Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

PHILLIP ISLAND CLASSIC
Calendar: Historic Racing
Mike Bell
Race Official

7 Mar 2019 to 10 Mar 2019 21:30 to 09:30
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings

Old 28 Feb 2019, 17:21 (Ref:3887377)   #16
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
I’m excited for those attending, and more than a little envious! Just watched highlights of the WSBK meeting, and it reminded me of what a great circuit and location it is.

Hope you find your camera battery, john875. If you get time to post after the meeting some photos would be great!
Old 1 Mar 2019, 11:08 (Ref:3887531)   #17
GreenMachine
Rookie

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me and a few mates have booked a house for the three days. I am going to need about 100gb of cards, several batteries, and some pre-event weight training to lift the camera bag, if previous years are any guide ...

I won't look at the forecast until a couple of days beforehand, it's on the coast and too changeable, I'll go prepared for anything.

I missed last year's historics, and looking forward to a more relaxed visit this time, last year I managed a team for the PI 6hr relay and didn't have time to scratch myself :-(

Hoping to catch up with a long time mate who ran FF back in the TAA days, he's hoping to get there if he can escape grandparent duties for a day.
Old 6 Mar 2019, 04:38 (Ref:3888547)   #18
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mentioned in the Delta thread we welcomed Iain to Melbourne with a shower of rain early afternoon coinciding with his arrival..

Forecast is a bit better for the weekend though.

Thursday Min 13 Max 22 Partly cloudy. 20% chaince of rain.

Friday Min 15 Max 24 Partly cloudy.

Saturday Min 15 Max 25 Partly cloudy.

Sunday Min 16 Max 26 Possible shower. (40% chance, 1mm)

http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/phillipisland.shtml

For Ian's benefit track temperature hourly forecast here: http://www.myweather2.com/activity/h...00603&id=41893
Junior Member - The Great Bauble's SOF Club. Member #4
Old 6 Mar 2019, 05:00 (Ref:3888552)   #19
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ce n'est que mon avis bien sûr, mais avec de telles activités et ces températures là, puis-je me permettre de recommander un peu plus qu'une douche tous les quatre jours… Sinon ça va puer!
Old 6 Mar 2019, 05:32 (Ref:3888557)   #20
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Ce n'est que mon avis bien sûr, mais avec de telles activités et ces températures là, puis-je me permettre de recommander un peu plus qu'une douche tous les quatre jours… Sinon ça va puer!
Showers at the circuit. Failing that the sea is very close!
Old 6 Mar 2019, 07:19 (Ref:3888572)   #21
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ok here safe and sound . Looking forward to meeting Dave or E B as we know him . Been up since 2 am but love the track . Everyone is just so helpful and kind .,We we’re going to walk the track but spoke to Ian Tate and he told us to jump in his car and took round for a couple of laps . We stopped just after start finish line and wow what a view looking over the ocean . Anyway bit cream crackers so pasta and beer then bed . Hope to do a few laps tomorrow in Cooper Maz then hand over to the owner .
Old 6 Mar 2019, 07:38 (Ref:3888576)   #22
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
E.B would be great to arrange a short video of the first Maserati song. Have fun and be safe all.
Old 6 Mar 2019, 08:11 (Ref:3888583)   #23
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Ok here safe and sound . Looking forward to meeting Dave or E B as we know him . Been up since 2 am but love the track . Everyone is just so helpful and kind .,We we’re going to walk the track but spoke to Ian Tate and he told us to jump in his car and took round for a couple of laps . We stopped just after start finish line and wow what a view looking over the ocean . Anyway bit cream crackers so pasta and beer then bed . Hope to do a few laps tomorrow in Cooper Maz then hand over to the owner .
Ian Tate is a fabulous and very helpful guy, and he isnt too shabby with engines either.... he gave my Group Nc Cortina engine a freshen up for me back in the day and it never missed a beat, despite my attempts to ring its neck!

He also built many of the Holden teams engines in the ATCC from the late seventies, and that includes a few Bathurst winners.

@ Iain glad you got there ok and I knew you would love the track. Not much to not like about the place.
Old 6 Mar 2019, 19:36 (Ref:3888769)   #24
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All the best Iain, and don't get too distracted by the view......I remember doing that gazing at Snowdon whilst racing at Anglesey - and finding the corkscrew came up a bit quick!
Old 6 Mar 2019, 22:02 (Ref:3888796)   #25
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
All the best Iain, and don't get too distracted by the view......I remember doing that gazing at Snowdon whilst racing at Anglesey - and finding the corkscrew came up a bit quick!

Don't forget to make sure they have rounded up the 'Roos before you go out on track.

You may find a few in a fenced area near the circuit. Obviously the pen is outside the active area ... or it was when I saw it a few years ago.
Old 7 Mar 2019, 00:59 (Ref:3888822)   #26
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This place is amazing . There is serious race cars here . We are getting a lot of attention . Had a crowd waiting for me to fire up the car . Hit start button and nothing . Errr forgot to connect up battery . Red face . Just going out now for a play but we might have fuel supply problems . Sure is a long straight .
Old 7 Mar 2019, 10:26 (Ref:3888892)   #27
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Not sure where to start . Had the most brilliant day . So many people come by for a chat .Lots and lots of interest in the car . Owner let me loose this afternoon . Did around 8 laps . Need to do 80 to get on the pace and learn properly . I’ve been invited to drive AC Cobra but have had to declinie as it is in same race as our car . Will come back next year with F Ford and have some fun. BT W and this is not exaggerating there are geese on the track and I mean right on the apex . They don’t move . Your coming by inches away and they just carry on chewing the grass . Finished up prepping the car around 7 pm and ran back to hotel around 4 miles away . Lovely evening then got made even better when I saw several kangaroos . We ended up having a race . Just an amassing day .
Old 7 Mar 2019, 10:56 (Ref:3888898)   #28
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Glad you are enjoying the place Iain. See you tomorrow (Friday). Just throwing some clothes and toothbrush in a bag now. And the bike I mentioned for you to use if you want.

Re the geese, yes they are a hazard. One took out a motorbike on the main straight last year at MotoGP!. onboard Video in this news link
https://thewest.com.au/news/offbeat/...ng-b881010435z

Last edited by E.B; 7 Mar 2019 at 11:08. Reason: Added goose video and pic at MotoGP.
Old 7 Mar 2019, 17:51 (Ref:3888958)   #29
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire almost in Pakistan
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I shall look forward to meeting you .
Be careful what you wish for ……………………………… you have to wonder why he was deported in the first place.
Old 7 Mar 2019, 19:06 (Ref:3888976)   #30
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
We are in garages 4 and 5 Dave .