Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 8 Jun 2003, 15:11 (Ref:624631)   #1
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
British Grand Prix Campsite

We are distributing this information through BMMC newsletters but as time is a bit short it is reproduced here for those to whom it is of interest.

Really not intended to provoke a discussion, at least not here.

Regards

Jim Whitaker
Chairman
Midland Region
BMMC

==========================================
GP CAMPSITE NEWS

There is good news about the Marshals’ campsite for the Grand Prix.

The shower and toilet facilities are to be increased from 4 to 8 units of each. These units will be in the adjacent field with access through a gate in the hedge from the campsite. They will be fenced so that this will be the only access. In addition there is to be a separate mains water supply to the campsite so it is hoped that the problems of last year will be avoided and hot water will be available at all times.

There will be a water bowser at the bottom of the site for the toilets only – this will not be drinking water. However there is to be a bigger water main at the top with more taps. In addition there are to be more standpipes spread around the site so that water should be more accessible and the need to take cars to the water should be avoided.

Shop facilities have been arranged for the site. Colin King will be providing the butcher’s shop and we are told that the problems of last year will not arise as this unit will be solely for meat. There is also to be a general store with the usual items being provided similar to those provided on the old site. There is also to be a mobile bar/fast food outlet/ shop available from Thursday to Sunday. Further details and opening times will be provided nearer to the GP. Also Calor Gas will be available in the village, though it will not be feasible to have this on site.

The plots are to be more easily identified this year and the layout should be such that there will be no plots on the steeper slopes. These can then be used for car parking if required. The area is to be covered by CCTV.

This year a system is being provided for the registering and logging of any complaints which might arise. The outcome of any action on the complaint will also be logged. Again further details of this system will be given later including the person(s) on duty at what times. The log will be kept in the security hut.

There will again be a party on Saturday night with the same band as last year. Arrangements are being made for the provision of some drink and food, and, again, more details will be given later.

There will be 24 hour security from 0700 on Monday 14 July until noon on Monday 21 July. These are also the hours during which the site is available to marshals.

Hopefully these improvements will prove satisfactory and avoid the problems which arose last year.

===========================================
Old 8 Jun 2003, 17:04 (Ref:624744)   #2
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sounds hopefull, well done to all those who have worked to make this happen.

One question, the letter says that the showers and toilets will be in the adjacent field etc., which field will they be in i.e. adjacent to which edge of the camp site (does that make sense?)
Old 8 Jun 2003, 17:08 (Ref:624747)   #3
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So ALL the showers and toilets are in the same place, wasn't that the problem last year???
Old 9 Jun 2003, 07:26 (Ref:625322)   #4
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No I believe the problems from last year were that firstly the circuit breaker tripped so the showers were cold (not that bad a thing after seeing the grid girls) and a stone got stuck in the water pipe and blocked the flow...

I definetly welcome the band and party back, last year it was execellent, and it is good to know that officials are not ignored all the time, when we present problems and issues in a constructive fashion they are listened to..

Thanks to the people at octagon (or who ever)...

Of course I reserve the right to withdraw that comment after he GP.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 08:40 (Ref:625372)   #5
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At least its looking good at the moment!

Well done to whoever has organised this!!!
Old 9 Jun 2003, 08:54 (Ref:625384)   #6
andrewmizzi
Rookie

andrewmizzi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: British Grand Prix Campsite

Quote:
Originally posted by JimW
There will be a water bowser at the bottom of the site for the toilets only – this will not be drinking water.
How many marshals over there drink from the toilet?
Old 9 Jun 2003, 11:16 (Ref:625575)   #7
turbo-ww
Racer

England
turbo-ww should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that Jim,

I trust the the food offer will be thought through with as much detail. Specifically with regard to the defrosting and heating (to a minimum temperature of 63 degrees BTW)

Martyn.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 11:48 (Ref:625621)   #8
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sure the food will be kept at the correct temperatures.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 13:42 (Ref:625806)   #9
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: British Grand Prix Campsite

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewmizzi
How many marshals over there drink from the toilet?
if needs must
Old 9 Jun 2003, 15:37 (Ref:625997)   #10
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will there still be the free barbeque fuel...
Old 9 Jun 2003, 15:57 (Ref:626026)   #11
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe a bit early yet to ask but is anyone up for a Ten-Tenthers Saturday Grand-Prix get-together?
Old 9 Jun 2003, 16:04 (Ref:626035)   #12
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by observer
Maybe a bit early yet to ask but is anyone up for a Ten-Tenthers Saturday Grand-Prix get-together?
We'll be at Mondello for the BSB that weekend!
Old 10 Jun 2003, 07:35 (Ref:626777)   #13
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having the free BBQ fuel visible is better than some farmer running over it with a mower and chopping it up into lots of little bits and spreading it around the field...
Old 10 Jun 2003, 10:23 (Ref:626926)   #14
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
I think we should have a get together, put more names to faces!
Old 10 Jun 2003, 10:43 (Ref:626941)   #15
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I notice that they haven't said anything about putting in a proper road/walkway this time round. Still, we all have cars capable of pulling caravans up a muddy hill covered in sheep **** don't we? Still, at least they're putting a drinking session on again.
Old 10 Jun 2003, 19:45 (Ref:627494)   #16
kevf
Rookie

kevf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
don't know where the campsite is for the grand prix and not going then but at the BTCC and will assume at the WSBK there was no I repeat no showers on the copse runway campsite ... had to walk over to the paddock bar ones... and to top it all the paddock bar was shut at night.... no sleeping juice raining very noisy on tent fabric no sleep...
Old 10 Jun 2003, 20:47 (Ref:627559)   #17
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i hope to catch up with as many people as i can over the weekend, as after 4 months in the gulf i've almost forgotten what happens when there's a social gathering of marshals ['going purple' as we call it at Croft].
look forward to seeing you next month.
Alan
Old 11 Jun 2003, 12:17 (Ref:628165)   #18
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be there and it would be great to meet, what night is the party, perhaps we could all arrange to meet there.
I have heard heaps of horror stories about marshalling at the GP mainly about the campsite so lets hope they deliver their promises.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 12:27 (Ref:628180)   #19
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apart from last year, I have marshalled at the past 7 or 8 GP's at Silverstone and have had no problems with camping.
OK, it get a little noisy at times with the funfair and firweorks, but that's what you'd come to expect at one of the country's most-attended sporting event.
I can't comment on last year, as I wasn't there, but on the old campsite, there was never a problem personally. Yes, you sometimes had to Q for a short while for a shower but that never spoiled my weekend!
I'm willing to give this year a go as it will probably be my last, so like Claire says, let's hope they deliver their promises.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 12:29 (Ref:628183)   #20
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Oh I nearly forgot.....I did get me tent "Run Over" by a car in 1997 at 4:30 in the morning. It squashed my alarm clock and crate of Bud, but nothing more serious than that!!
Old 11 Jun 2003, 12:45 (Ref:628209)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Jim, many thanks for posting the article.

It does seem as though the MSA and Octagon/Brands Hatch or whatever they are called now, are trying their hardest to address the problems of last year. Personally, I believe we should now go with an open mind and judge the facilities on the weekend. There is little point in discussing what might or might not be there before hand.

I would add that if the facilities are a great improvement on last years, we should all write and express our thanks to the organisers, either through the system available on the campsite, or by going direct.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 13:27 (Ref:628246)   #22
Garry Holmes
Racer

Garry Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good point Stephen, those upstairs are doing something, give them a chance. Thank you to those who have made this happen.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 15:48 (Ref:628425)   #23
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've just picked this up from Yahoo, it is also on Crash.net. It's clearly come from a press release, not sure who it was issued by - I'd guess the MSA??

Marshals to benefit from better GB GP facilities.

The UK's premier motor sport event, the British Grand Prix, takes place at Silverstone next month [18-20 July]. While millions around the world will watch the on-track action, few will appreciate the huge manpower required behind the scenes to make an event of this magnitude such a success.

Indeed, the entire Grand Prix meeting would not be a reality but for the dedication and enthusiasm of more than 1000 of the Motor Sports Association's registered volunteer marshals and officials, many of whom work tirelessly from dawn until dusk throughout the busiest and most important race meeting on the British motor sport calendar.

Late nights and early mornings dictate that around 75 per cent of the volunteers choose to camp within the venue at Silverstone. The MSA, as the governing body of UK motor sport and national organising body of the British Grand Prix, is committed to ensuring that its loyal volunteers are well looked after. To identify the precise needs of those staying at Silverstone for four or more days, the MSA - in association with its commercial arm, IMS - has set up a liaison group for marshals' representatives to work with Silverstone management. The main area of focus for the group is the provision of better facilities in and around the marshals' campsite.

The group, headed by marshals' liaison officer Geoff Littler, has identified a number of areas where improvements can be made to alleviate the inconvenience of temporary accommodation.

Firstly, the campsite will now be open for a full week. Showers and toilet facilities will be upgraded and their numbers increased to unprecedented levels, while hot water will be provided from a dedicated mains supply. More and larger rubbish bins will be available around the campsite, while new maps will be issued to help marshals orientate themselves around the vast Silverstone venue. Improved security arrangements at the campsite, including the use of CCTV, are also on the agenda, along with a first aid facility, reduced vehicle movement and stringent speed limits.

"It's not an understatement to say that the British Grand Prix couldn't go ahead without the help and dedication of hundreds of volunteer marshals," states Colin Hilton, Chief Executive of the MSA. "These volunteers are largely responsible for the smooth running of the event both on and off the race circuit. It's vitally important that their sterling efforts are recognised and it's only right that they are well looked after when staying at Silverstone. We have set up this special liaison group not only to define their specific needs and expectations but also to ensure that their recommendations are instigated."

A full list of the new measures introduced for the 2003 British Grand Prix is detailed below:

- The official marshals' campsite will be open from 07:00 on Monday 14 July until 12:00 noon on Monday 21 July.
- Showers and toilet facilities have been increased from four to eight units each.
- Hot water for showers to be on its own mains to prevent pressure problems.
- The provision of a bigger water main at the top of campsite plus a water bowser at the bottom for toilets only.
- Extra standpipes for drinking water will be located at various points.
- Water bins will be located around campsite.
- Special litter bins provided for party on Saturday night.
- 40 cubic yard refuse waste container will be located at campsite entrance.
- The provision of a general store facility - items available, price list and opening times to be confirmed
- The presence of an on-site butcher (opening hours: Thursday 16:00-20:30; Friday 16:00-21:00 and Saturday 16:00-22:00), selling fresh meats and eggs Telephone ordering service available 01327 857261.
- Marshals' party on Saturday night (in marquee), voucher for each marshal for burger/chips/drink.
- Mobile bar/fast food outlet/shop available from Thursday to Sunday.
- 24-hour security from 07:00 on Monday 14 July until 12:00 noon on Monday 21 July.
- Cadets will provide litter collection.
- Problem log in security cabin, with actioned details.
- Radio at security cabin to contact service providers for action when necessary.
- Map of route through circuit to fun-fair for Friday night.
- Speed limit of 5mph to be enforced on campsite.
- Vehicle movement to be kept to a minimum.
- Layout of campsite to be provided.
- The area is covered by CCTV.
- First Aid facilities available at the Outside Medical Centre by footbridge.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 16:03 (Ref:628437)   #24
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
I shall print a copy of this and see if these promises appear! If all these improvements ARE in place for us - then as mentioned earlier, we should, possibly via Peter Roberts, send thanks to the MSA working group and Octagon (Or whoever).

It's only a shame that these same people can't guarentee us some hot sunny weather and some decent racing.
I for one now think that I WILL use the campsite and hope that other ten-tenthers who were hesitant, follow suit.
It might not be the best racing we're gonna see this year, but let's make it a big ten-tenthers party!
Old 11 Jun 2003, 16:06 (Ref:628438)   #25
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I'm with you on this one Observer. The MSA can pay for the ten-tenths party