Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 21 Dec 2005, 14:23 (Ref:1488092)   #1
Ntrprise
Rookie

Ntrprise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Medical for National B

My local doc wants to charge me £120.

I understand that I do not have to do it with my local GP.

Anyone got any recommendations for a GP I could use that might charge a more reasonable rate?

Either in Kent or in Staines, Bracknel area is all fine.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 15:45 (Ref:1488134)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Why not try one of the new walk in medical centres that are opening up in a lot of shopping centres. I know there is one in Eltham, which is almost NW Kent. Or you could just phone a few GP's surgeries and get some quotes.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 16:39 (Ref:1488167)   #3
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think some doctors sometimes quote for a full medical which is more involved than a race licence medical.
I may be worth checking with them to make sure the,ve quoted for the right one.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 17:50 (Ref:1488209)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
I use Dr Zylstra at Finchampstead Surgery (0118 9732678), out the back of Bracknell, he's my GP and charges same as an HGV medical which IIRC is around £75. He's a young-ish South African and has an Audi Quattro so is a bit petrolhead-ish and understands what we do.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 18:34 (Ref:1488229)   #5
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had to pay £120 - outrageous for 10 mins IMO.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1488281)   #6
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my doctor quoted £120 over the phone but only charged me £30
Old 21 Dec 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1488285)   #7
markw63
Rookie

United Kingdom
milton keynes
markw63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i got mine done 2 years back, i am from milton keynes but got it done at the silverstone village health centre, it only cost £50, sorry cant remember the docs name
Old 23 Dec 2005, 15:52 (Ref:1489337)   #8
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I pay £50 but the Doctor charges me for a "health check" not a medical.

Next problem could be eye tests, I understand that Doctors are starting to say that they won't do these as they don't have the equipment to do it properly?
Old 24 Dec 2005, 02:19 (Ref:1489543)   #9
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM
I pay £50 but the Doctor charges me for a "health check" not a medical.

Next problem could be eye tests, I understand that Doctors are starting to say that they won't do these as they don't have the equipment to do it properly?
Can you elaborate? what equipment should they have? Mine has a regulation reading chart, you cover one eye then the other, reading the lines from top to bottom, same as my optician would do. Are you saying this is insufficient? Just very curious....
Old 24 Dec 2005, 09:10 (Ref:1489574)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
My Doc charges £65, still seems a lot for 10 minutes, but half what you've been quoted. I have to do that every year now as I'm getting an international C license.
Old 24 Dec 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1489603)   #11
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
mine £20
Old 27 Dec 2005, 10:07 (Ref:1490454)   #12
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MGDavid, I'm not sure - I'm no expert. Until now, my Doctor has only had the same wall charts and no problem. This year he asked me to get the corrected and uncorrected readings from an optician as wall charts aren't seen as accurate enough?
Old 27 Dec 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1490495)   #13
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eye test:
For goodness sake don't stir the pot about this - it is contentious.

The 'Notes' mention (2.9.6.4.a) visual acuity - that's the letter charts. And any GP (unless they don't have a letter chart) should be able to do the test (subjective as it is) without an opticians help. My GP tests each eye, though the 'Notes' say 'both eyes open'.

Then the 'Notes' speak of measuring the visual field (2.8.6.4.b) in degrees. The usual test is a clinical one, where you look at the doctor's eye and they compare the breadth of your visual field with theirs, by wiggleing their fingers at arms length and asking you if you can see the moevement. This is fine (IMHO) but assumes that the doctor has normal vision and is subjective.
The MSA have tried to express the intention of this test in more 'scientific' terms and in doing so have made it ambiguous. Properly done, by a doctor with normal vision, the clinical test does the same, but to measure the field objectively in degrees, special kit is required. Opticians MAY have this kit, but not a GP.

SO, do you point this out to your GP, and make an appointment at your optician, or even ask to be referred to your local hospital's ophthalmic dept., if no optician has the kit? I know what I do.

John
Old 27 Dec 2005, 22:49 (Ref:1490785)   #14
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
why not petition the MSA to drop the 'field of view' test altogether?
After all, with a full face helmet, a seat with 'ears' and a HANS device you can probably see damn-all peripherally anyway
Old 28 Dec 2005, 08:17 (Ref:1490856)   #15
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the last one ihad i was quoted about £50, but i think the doctors assume you need more of a medical than you really do so its well worth showing them the form first so they can see what they actualy have to do.

i was lucky when i had mine done i saw the locum as my regular doc was off sick and he didn't charge me anything at all, saying it seemed a rip off to charge for 10 mins

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 28 Dec 2005, 08:39 (Ref:1490861)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
fair point Graham, but the Docs are wise enough to know racings not exactly a free hobby, and you aint going anywhere without their signature ! I still think £30-40 should be the norm, thats still way over £100 an hour which is enough to keep all but the biggest wolves from your door !!!
Old 28 Dec 2005, 09:08 (Ref:1490869)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think you just wind yourself up equating everything to how much per hour the doctor is earning, if it such a good crack why do I have to wait 2 weeks for an appointment for a medical and at £100 an hour the medical schools would have huge queues of applicants hoping to be millionaires by the time they are thirty as at that rate it would take them about three or four years.

In my business in certain circumstances and with several machines running together I can 'earn' many hundreds of pounds and hour, trouble is there are occasions when nothing is being produced (like now!) and everything still has to be paid for. My point is I am sure they have overheads and equipment that have to be paid for whether they are giving us the once over or not.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 10:44 (Ref:1490896)   #18
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Al Weyman]I think you just wind yourself up equating everything to how much per hour the doctor is earning, QUOTE]

very true Al, what they earn and charge are not the same thing, anyway my denist charges far more than the doctor!

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 28 Dec 2005, 11:48 (Ref:1490929)   #19
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just been doing some research, and the MSA advice on visual field testing is the same as the DVLA on driving licences. See:http://www.academy.org.uk/reference/dvla.htm.
Doesn't change my above, but the MSA are not being unreasonable.
John
Old 29 Dec 2005, 07:01 (Ref:1491269)   #20
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We can expect a dental check to be included any time soon then Graham
Old 29 Dec 2005, 11:37 (Ref:1491366)   #21
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
I think you just wind yourself up equating everything to how much per hour the doctor is earning, if it such a good crack why do I have to wait 2 weeks for an appointment for a medical and at £100 an hour the medical schools would have huge queues of applicants hoping to be millionaires by the time they are thirty as at that rate it would take them about three or four years.

In my business in certain circumstances and with several machines running together I can 'earn' many hundreds of pounds and hour, trouble is there are occasions when nothing is being produced (like now!) and everything still has to be paid for. My point is I am sure they have overheads and equipment that have to be paid for whether they are giving us the once over or not.
Er, there are huge queues for medical schools, my daughter went for an interview at one last week and she was one of the 500 out of 1020 applicants to be given an interview, that'll go down to 280 offers for 150 places in September.
Agreed about the salaries though, they have large overheads to pay and god knows how much liability insurance costs them.
Old 29 Dec 2005, 17:14 (Ref:1491506)   #22
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I pay for racing by not going to the dentist ! given some quotes and prices I've heard of I'm suprised more people don't give up teeth and start racing red fancy Fiats instead
Old 29 Dec 2005, 18:25 (Ref:1491545)   #23
937carrera
Rookie

England
937carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
£120 ......... I took a HGV medical today and was disgusted to pay £83 for the privilige. The HGV medical was considerably more thorough than the MSA medical used to be for me. (I used to have to take it, but then they dropped the requirements for those below 45, which is why I don't now)

Last time I had one done was '95 I think, and it cost me £15 cash. Friendly GP, not my registered GP, but one that used to like driving Jags

What I object to, is the fact that I've already paid for the doctor etc to be there through all my taxesc - and now I have to pay again. It's the only time I ever vist the quack. (crossed fingers)
Old 29 Dec 2005, 18:48 (Ref:1491557)   #24
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
I pay for racing by not going to the dentist ! given some quotes and prices I've heard of I'm suprised more people don't give up teeth and start racing red fancy Fiats instead
I have, I park em in a jar every night Has the added advantage that if you take them out before you race you improve the power to weight ratio.
Old 29 Dec 2005, 22:40 (Ref:1491677)   #25
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
Erki has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
WHat do those doctors check anyway? Eyes - that's obvious. But whats more?