Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 May 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1601219)   #1
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
28 Cars on the track in Free Practice

I was just looking at the live timing screen from the Formula1 website, and it struck me that including all of the 3rd cars today there are a total of 28 cars on the track... 28, a fair number more than the official limit for an actual grid size.

That got me to thinking... FIA claim that it is not practical to increase grid sizes due to infrastructure limits at some tracks... that there would not be enough garage space, pit row too tight, etc... but don't they currently disprove that at every GP with all of the 3rd cars?

I suppose it could be argued that 2 3rd cars take up less space than 1 additional 2 car team because the third cars share garages with their 2 raceday siblings. Still... the action in the pits is a lot heavier during Free Practice than it ever is during a race. Not necessarily due to actual pit stops with refueling and tire changes, but in sheer volume of traffic it is certainly much worse...
Old 5 May 2006, 12:54 (Ref:1601223)   #2
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They dont disprove anything as every teams got 3 garages regardless of if theyre allowed the Friday car or not. Its the teams taking up the room, not the cars themselves
Old 5 May 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1601230)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, if it's the teams that are taking up the space, then why not limit the paddock space available to teams so that more teams can participate?
Old 5 May 2006, 13:25 (Ref:1601244)   #4
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
Well, if it's the teams that are taking up the space, then why not limit the paddock space available to teams so that more teams can participate?
I've been saying that for a while. 28 cars can obviously be on track together and i doubt 30 would make much of a difference...much cleaner number 30. Make the actual drivers run on friday if they want track information I mean thats what we all pay to go see not some third drivers from the second rate teams while the top runners all spend the majority of the time in the garage
Old 5 May 2006, 18:28 (Ref:1601402)   #5
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
And would it be an option to have 3 drivers per team?
Old 6 May 2006, 18:46 (Ref:1601930)   #6
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan733
I've been saying that for a while. 28 cars can obviously be on track together and i doubt 30 would make much of a difference...much cleaner number 30.
I'd argue that the number of cars that can run on the track at anyone time and the number of teams are not neccesarily the same issue. As has been pointed out, all teams are allocated garage space for three cars regardless of whether they use the car. Therefore, if (race) cars were increased to 28, this would require an additional space for 9 cars, which is probably beyond capabilities for some pit lanes. This could be counteracted by the banning of spare cars, however, this is likely to be unpopular with spectators, if say Alonso, when making one of his limited laps on Friday was to write his car off and would then be out of action for the rest of the weekend.
Old 7 May 2006, 02:36 (Ref:1602092)   #7
CamF1
Rookie

CamF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Max say it was also to do with safety? Did he mean in the pitlane?