Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Nov 2004, 19:16 (Ref:1157308)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
V12 says Berger!

Gerhard Berger would like to see v12's return to F1,read at www.f1racing.net Would this be practical cost wise? Which engine configuration(s) would you like to see/hear?

Last edited by Marbot; 18 Nov 2004 at 19:20.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 19:20 (Ref:1157315)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Would love to have V12's back in F1, if only for their sound, but it ain't gonna happen.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 19:28 (Ref:1157323)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd second that.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 19:33 (Ref:1157332)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I was thinking along the lines of something Norbert Haug suggested,perhaps a V12(of maybe 3.6 litres)that was larger in capacity that could last longer than 2 races meaning less engines would have to be built.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 19:45 (Ref:1157348)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Love to hear the sounds of a V12 again, but due to these ridiculous new rules, it won't be happening anytime soon...
Old 18 Nov 2004, 20:02 (Ref:1157359)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think 5l turbocharged V12s would be the order of the day.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 20:24 (Ref:1157375)   #7
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Methinks Mr. Ashmore must have some undisclosed holdings in the emergency healthcare industry...

Old 19 Nov 2004, 00:19 (Ref:1157569)   #8
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I hate the prescriptive nature of the regulations. Manufacturers should be allowed to build a straight-eight or a flat-four if they want to.

Both Honda and Toyota have examined V12 concepts in recent years.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 01:04 (Ref:1157590)   #9
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing sounds sweeter than a Ferrari V-12 in full roar!

But I do agree with BSchneider, these restrictive engine rules are stifling the creativity of the series. I think more engine makers would look to F1 if they were allowed to produce the engines they want, and are good at.

Danica Patrick
Old 19 Nov 2004, 07:38 (Ref:1157731)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree too. Variety, please. So I'll change my answer to turbocharged 6l, but any coniguration.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 09:53 (Ref:1157850)   #11
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
More enigne makers just cannot afford to do F1 - that's why we keep having more and more restrictions! A four or five year stint at the top end of F1 engine supply would cost around a billion dollars at least - that just can't be sustained. More exotic configurations and solutions would be even more expensive. Perhaps if more open rules were combined with very strict regulations about materials it might be possible, but just don't see the point.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 10:10 (Ref:1157873)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
While I agree with your reasoning Glen, it pretty dull situation IMHO.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 10:41 (Ref:1157896)   #13
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nearly 20,000 rpm and 1,000bhp doesn't sound dull to me. Even when we have the V8s we'll only be going back about three or four years in bhp terms, and the rpm level will likely be as high or higher than now, pluas the engines and cars will be lighter. What's so dull about that?
Old 19 Nov 2004, 11:54 (Ref:1157970)   #14
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Nothing sounds sweeter than a Ferrari V-12 in full roar!

But I do agree with BSchneider, these restrictive engine rules are stifling the creativity of the series. I think more engine makers would look to F1 if they were allowed to produce the engines they want, and are good at.
BRM V16 !
Old 19 Nov 2004, 11:59 (Ref:1157976)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
Nearly 20,000 rpm and 1,000bhp doesn't sound dull to me. ... What's so dull about that?
Compared to having those things AND variety I think it is dull. The figures are impressive and exciting the variety would be interesting and exciting.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 12:42 (Ref:1158021)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Engines with cylinders in multiples of 3 ie 3,6,9,12 always seem to sound better,why is that?
Old 19 Nov 2004, 12:51 (Ref:1158028)   #17
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cos they can! My old Norton 600 single would do the "suck, squeeze, bang, blow malarkey every other telegraph pole there were no lamp posts were I lived.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 13:22 (Ref:1158065)   #18
eein
Racer

eein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I can understand the reasons behind the restrictions, it would be nice to see manufacturers free to make what engine they want. The cars would soon end up with similar amounts of power, but probably very different characteristics such that there would be much more overtaking and excitment in a race. When the cars have the same power and characteristics as they do now, things get processional.

Maybe 'alternative' restrictions could be put in place. For example;
- any engine format, but it must last 3 race weekends and not use exotic materials.
- any engine format, but it must only use X amount of fuel in a race.
- any engine format, but limited top speed of 200 mph and a limited lateral G around corners (FIA G meters to be fitted to cars).
Old 22 Nov 2004, 23:30 (Ref:1161334)   #19
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd love for V-12's to come back. This whole 2.4 litre V8 business sucks.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 23:48 (Ref:1161349)   #20
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe they should ban v10s, and give you the choice of 8 or 12 cylinders. both have their good and bad characteristics, whereas v10 engines have always struck me as being to perfect a compromise between power and driveability.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 01:06 (Ref:1161404)   #21
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
No no no. I hate the idea of banning things. It should simply be a free choice. If you can make a V12 work, good on you. Likewise if you want a flat four, knock yourself out.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 01:14 (Ref:1161406)   #22
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Every car maker has its strengths, but in F1, most cannot play to them.

For instance, American manufacurers have a long history making some great V-8 engines, arguably the best in the world, but they cannot use them in F1. Porsche has their fantastic Flat-6, that can get a great amount of HP, but again, they are no use in modern F1 due to the regs. Ferrari, obviously their V-12s are it for them(although their V-10s ain't bad! LOL!).

So if different engines were allowed to play in F1, something similar to sports cars, I believe that alot more engine manufacturers would show some interest.

Wouldn't it be great to close your eyes at the track, and actually be able to know which car just went by, just from the sound - "there goes the Porsche, and thats definetly the Ferrari, and listen to that Dodge come on strong!" OK, OK, I'm dreamin!

Danica Patrick
Old 23 Nov 2004, 01:15 (Ref:1161407)   #23
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why can't the rules be like motogp, where you can build several different types of engines under 990cc. Different engine configurations lead to different minimum weights. This leads to bikes with different charicteristics (ie. the more flickable nimble yamaha vs. the more powerfull honda).