I care to remember now I've discovered 'life'
If the trains ran on time you can thank my Dad, if they did not you can blame the unions.
Old 7 Mar 2019, 16:40 (Ref:3888944)   #956
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Labelling things project fear is a way of trying to nullify the threat, I an attempting to get hold of a copy so I can make up my own mind.

The fear factor is used by both side of the debate, but my only fear is that we won't leave at all. That terrifies me.
Old 7 Mar 2019, 22:02 (Ref:3889000)   #957
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
No Mike - this is 100% factual published EU policy. The writing's been on the wall for some time - new EU members being forced to join the Euro, abolishing the veto in 2021, changing to majority voting rather than unanimous, etc etc. If you understand and value democracy it's nothing but totally frightening.
Yes, we have to leave - to show other countries that it's possible and to save society and our freedoms for the following generations.
Old 7 Mar 2019, 22:36 (Ref:3889015)   #958
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
No Mike - this is 100% factual published EU policy. The writing's been on the wall for some time - new EU members being forced to join the Euro, abolishing the veto in 2021, changing to majority voting rather than unanimous, etc etc. If you understand and value democracy it's nothing but totally frightening.
Yes, we have to leave - to show other countries that it's possible and to save society and our freedoms for the following generations.

Add in the cashless society meaning that buying anything can provide a track of where you are and what you buy (for 'security reasons' of course), everything electric with smart meters providing control over whether you can put you lights on, heat your abode or cook a meal and even travel somewhere should the 'authorities' decide they don't want you to be able to travel other than on foot.

Still, we all have mobile phones that already do that tracking, right? And they are 'good', right? So obviously tracking is a good thing, right? And helps to keep good people safe whilst tracking bad people, right?

You'll even be 'safe' if your phone battery dies - the cameras will spot your face.

In the words of the song

""Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
(I)We'll be watching you"
Old 7 Mar 2019, 22:39 (Ref:3889016)   #959
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Some only see their only personal interests, not the big picture, leaving will disturb their comfortable little world, so they stick their heads in the sand, and fail to see their freedom steadily eroded by unelected bureaucrats.

The lack of democracy in the EU seems not to matter, as long as they can continue as before, to me at my age it does not truly matter, but I believe in this country, and would want future generations to enjoy the freedoms I have had. OK! It is not total freedom, but at least I have some control over the governance of the UK, but none over the EU,

It is no one's interest have a no deal Brexit, but the only way to get a 'deal' is to leave without one. A paradox.

Remove the blindfold, see the future.
Old 8 Mar 2019, 08:01 (Ref:3889070)   #960
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Democracy ... a term much bandied around by hard core Brexiters(along with (sonorous voice) controlling borders and the rest of the nationalistic rhetoric) - wonder what the voting record is of many of those who professed such concern? Because turnout for MEP elections was often below 40%, Police Commissioner often below 20% and local elections in the 30% region for many areas
Old 8 Mar 2019, 08:02 (Ref:3889071)   #961
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I've seen and heard all of the blather in the press (on the TV & radio) and really don't know what to believe. I honestly visit this thread whenever I realise it's been updated so I can find out what's really happening and to help myself decide what I think is the best outcome for us.
What a great community this is on Ten Tenths, International crosswords on Delta's Tea Break and informed political information on here
Old 8 Mar 2019, 09:00 (Ref:3889083)   #962
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Democracy ... a term much bandied around by hard core Brexiters(along with (sonorous voice) controlling borders and the rest of the nationalistic rhetoric) - wonder what the voting record is of many of those who professed such concern? Because turnout for MEP elections was often below 40%, Police Commissioner often below 20% and local elections in the 30% region for many areas
Well apart from the snide Brexiteer comment you Make a good point. If your figures are correct then it demonstrates how much faith the British public has in the European Elections. But you also demonstrate what democracy for the populace, is. People can choose to vote or not. Put that with the massive turn out for the referendum and you prove your point.

But let's not forget that there has also been a GE where again the turn out was larger than normal and the majority voted for parties who promoted leave.

Where it is all falling down is because the remain side have ignored democracy and spent enormous sums and energy trying to reverse a democratic vote.
Old 8 Mar 2019, 10:08 (Ref:3889102)   #963
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I can only speak for myself and say I haven't missed any opportunity to vote since I became politically aware which is getting on for 40 years ago. I'm at a dinner tonight which my MP is attending and he's going to be grilled in no uncertain terms why he's not representing his constituents' views on Brexit
Old 8 Mar 2019, 11:21 (Ref:3889119)   #964
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
I can only speak for myself and say I haven't missed any opportunity to vote since I became politically aware which is getting on for 40 years ago. I'm at a dinner tonight which my MP is attending and he's going to be grilled in no uncertain terms why he's not representing his constituents' views on Brexit
I sent my MP (for whom I did not vote) an e,mail reminding him of his duty to honour the referendum result regardless of Party, or personal preference, just as he respected the vote that got him elected.
As he is on the left I doubt it will make much difference, but our 'democratically elected' representatives should not go unchallenged when deciding to go against the 'will of the people'.

I have registered my interest in the Brexit Party and made a small donation.

Over 17 million people voted to leave, and some 600 (?) odd MP's are refusing to accept their decision. Should the 'Leavers' mobilise then Parliament itself is in grave danger.

On all of the talk shows, TV debates, and similar forums the Leavers have been extremely passionate, and straight forward. Leave is what they voted for and that is what the want and expect. Failure in that will cause a lot of anger.

A shame all of the remainers can't be deported to France or Germany, or better still Greece.
Old 8 Mar 2019, 11:31 (Ref:3889127)   #965
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I sent my MP (for whom I did not vote) an e,mail reminding him of his duty to honour the referendum result regardless of Party, or personal preference, just as he respected the vote that got him elected.
As he is on the left I doubt it will make much difference, but our 'democratically elected' representatives should not go unchallenged when deciding to go against the 'will of the people'.

I have registered my interest in the Brexit Party and made a small donation.

Over 17 million people voted to leave, and some 600 (?) odd MP's are refusing to accept their decision. Should the 'Leavers' mobilise then Parliament itself is in grave danger.

On all of the talk shows, TV debates, and similar forums the Leavers have been extremely passionate, and straight forward. Leave is what they voted for and that is what the want and expect. Failure in that will cause a lot of anger.

A shame all of the remainers can't be deported to France or Germany, or better still Greece.
Steady on Bob! Why should France be blighted with the Remoaners? A remote island somewhere would be far better. We have a Frexit campaign here too, you know.
Old 8 Mar 2019, 14:01 (Ref:3889161)   #966
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Steady on Bob! Why should France be blighted with the Remoaners? A remote island somewhere would be far better. We have a Frexit campaign here too, you know.

St. Helena?
Old 8 Mar 2019, 15:17 (Ref:3889171)   #967
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

It seems that some think the QE 'stimulus' for the Euro zone economy ended prematurely.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...e-on-ending-qe

Interesting times.
Old 8 Mar 2019, 15:55 (Ref:3889181)   #968
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Pretty old news. I alluded to this way back in the thread.
Old 8 Mar 2019, 17:11 (Ref:3889193)   #969
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Pretty old news. I alluded to this way back in the thread.

But I think that Mario has now set things in motion once again whereas before it was still speculation.
Old 8 Mar 2019, 17:23 (Ref:3889198)   #970
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post

So that's the post Brexit Britain I can look forward to, is it ? What next , being forced to watch the Great Escape and Dad's Army on endless repeat until I repent?
Old 8 Mar 2019, 17:31 (Ref:3889199)   #971
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
You can watch what you like, it's a free country. That's another democratic right you have. See, it's really easy.
Old 8 Mar 2019, 17:38 (Ref:3889200)   #972
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
But I think that Mario has now set things in motion once again whereas before it was still speculation.
Hmm, some of us who are "on the ground" so to speak, knew it would become reality as soon as the taps were switched off.

I'm still not absolutely certain if anyone has actually enunciated the reasons for staying in the EU. Simply regurgitating free movement of goods and services and people, is the reason why it doesn't work hence the leave vote.

As to suggesting the control of borders is either racist or xenophobic, I despair.

Try to work anywhere in the world outside of the EU and you have to be invited. There has to be a job for you and you have to be qualified for that job. But as with me you can get that job and work in those locations. I don't understand why that presents a problem to people.
Old 8 Mar 2019, 18:47 (Ref:3889209)   #973
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
So that's the post Brexit Britain I can look forward to, is it ? What next , being forced to watch the Great Escape and Dad's Army on endless repeat until I repent?
Not for you, so don't worry, you can enjoy the prosperity of Greece, lying in the sun all day, and drawing your generous pension from the state. Maybe you would prefer France, and the constant interruptions to life by union members taking to the streets, but do be careful where you park your car.

Germany offers a good economy, and welcomes all manner of people making for a truly multicultural experience. I am sure you will receive a warm welcome wherever you choose, the rest of us will just struggle along in the barren wasteland that the UK will become after March 29th.

You will be well out of it.
Old 8 Mar 2019, 19:48 (Ref:3889218)   #974
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Hmm, some of us who are "on the ground" so to speak, knew it would become reality as soon as the taps were switched off.

But he only turned the taps off a couple of months ago. Surely a decent, well considered grace period should be at least 6 months, preferably a year.

I read elsewhere predictions of some serious fatbergs interfacing with large and powerful rotating devices most likely some time this year.

If so things could get distinctly interesting rather quickly. Brexit might become a rather forgotten sideshow with none of the directly and solely Brexit related issue mattering a damn.
Old 8 Mar 2019, 21:40 (Ref:3889228)   #975
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Indeed and two months ago Italy was past going tits up.