Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Apr 2019, 06:48 (Ref:3897881)   #3196
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's history. Ignore that at your peril.
Old 16 Apr 2019, 07:01 (Ref:3897883)   #3197
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Looks like the main stone structure is still standing, but of course that doesn’t mean it isn’t damaged by the heat. Hopefully like a race car after an accident- remove all the damaged and broken bits and it never looks quite as bad.....
When rebuilt will that make it a resto-mod / modern build then Mike? And all the modern technology and parts .....

(Removes tongue from cheek)
Junior Member - The Great Bauble's SOF Club. Member #4
Old 16 Apr 2019, 07:13 (Ref:3897885)   #3198
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
On the history aspect it is at times like this when I get reminded of European (and other ) history.

In the current situation we have history dating back several hundred years.
Yet here is Aus we dont have any building more than just over 200 years old. Of course we have Aboriginal history going back tens of thousands of yeears but
I remember explaining to people when showed the oldest buildings in Aus and NZ that my house at the time in England was a cheap workers cottage almost 250 years old. And I only bought that because I could not afford a 'proper' old house, or for that matter a new build!

Times like this it is a stark realisation of the history in Europe I never appreciated until I got here.
Junior Member - The Great Bauble's SOF Club. Member #4
Old 16 Apr 2019, 07:30 (Ref:3897890)   #3199
crmalcolm
Veteran

Ireland
crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
On the history aspect it is at times like this when I get reminded of European (and other ) history.

In the current situation we have history dating back several hundred years.
Yet here is Aus we dont have any building more than just over 200 years old. Of course we have Aboriginal history going back tens of thousands of yeears but
I remember explaining to people when showed the oldest buildings in Aus and NZ that my house at the time in England was a cheap workers cottage almost 250 years old. And I only bought that because I could not afford a 'proper' old house, or for that matter a new build!

Times like this it is a stark realisation of the history in Europe I never appreciated until I got here.
I remember the time-span of history being demonstrated in the archaeological programmes such as Time Team. When digging in the UK, they typically start with heavy machinery to dig the first few feet, before going delicate.
When they are in US or Australia, they start delicate straight away because the history is so near the surface, not buried under 1,000s of years....
Old 16 Apr 2019, 07:38 (Ref:3897893)   #3200
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire almost in Pakistan
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On the Beeb, an architect has predicted that modern techniques will be used to rebuild in the ancient tradition, and is fairly sure that the basic structure is still sound, but it will take 10 years to fully restore.
Old 16 Apr 2019, 07:45 (Ref:3897895)   #3201
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's architects for you. No idea of schedule or structures.
Old 16 Apr 2019, 07:48 (Ref:3897898)   #3202
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I remember the time-span of history being demonstrated in the archaeological programmes such as Time Team. When digging in the UK, they typically start with heavy machinery to dig the first few feet, before going delicate.
When they are in US or Australia, they start delicate straight away because the history is so near the surface, not buried under 1,000s of years....
Speaking of history:

https://exit.al/en/2018/10/08/the-tr...o-archaeology/
Old 16 Apr 2019, 08:17 (Ref:3897903)   #3203
zefarelly
Veteran

England
zefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Philosophy seems to work for historic racing

The church are wealthier than most states, they can afford renovations. How do you think they managed to build such monsters in the first place.

Quote:
Old 16 Apr 2019, 08:20 (Ref:3897905)   #3204
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Exactly. I wasn’t even thinking of any religious significance when looking at the burning building!

Finding the right wood for the roof structure will be a challenge, and the skills to replicate what was there.....
Old 16 Apr 2019, 08:45 (Ref:3897913)   #3205
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Exactly. I wasn’t even thinking of any religious significance when looking at the burning building!

Finding the right wood for the roof structure will be a challenge, and the skills to replicate what was there.....
By coincidence the man working on the roof of Michele's house at this very moment is fully qualified to work on historic buildings, so he might well be busy for the next few years! Good job she got in first.

A large sum of money has I gather already been pledged by the government towards repairs.
Old 16 Apr 2019, 09:39 (Ref:3897926)   #3206
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
That's architects for you. No idea of schedule or structures.
....or budgets .
Old 16 Apr 2019, 10:50 (Ref:3897948)   #3207
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
By coincidence the man working on the roof of Michele's house at this very moment is fully qualified to work on historic buildings, so he might well be busy for the next few years! Good job she got in first.

A large sum of money has I gather already been pledged by the government towards repairs.
I gather the President has asked other members of the EU to put a hand in their pockets as well......

From what I heard and read, the oak beams were from 900 year old trees located in a specific forest? If correct, that sort of detail will be hard to replicate.
Old 16 Apr 2019, 10:58 (Ref:3897950)   #3208
gary396
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I was reading elsewhere an article by a Frenchman who attended an event at Versailles some years ago regarding disaster recovery and long term planning. They were told that trees are 'ready & waiting' there if they were ever needed for such a situation at Notre Dame. Specifically planted / grown for such a disaster scenario - long term planning indeed.

Very forward thinking if correct.
Old 16 Apr 2019, 10:59 (Ref:3897951)   #3209
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Anyone living in the Donington area may be interested in the link below. New Ginetta showroom opening where the Caterham one was......

https://www.bookatrack.com/downloads...oom-launch.pdf

And RSVP here.... http://www.bookatrack.org/rsvp

Oh, an official opening.

I thought it had been operating as such for quite a while - ever since Ginetta took over Bookatrack.

I'll contact my Ginetta oqing pal to see if he has had an invitation.
Old 16 Apr 2019, 11:17 (Ref:3897953)   #3210
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Oh, an official opening. I thought it had been operating as such for quite a while - ever since Ginetta took over Bookatrack.
Could be, ‘official’ openings aren’t always an actual opening! Get yourself there in case there’s freebies.......