Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 11 Aug 2003, 08:28 (Ref:684777)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
My notes from MidOhio

The Reynards fared much better in the warmer air than I had thought they would. Many kudos to both RHR and Vasser, who would've won both the pole and the race had his gearbox not selfdestructed in 2nd quals.

This season Paul Tracy has passed four drivers to move into 2nd place on CART's all-time laps-led list.
6608 Michael Andretti
3312 Paul Tracy
3280 Rick Mears
3134 Al Unser Jr.
3105 Bobby Rahal
3054 Mario Andretti
2625 Emerson Fittipaldi

Servia's taking out of Junqueira was just as much Junqueira's taking out of Servia. A racing incident, nothing more. Servia was perhaps a bit too hot, but Junky never checked his mirrors. Oriol could have made the corner and completed the pass.

Paul Gentilozzi, a major player in the future of CART, blasts the officiating big-time on live TV. Not unlike what Forsythe has done in weeks past.

Mario Dominguez comes to a stop on the backstretch, just as final pitstops are beginning. No full-course caution comes out. The safety truck goes onto a green track and pulls his car away. I don't think I've ever seen CART do that before.

Tommy Kendall is a great commentator. Every bit as good as Parker Johnstone was.

Is MidOhio a physical track? After the race, Bourdais' hands were totally blistered, and Hunter-Reay's left elbow was bleeding so badly that it had soaked through his drivers suit. And not a single driver was standing when interviewed, all were seated along the pit wall.

I really enjoyed this race. The cars seemed very evenly matched and lap times were similar throughout the grid (to an extent!)
Old 11 Aug 2003, 13:01 (Ref:685002)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The shuffling of the officials seems to have worked (except for that alarming slip by the Safety Crew to fetch a stalled car off a hot track) -- there was no whining after either qualifying session, even by Michel Jourdain Jr. Gentilozzi was just doing some whining on account, I think, much as hockey players do after a penalty.

Emerson Fittipaldi needs to keep up with the rule changes. His outrage about his driver getting a penalty for blocking necessitated his partner in the team having to snatch him off live TV to explain to him what exactly the rules were these days regarding the "one move" thing.

American Spirit should provoke Vasser more often. He seems to respond to being dissed!

If drivers are now going to streak the track to celebrate their victories, does this mean some drivers are going to start getting in shape? (Paul was wearing boots -- not fair! Patrick's feet were bare!)
Old 11 Aug 2003, 21:15 (Ref:685544)   #3
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great observations.

Did patrick cut RHR off coming out of the pits when he took 2nd? Looked real close from the camera angle, but probably not, nobody protested.

Why didn't Dominguez get his car off the track as he rolled to a stop?

Tommy Kendall is great for CART, he's both funny and personable.

Junquera is always to quick to throw his hands up, isn't he? His seat harness wasn't even off yet!

Yes it was a good show! When CART puts on a good race, it really re energizes your enthusiasm for the series, doesn't it?

Danica Patrick
Old 11 Aug 2003, 21:32 (Ref:685567)   #4
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a nice race, the different strategies providing interest. It was also cool to see Patrick getting to second and Vasser in his best race for a long time. Shame he couldn't finish it off. Hunter-Reay drove a textbook race in the Reynard.

Junqueira/ServiÃ*: 50-50 I say. Oriol was a bit optimistic and was not fully alongside. That said, he had to try as it's so hard to pass in Mid-Ohio, and Oriol only bounced into Bruno because Bruno forced Oriol onto the kerb. I think Bruno should have looked in his mirrors. He said "it was early in the race", but what did Oriol have to do? Wait behind him all the race?
Old 11 Aug 2003, 21:52 (Ref:685597)   #5
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
American Spirit should provoke Vasser more often. He seems to respond to being dissed!
Liz-

Explain this more....I didn't hear about this.
Old 11 Aug 2003, 21:54 (Ref:685601)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Camcartfan... Because Hunter-Reay qualified 2nd, and Vasser 14th, the team opted to take all of the "best" over-the-wall personnel from Vasser's pit and lend them to RHR for the race, effectively giving full team support to only one driver. According to Tommy Kendall, Vasser was none too happy about it.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 00:37 (Ref:685733)   #7
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The officiating has been REALLY stupid this year. I've yet to hear a complaint that wasn't valid. (maybe Emmo's..)

Kendall is decent, but I've yet to hear a comentator in any sport that's close to Parker.

I think PT's lap leads show a career that has been spoiled for the most part. It's unbelievable how little success he's had compared to his speed. The years at Green were not that successfull either. There were flashes of brilliance, but you never knew before hand if PT would be a contender in any given race.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 02:58 (Ref:685769)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think PT has always been treated as an outsider or a live grenade by his teams before this year. Players has spoiled and pampered him and I think he needs that, to feel secure so he doesn't have to do nutty things to get attention.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 03:36 (Ref:685781)   #9
MolsonRox
Rookie

MolsonRox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's true, Liz. I notice Tracy to be very mature compared to previous years.

Did anybody see the brief interview following the race with Sebastian Bourdais? I feel sorry for the poor guy...the reporter commented on the big sweat stain he left on the wooden log he was sitting on, he then asked to see all his callouses and blisters on his hands and he also commented on the blood that soaked through the elbow of his uniform. Some reporters really have no class.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 03:40 (Ref:685788)   #10
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just diverge a little from Macdaddy and Jordi: I believe Junqueira did look on his mirrors and he knew that Oriol was where he was.

On that lap, Junqueira exited Turn 1 poorly (late braking at entry? Missed a downshift at entry?) and Oriol had a run on the Brazilian. Junqueira proceded to drive on a defensive line all the way from Turn 1 to the Keyhole, keeping his Lola significantly more to the right of the track than usual (see video again). Hence I believe he knew Oriol was right at his neck.

Also - and exactly because of his approach onto the Keyhole, out of the ideal trajectory - Junqueira took the turn 'a la James Hunt (see video...). Unsurprisingly, the close-open-close by Junqueira - all out of a driving error on the previous turn - gave Oriol even more chance of taking a bite... What he just did.

Just a racing incident.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 11:46 (Ref:686089)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Bruno showed maturity in not jumping out of his car and giving Servia the Townsend Bell Treatment. It must have been difficult for him and I commend him for getting it back on the road and grimly doing the best he could after such a massive disappointment.

As for no class in the pitlane, that has been pretty much SOP for CART reporters for years. I will never forget the nitwit who stood at TCG after Greg Moore was killed, trying to discuss the championship with a very distraught JPM until Chip made him cease and desist by simply imposing his not inconsiderable self between Montoya and the reporter and saying WE HAVE NOTHING TO SAY.

Although I was astonished and concerned to see the condition Bourdais was in after the race, I did think they leaned on the poor guy too long. He and RHR were proof that racing is indeed the provenance of athletes.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 16:46 (Ref:686374)   #12
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Note to SPEED TV crew .....

Toronto is in Ontario
Montreal is in Quebec
Vancouver is in British Columbia

We have provinces up here. I never understand why these guys continue to butcher the location of Canadian cites. Identifying them as Toronto Canada, Montreal Canada etc. is insulting. Why does this continue? Are they just lazy, geographically ignorant, or perhaps it's just an American thing?

Sheesh !!!

Ted

Old 12 Aug 2003, 17:05 (Ref:686389)   #13
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
We'll find out soon enough, if Calvin Fish gets his way and Paul Tracy is indeed voted the next Canadian President!
Old 12 Aug 2003, 19:29 (Ref:686547)   #14
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think most American's know Canadian Provinces, but other parts of the world may not. Or maybe it's just me, because I vacation in Vancouver often.

Last edited by camcartfan; 12 Aug 2003 at 19:30.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 20:25 (Ref:686585)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's defiantely an America thing. They always refer to their own palces as Detroit, Michigan, Dalla, Texas or whatever, but international cities become London, Englands or Frankfurt, Germany. I guess their kids ahve enough trouble with state capitals int ehir own land without worryin about another 200-odd nations.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 20:46 (Ref:686602)   #16
Liz
Veteran

Well you have to say Paris France or people will think you mean Paris, Texas (there is such a city) -- and we have to say London England here because otherwise people will assume we mean London Ontario. Which we usually do.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 21:27 (Ref:686639)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Congrats to PT. Another 3,300 laps led and he will be in second place all time.

For having such a non-distinguished career in CART and at Indy (at least from what I see in the Forum from time to time), it seems Michael has led one heck of a lot of laps! Makes you notice what an accomplishment Michael's consistency and speed have been over the years, fan-friendliness factor notwithstanding.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 22:56 (Ref:686728)   #18
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Well you have to say Paris France or people will think you mean Paris, Texas (there is such a city) -- and we have to say London England here because otherwise people will assume we mean London Ontario. Which we usually do.
There is also a Paris Ontario.

Ted

Old 13 Aug 2003, 11:43 (Ref:687025)   #19
Liz
Veteran

It works the same way within the States -- there is a Paris Ohio too -- and Akron NY as well as Akron Ohio ... since people move around a lot it's a good idea to point out which city you are talking about.

I talked to a friend last night who had just returned from Mid Ohio. She said that everyone in her group agreed they had seen more of PT than they ever wanted to see. And they hope Vasser never decides to streak the track!