He is - don't be so daft. 3 16.67%
Neither - you are both wrong, and I'm going to tell you why. 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8 Jan 2008, 19:49 (Ref:2102118)   #26
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Yes that's just what happened to Plato in the fire on the tele the other week. And I would assume he was wearing the best gear available.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Jan 2008, 21:15 (Ref:2102154)   #27
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shortly after "Seppi" - Jo Siffert - was so sadly killed at Brands (I was there: never ever want to see anything like it again. I was standing next to Jenks and he walked away very dour-faced), The Jim Clark Foundation (I seem to recall??) found that the best protection was afforded by Nomex top suit: Nomex longjohns and roll-neck vest etc with cotton singlet and shorts.

Whilst big chunky watches might look cool in adverts, a distinct no no, like rings or indeed any other macho stuff like ID bracelets and neck chains when interfacing with machines.

They become caught and tend to rip off body parts.....................
Old 9 Jan 2008, 09:55 (Ref:2102427)   #28
GordonG
Racer

GordonG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plato

I thought the problem was that Plato was testing something that was supposed to be a road car, so he was wearing "civvies" and got quite badly burned. If he'd been wearing his full nomex kit he'd have been OK.

The fact that the car in question seems to have an appalling track record of reliability/safety is another matter...

G
Old 9 Jan 2008, 10:19 (Ref:2102439)   #29
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rings and things

But only slightly.

To add to the rings debate; the wearing of piercings under helmets, especially if no balaclava is worn, has all sorts of potential for damage.

If we have to remove a helmet from an unconscious driver, then piercings tend to become caught and can, if sharp, also become a hazard to those removing the helmet. Removing a helmet takes a considerable amount of force and the extra resistance due to something being caught is unlikely to be detected. Result? - torn flesh.

Best advice is either to remove or tape over.

Piercings other than under the helmet? - let's not go there.

Regards

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 9 Jan 2008 at 10:20. Reason: Add title
Old 9 Jan 2008, 11:09 (Ref:2102481)   #30
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My uncle was ultimately fine and made a full recovery thanks. 4 broken ribs were more painful than the fire damage on his hands though. What he did say was that he remembers sitting amoungst flames for a while (he was in a single seater) and then the fuel tank exploding and not being able to breathe.

As a result of this accident I have had bag tanks fitted to both my cars!! I think this would have prevented the above happening at all and they should be made mandatory in all cars.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 11:35 (Ref:2102498)   #31
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I read that a young girl with a belly button piecing was seriously injured when the seat belt pushed it inside her in a crash ! I'd better not do up my crutch strap with my Prince Albert

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 9 Jan 2008 at 11:38.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Jan 2008, 13:38 (Ref:2102579)   #32
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't the FIA have some strong recomondations for the removal of all body piercings and ear rings for safety, and in the event of an accident that safety personal can quickly cut away clothing?
Old 9 Jan 2008, 13:48 (Ref:2102590)   #33
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm pretty sure the MSA either issued similar advice or promulgated the FIA instructions. However, a search of the Blue Book for 2008 does not find any such advice.

Regards

Jim
Old 14 Jan 2008, 12:19 (Ref:2105865)   #34
steveng
Racer

England
Beverley East Yorkshire
steveng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What do you people make of those fire-proof curtain things F1 drivers wore in the 70's that hung from their helmets? I seem to remember James Hunt always wore one. It would certainly cover the gap at the neck.
The advice about the metal watches is good, thanks.
Old 14 Jan 2008, 14:29 (Ref:2105960)   #35
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to race with one of them after my fiery experience. Not bad those things, but a bit heavy and uncomfy.
I guess the fact that you had to put velcro tape on your helmet put most drivers off.
Looked cool though.
Old 14 Jan 2008, 17:38 (Ref:2106044)   #36
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gaps at the neck?

Don't you ware a belcava tucked down under the collar of you suit?
Old 14 Jan 2008, 21:50 (Ref:2106191)   #37
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Gaps at the neck?

Don't you ware a belcava tucked down under the collar of you suit?
I would certainly hope so,is that not part of the reason for waring one??
Old 15 Jan 2008, 05:09 (Ref:2106378)   #38
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK, most of what has been posted is pretty close to the mark. We manufacture FIA racesuits and supply the NZ A1GP team and many other top racers and rally drivers in NZ and Australia and a few in the USA and have also supplied a BTCC team.

1) Suits are fire resistant and NOT fire proof. As posted above, they will burn eventually. In theory, marshals with extinguishers should be on the scene fast enough to extinguish the fire before the driver has been BBQ'd. In practice, certainly over here, the marshals posts only have one extinguisher, and I would not think for one minute that they would be fast enough to be of much use, so the suit has to work.

2) The more layers, the better the insulation. Dragsters have an 8 layer suit, yet their fire crews don't have far to travel.

3) Although Nomex is nylon based, it is not necessarily the best material on the market - especially shiny Nomex, but the Americans are very protective of their own industry, so many rules are written for them... Getting acceptance for a non-Nomex suit in the states is not easy. Getting FIA approval is also very expensive.

4) The boil in the bag scenario is 100% correct. Flame resistant does not mean heat resistant so heat will ultimately transfer to whatever is underneath. That includes perspiration and metal watchstraps, rings etc.

5) Racers should ideally dry their suits between races but if this is not possible, wearing a dry 100% cotton tee shirt is second best. Racers poncing around the paddock with the top off and tied around the waist are probaby better off than those sweating into it on a hot day.

6) Adding sewn on badges using nylon or polyester thread is plain dumb.

7) Personally, I'd be very pleased if gloves were compulsory (currently NOT compulsory in some countries).

8) Under no circumstances should drivers wear nylon or polyester garments (including socks) under a race suit. Wool and cotton are flame resistant up to a point, but what they will not do is melt. Nylon and polyester melts with disasterous results if it adheres to the skin.

9) The gap between racesuit and neck should obviously be bridged.

10) Foam neck supports and even some race seats and many production cars may contain foam that is not only inflammable, but nigh on impossible to extinguish. So much so, that the local foam manufacturer's raw foam store has no sprinkler system and no windows and the fire service would not be able to extinguish a blaze...

11) Common sense should prevail at all times.

I do not claim to be an expert but fabric technology is always moving forwards so don't specify Nomex (brand name) when you mean fire resistant.

There are other issues such as resistance to abrasion, colour fastness etc.

Hope that helps...
Old 15 Jan 2008, 07:48 (Ref:2106411)   #39
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Useful info socram, tnx.

>>>>>>>>>>.Getting acceptance for a non-Nomex suit in the states is not easy

not only there, but in the minds of users worldwide. We tried suits out of other materials but there was huge resistance. Some governing bodies of the sport in the UK even specify "Nomex" - it's like "Hoover" for vacuums or "Biro" for ball-point pens.

This is changing though. Consumers have become more savvy and more open to new ideas in the last few years.
Old 15 Jan 2008, 08:30 (Ref:2106424)   #40
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes thanks Socram,very usefull,I wonder what a Carbon-X suit would cost,going by the cost of my underware,I'd of thought pretty prohibitive.
Old 15 Jan 2008, 08:56 (Ref:2106437)   #41
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
Yes that's just what happened to Plato in the fire on the tele the other week. And I would assume he was wearing the best gear available.
Plato wasn't wearing any gloves...
Old 15 Jan 2008, 12:14 (Ref:2106651)   #42
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
I wonder what a Carbon-X suit would cost
On average 450 to 500 Pound, Terry.
Old 15 Jan 2008, 12:51 (Ref:2106662)   #43
Mr.Jingles
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading, Berkshire
Mr.Jingles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram
OK, most of what has been posted is pretty close to the mark. We manufacture FIA racesuits and supply the NZ A1GP team and many other top racers and rally drivers in NZ and Australia and a few in the USA and have also supplied a BTCC team.

*SNIP*

Hope that helps...
It did, cheers for that.
Old 15 Jan 2008, 13:20 (Ref:2106679)   #44
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
in the states we have some Proban Treated fires suits that have a FIA rating so they are accepted.

It is the FIA rating that is looked at, not if it is Nomex ( Dupont Brand Name IIRC) that is looked for.

The other challange is many suits just look terable. They are baggy in some body parts and dont fit well in other body parts. Yes I know a custom made suit does the trick.

I do change undershirts all the time and have several Nomex and one Carbon-X ( Cool suit ) tops. I hate sweat wet undershirts.
Old 15 Jan 2008, 18:18 (Ref:2106793)   #45
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>>>>>in the states we have some Proban Treated fires suits that have a FIA rating so they are accepted

Really? I thought they couldn't get it, but I know they have SFI homolog whcih is different. Can you PM me a link? TIA
Old 15 Jan 2008, 19:19 (Ref:2106819)   #46
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
On average 450 to 500 Pound, Terry.
Not a lot more than I paid for a three layer then Eddy
Old 15 Jan 2008, 22:52 (Ref:2106938)   #47
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman
>>>>>>>>>in the states we have some Proban Treated fires suits that have a FIA rating so they are accepted

Really? I thought they couldn't get it, but I know they have SFI homolog whcih is different. Can you PM me a link? TIA
I am out for the evening. Will get you some links in My morning time.

Might be SFI rated. hmmmm
Old 16 Jan 2008, 12:49 (Ref:2107265)   #48
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman

PM sent
Old 16 Jan 2008, 16:45 (Ref:2107385)   #49
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The more layers the better. In a single seater (plus other designs) with a rear-engine crashing can involve damage to the pipes carrying coolant and oil through the cockpit resulting in full thickness burns from scalding, even if the car does not catch fire. Needless to say metal items would increase the heat tansferance.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 19:46 (Ref:2107499)   #50
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Here in the States for SCCA and NASA we have a three layer min requirnment.

2 layer Nomex Suit and one of Nomex (or other SFI approved) underware