Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 9 Mar 2014, 19:09 (Ref:3376797)   #1
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Driver fatality at Hampton Downs

I read the awful news that a driver was killed at Hampton Downs on the weekend. I thought there might be something on it here but apparently not.

As it was a "vintage event" according to the Herald I would expect the driver would be known amongst Roger and Ray's group. Very sad.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 22:29 (Ref:3376847)   #2
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was devastating to the close Formula Junior fraternity to loose one of our mates - Cooper T56 driver Len May.
Len was not only a fellow competitor but a friend so it is doubly sad.
The incident was a sole car accident at high speed at the sweeper at Hampton Downs and the cause is yet to be determined.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 22:40 (Ref:3376853)   #3
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
It was devastating to the close Formula Junior fraternity to loose one of our mates - Cooper T56 driver Len May.
Len was not only a fellow competitor but a friend so it is doubly sad.
The incident was a sole car accident at high speed at the sweeper at Hampton Downs and the cause is yet to be determined.
Roger, my wife mentioned (not sure where she got it from) that there was mention that he may have had a "cardiac event" but I'm not sure if that was a cause or an outcome of the accident. Very, very sad to hear about nevertheless.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 23:00 (Ref:3376861)   #4
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This very sad news indeed.
Condolences to the drivers family and friends, all the FJ community and to the track management.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 01:31 (Ref:3376899)   #5
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
Roger, my wife mentioned (not sure where she got it from) that there was mention that he may have had a "cardiac event" but I'm not sure if that was a cause or an outcome of the accident. Very, very sad to hear about nevertheless.
Due to the manner in which the accident happened there is speculation that a medical event may have been a factor - until this is determined it is just speculation.
It is very sad that we have lost a great guy who was passionate about his special car and Formula Junior racing. Our thoughts are with his wife and family.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 02:53 (Ref:3376916)   #6
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was very shocked and saddened to hear this news over the weekend. As above, my thoughts are with the family. It is never nice to hear about a death of one of the community.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 05:31 (Ref:3376941)   #7
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for your concern Goat Boy. I was doubly worried when I first heard the news as we left an hour before it happened and there is a fair crossover between our own series and the Formula Juniors.

Someone sent me a private message from the Roaring Season web site naming the driver - who I didn't know personally, though I was well aware of the car.

So sad, especially as we have not had a good run this year, with two injury accidents at Taupo in January.

Our condolences too, go to the family, who I gather had relocated from Christchurch after the earthquake and suffered considerable losses there.

So sad and as Roger says, the cause is speculation at this stage
Old 10 Mar 2014, 12:21 (Ref:3377060)   #8
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the big island to west (OZ) please pass our condolences to family and friends at this sad time.