Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 12 May 2018, 11:08 (Ref:3821656)   #251
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Can I suggest rather than trying to be right, the primary objective of discussion is trying to understand the other viewpoints and move the discuss on. Others may join in too if that is the case.
This is certainly what I've been trying to do, with pointing out the physics of how slowing a car quickly is more dangerous, but I am consistently getting the feeling that this point is being ignored. As you know, that sort of thing frustrates me to no end.

And while you haven't requested such, I do nonetheless apologize for letting my posts get a little...abrasive due to this frustration.
Old 12 May 2018, 11:08 (Ref:3821657)   #252
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Right, either you listen to Adam's advice or constantly calling each other 'wrong' will start to reap rewards...... I'm talking to you now FF..... Apology accepted, now let's move on.
Old 12 May 2018, 11:15 (Ref:3821663)   #253
Steve McQ
Racer

France
Steve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe they should not put thick white lines at the top of the Raidillon, but the exact opposite and dig small "trenches" 2 or 3cm deep and 10-15cm wide every 200cm of the runoff.
Old 12 May 2018, 11:17 (Ref:3821664)   #254
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Anyway back on topic, Jenson has completed his first test with the Dallara
He seemed extremely happy with it too. Probably not that dissimilar to the GT500 he's currently driving.
Old 12 May 2018, 15:10 (Ref:3821716)   #255
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I'm not the biggest follower of modern Super GT, so how close is a GT500 car to a LMP1 in performance and specs? I know that the GT500 has to be significantly heavier and down a bit on power, but IMO it's a bit far fetched to call a carbon-tubbed car a GT car outside of like the McLaren F1 or Ford GT. Silhouette car maybe, but not a GT car like the pre-2009 cars which were modernized Group 5/IMSA GTX cars and still used a production car unitbody between the front and rear firewalls.

Also, any words of a contingency plan given the possible shortage of spare parts? Dallara should be able to make a couple of tubs by the LM test day, but a lot of damage was done at Spa.

And also, why has this forum recently been giving larger space between paragraphs/separated sentences? I've had to go back and edit posts to reduce those gaps over the past few days.
Old 12 May 2018, 15:17 (Ref:3821718)   #256
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post

And also, why has this forum recently been giving larger space between paragraphs/separated sentences? I've had to go back and edit posts to reduce those gaps over the past few days.
No idea. I can't say I've noticed that.
Old 12 May 2018, 15:18 (Ref:3821720)   #257
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Pole for the recent Fuji race was 1:27.9. Pole for the 2016 WEC race (2017 was wet) was an average time of 1:23.6. Rebellion did a 1:28. So it's faster than the R-One was, but not as fast as the LMP1-H.
Old 12 May 2018, 15:35 (Ref:3821727)   #258
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Fine...whatever, cut my love for racing out of me. It's not like I'll be able to do anything when I can no longer sense the speed for myself, which will be true when every track is turned into CotA with respect to run-offs. Heck, in rain, I can't even tell where the track actually goes. Will you be happy then?

Nothing new, or of great detail, in that Tilke interview. Actually, if not for the slow corners leading onto straights, and the resulting accordion effect, the straights could actually be shorter. So no, wondering why that straight couldn't be 100 meters longer isn't really a question I've ever asked.

So I guess it's just inevitable to wait for everything that makes motorsport a meaningful, visceral experience to be slowly torn away piece by piece, right?
Old 12 May 2018, 15:40 (Ref:3821728)   #259
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post

So I guess it's just inevitable to wait for everything that makes motorsport a meaningful, visceral experience to be slowly torn away piece by piece, right?
Whatever you like. We've done this now and the rest have moved on with, oh yes, the BR1 Dallara LMP1 thread.....
Old 12 May 2018, 16:50 (Ref:3821744)   #260
andrewn7
Rookie

United Kingdom
andrewn7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandrewn7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw the skysports interview with JB earlier. He seemed delighted with the SMP Dallara and said he "couldnt wait" for Le Mans. I dont think the interviewer broached the topics of airborne cars or electrical shutdowns though!
Old 12 May 2018, 17:06 (Ref:3821754)   #261
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
As to the BR1, I'm pretty sure that Dallara shouldn't have much trouble making enough parts for the cars, including tubs. The question is is the car as safe/durable as it could be, and what of the glitch that may've caused Fittipaldi's accident, and is it connected to the other incident at Spa?
Old 12 May 2018, 21:00 (Ref:3821858)   #262
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Fine...whatever, cut my love for racing out of me. It's not like I'll be able to do anything when I can no longer sense the speed for myself, which will be true when every track is turned into CotA with respect to run-offs. Heck, in rain, I can't even tell where the track actually goes. Will you be happy then?
Thank you for finally admitting the true reason for your opposition.

Personally, I've never had an issue with the paved runoffs ruining anything about the sense of speed. Probably due primarily to the fact that I focus more on the cars themselves than the actual track. The cars are what I'm here for, after all - the track, to me, is just the place that enables the cars to do what they do, and as long as they can do what they do, I'll still get that same sense of speed out of them.

So...Yes, I'll still be happy. Even in the rain.

Have a nice day.
Old 12 May 2018, 21:05 (Ref:3821862)   #263
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
As to the BR1, I'm pretty sure that Dallara shouldn't have much trouble making enough parts for the cars, including tubs. The question is is the car as safe/durable as it could be, and what of the glitch that may've caused Fittipaldi's accident, and is it connected to the other incident at Spa?
I would be surprised if there's any connection given how different the two incidents were.
Old 12 May 2018, 21:27 (Ref:3821870)   #264
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
If the power steering cut out on the Dragonspeed car, it could have on the BR, though me saying that doesn't make it true, but something caused the car to go off line into the run off area, be it driver error, tire issue or something else.

I also saw a photo on Facebook of the Ford GT that went off there and it looked sort of lopsided when it was headed off track, like either a tire went down or the suspension collapsed.

Thus I do wonder if there's any similarities between the three accidents other than three cars getting trashed.
Old 12 May 2018, 21:29 (Ref:3821873)   #265
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
No idea. I can't say I've noticed that.
Not exactly the forum questions/issues thread, but it seems to do it both for quick reply and the advanced message boxes.
Old 12 May 2018, 22:35 (Ref:3821895)   #266
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
a quick aside before I begin, we need to stop referring to the SMP Dallara as the BR - BR is the actual chassis name -BR Engineer BR01- not the teams. When referring to the specific incidents we should use the driver or team name.

Quote:
If the power steering cut out on the Dragonspeed car, it could have on the BR, though me saying that doesn't make it true, but something caused the car to go off line into the run off area, be it driver error, tire issue or something else.
The thing is, the SMP wasn't THAT far off track. The slightest wiggle at the bottom of the hill could send a car that wide, whereas Fittipaldi's Dallara had a very obvious and distinct issue that sent him straight through the corner.

It certainly could still be the same cause, but a far greater number of contributing factors could have led to the SMP going wide, so combine that with the two entries have different engines(Dragonspeed runs the Gibson engine, SMP has the AER) and the electronics needing to be programmed differently for them would reduce the likelihood of the same issue cropping up, and you get why I would be surprised if the same issue was at hand between the two.
Old 17 May 2018, 13:16 (Ref:3823022)   #267
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
great video, from the streets to inside of the BR1 at Magny Cours

Quote:
Button’s Vlog: First Impressions of SMP Racing BR1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=UkuYPLzDM6A
Old 25 May 2018, 17:30 (Ref:3824587)   #268
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DragonSpeed Confirm LMP1 Return For Le Mans 24 Hours

Source
Old 25 May 2018, 17:40 (Ref:3824592)   #269
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Great news for the team and car. Button is in the news regarding the car as well. Appears there will be some modifications done to it before the test day and he has no worries about a flip happening again.
Old 25 May 2018, 17:55 (Ref:3824599)   #270
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Certainly good news,
Old 25 May 2018, 18:59 (Ref:3824620)   #271
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wonderful wonderful news!
Old 25 May 2018, 20:15 (Ref:3824630)   #272
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Maybe you all already noticed it, but on an interview to Pietro, when he talks about the cut of the energy of their car while turning at Eau Rouge, at the video it's noticeable how the front lights turn off and on.
Old 26 May 2018, 19:43 (Ref:3824818)   #273
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Maybe because of the compression at the beginning of the turn?
Old 29 May 2018, 00:40 (Ref:3825362)   #274
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Maybe because of the compression at the beginning of the turn?

Here is the interview, watch it, maybe I had miss something because my lack of english practice.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/n...2&s=1&q=pietro
Old 29 May 2018, 03:00 (Ref:3825372)   #275
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
Here is the interview, watch it, maybe I had miss something because my lack of english practice.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/n...2&s=1&q=pietro
I was saying maybe the uniqueness of the turn caused the electronics to cut out. I don't know if that's a good guess or not?