Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 14 Nov 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1765910)   #126
Tim Draffan
Racer

Tim Draffan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like the BRSCC initiative from a few years ago "Racing ahead" or something, quick fire meeting 10 minutes qualifying and two 10 minute races
no green flag laps.

But I dont think it helped get spectators through the gates
Old 14 Nov 2006, 13:33 (Ref:1765924)   #127
cannardd
Racer

United Kingdom
London, England
cannardd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You only have to visit Castle Combe to see how it can be done.
As soon as previous race is finished, cars are released from the collecting area direct to the grid (no formation lap).
While they form up the winners of the previous race are interviewed just in front of the grid. They then have their parade lap on the pickup, followed by their race cars. The course car follows this group.
As soon as that lap is finished the green flag lap starts, followed by the race start.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 14:53 (Ref:1765986)   #128
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like I,ve already said ,the only way to improve on the gate figures is by the race organizers keeping the race "gaps" to a minimum,local press to be informed etc, then its down to us to put on a good enough "show", when racing abroad the drivers are classed as entertainers!.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 15:01 (Ref:1765995)   #129
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whereas here we are seen as clowns
Old 14 Nov 2006, 16:30 (Ref:1766056)   #130
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Or muppets that pay the wages
Old 14 Nov 2006, 16:33 (Ref:1766061)   #131
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw
Whereas here we are seen as clowns
I would have thought the least a clown would work for was nothing!
Old 14 Nov 2006, 16:35 (Ref:1766063)   #132
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now you're depressing me Denis
Old 14 Nov 2006, 16:43 (Ref:1766068)   #133
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Bassom
I would have thought the least a clown would work for was nothing!
How wrong could you be !
Old 14 Nov 2006, 16:46 (Ref:1766071)   #134
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Where's those regs John (and/or Dennis?).
Old 14 Nov 2006, 17:21 (Ref:1766086)   #135
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Here's an interesting comparison... The Birkett 6hr team handicap. I did that at Silverstone recently. There were fifty 6-car teams... 300 cars of all shapes, sizes and era's. Morning practice was none competitive, just needing all cars to do at least three laps. (I went out for about 20 mins). Then followed by a continuous 6 hour race starting at 11am with 50 cars on track at all times. With most teams, each car is on track for 1 hr usually in two 1/2 hr stints. At the last meeting, only 3/4 hr was under safety car, the rest was none-stop action.

A spectators delight you might imagine... didn't see too many myself though :-(
Old 14 Nov 2006, 17:44 (Ref:1766096)   #136
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
Here's an interesting comparison... The Birkett 6hr team handicap. I did that at Silverstone recently. There were fifty 6-car teams... 300 cars of all shapes, sizes and era's. Morning practice was none competitive, just needing all cars to do at least three laps. (I went out for about 20 mins). Then followed by a continuous 6 hour race starting at 11am with 50 cars on track at all times. With most teams, each car is on track for 1 hr usually in two 1/2 hr stints. At the last meeting, only 3/4 hr was under safety car, the rest was none-stop action.

A spectators delight you might imagine... didn't see too many myself though :-(
Did the Organgrinders advertise it??
Old 14 Nov 2006, 17:46 (Ref:1766099)   #137
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I remember back in the seventys,Anglia Tv used to have ads for just about every race at Snett.And yes ,wether it was the ads or not ,at least the public were made aware of it and there were always good gates .I know things have changed but if those ads had carried on ,I wonder what it would be like now!

Last edited by terence; 14 Nov 2006 at 17:51.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 17:48 (Ref:1766100)   #138
cannardd
Racer

United Kingdom
London, England
cannardd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
I remember back in the seventys,Anglia Tv used to have ads for just about every race at Snett.
LWT used to mention events at Brands Hatch during their Friday evening news too.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 18:01 (Ref:1766106)   #139
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I have a nice video at home we bought from Anglia TV featuring the ModProds, professional filming and professional commentry, they did a fine job.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 03:00 (Ref:1767313)   #140
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here in Australia, most meetings get very poor gates, except for the V8 Supercars and some Historic meetings. Many people bleat on for hours about all of the changes we need to make to a race meeting to get bums on seats, but they overlook the most obvious critical point, advertising.

People will not go to a race meeting, if they don't know it's on.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 08:21 (Ref:1767418)   #141
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Its been said many times on this forum and indeed this thread David, but in the UK we have this ridiculous standoff between circuit owners and organising clubs who hire the circuits but don't get to keep the gate reciepts.

So it always boils down to why (and maybe rightly) should the clubs waste their money advertising if they see no extra return for the effort where as the circuit owners have covered there profit margin for the weekends hire and more punters means more staff so why bother and so it goes on round and round for ever like a Ground Hog day nightmare.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 08:49 (Ref:1767444)   #142
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Did the Organgrinders advertise it??
To the best of my recollection it was in most of the motor racing mags and advertised at some of the other race tracks (not that many people would see it there).
Old 16 Nov 2006, 18:18 (Ref:1767960)   #143
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But that is usually the problem, there is not much need to advertise an event amongst racefolk as most people are aware what is / will be happening.
The other punters, who have nothing to do with racing but willing to try anything, are the ones that we need to reach. And they do not read racing magazines, do they?
Old 17 Nov 2006, 07:15 (Ref:1768277)   #144
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Its been said many times on this forum and indeed this thread David, but in the UK we have this ridiculous standoff between circuit owners and organising clubs who hire the circuits but don't get to keep the gate reciepts.

So it always boils down to why (and maybe rightly) should the clubs waste their money advertising if they see no extra return for the effort where as the circuit owners have covered there profit margin for the weekends hire and more punters means more staff so why bother and so it goes on round and round for ever like a Ground Hog day nightmare.
Aaahhh, that's a problem. In Australia, most organising clubs who hire a circuit get the gate and pay the circuit owner a flat fee for hire of the facility. Sadly though, many of them then make no effort to advertise and the gate is bugger all.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 19:32 (Ref:1778018)   #145
Metroman
Rookie

Metroman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Falling Attendances

Interestingly, the discussion seems to centre around falling entries but it is the falling spectator attendance we should be most worried about. In the last 35 years, I have noted that, in the North East, we lose about 10% of the competitor base and a similar number of marshals each year.
In order to maintain a static number we need to recruit both competitors and marshals. And where do they come from? Off the spectator bank.
Unless the Circuits, and it is their responsibility, start to realise this and promote ALL meetings as effectively as Castle Combe has, then Circuit Racing will very quickly return to the 'Gentleman's Sport' (ie only the weathly) it once was - and it will be all the sadder for it.
Gate staff have to be employed anyway as there will always be a few diehards. Surely it is better that they be fully employed all day selling tickets. Create promotions such as MINI driver gets in free, passengers pay or a two for one. Increase the gate to 1000 (profit for event increases), better atmosphere therefore more people come next time (even bigger profit).
Am I being nieve?
Old 29 Nov 2006, 20:09 (Ref:1778045)   #146
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
will the ddmc be working more closely with the barc now the barc control croft, terry as i dont see the nsscc and the n/w sports/saloons being two separate championship much longer

Last edited by big andy; 29 Nov 2006 at 20:13.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 23:28 (Ref:1778175)   #147
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by big andy
will the ddmc be working more closely with the barc now the barc control croft, terry as i dont see the nsscc and the n/w sports/saloons being two separate championship much longer
One BIG championship then! Good news in my mind.

The subject of gate vs club vs circuit operators, does make my eyebrows go north a little when you think about the BARC running Thruxton, Mallory, and now Croft.

The have an ideal opportunity here to reduce entry fees dramatically by ramping up promotion, and taking a leaf out of the Castle Combe book of how to please spectators, and keep them coming back time after time (bringing their friends too!). The reduction could be done via a rebate scheme, based on (a) grid numbers, and (b) value of the gate.

Will they do that??

Look - over there - a pig with wings.......

Rob.