Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 7 Dec 2003, 22:25 (Ref:806228)   #1
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Best Driver to never win a Championship?

Now that PT has finally won the championship, in your opinions who's the best driver to have participated in CART and never won the championship? Let's exclude Moore to make it interesting.
Old 7 Dec 2003, 22:39 (Ref:806237)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Moreno is certainly one of the best - why knows what he'd've done if he'd've concentrated on CART since the mid-80s, epsecially once the balance mvoed towards road courses? A great racer on his day, and his Portland win was splendid.
Old 7 Dec 2003, 23:22 (Ref:806260)   #3
teal'c
Rookie

teal'c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dario franchitti
Old 7 Dec 2003, 23:46 (Ref:806288)   #4
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by teal'c
dario franchitti
It's hard to argue with that choice!
Old 8 Dec 2003, 00:30 (Ref:806312)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Gotta agree...
With Franchitti.

That's a poem.
Old 8 Dec 2003, 01:16 (Ref:806334)   #6
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
moreno...also think tags, manning...although too short to tell, carp, bord and junks, domingues looks good, jordain and servia too....overall i think tags or carp for the future and bord will outshine junky for sure
Old 8 Dec 2003, 01:37 (Ref:806345)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tony Kanaan?
Old 8 Dec 2003, 02:03 (Ref:806351)   #8
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After 99, when Franchitti and Montoya fought tooth and nail for the championship, everyone expected Dario to take it in 2000... 2001... but he never did. Fernandez has been a household name for a while, and came close in 2000 to edging out Gil. Kanaan was always the Fisichella of CART, i.e. just never really got his hands onto truly competitive equipment. de Castro had the talent, but not the consistency. Tough Call.

Last edited by Raven; 8 Dec 2003 at 02:05.
Old 8 Dec 2003, 03:28 (Ref:806375)   #9
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Alan Jones
Old 8 Dec 2003, 04:06 (Ref:806383)   #10
fordtc87
Rookie

United States
Indianapolis, IN
fordtc87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Franchitti, now i look at Bruno and Michel to get to the top. also surprised that Michael Andretti only won once.
Old 8 Dec 2003, 04:39 (Ref:806389)   #11
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Of course there are a couple who competed in the beginning, who were great, but never won the CART championship, but had won the USAC champion....

Bobby Unser, Tom Sneva, and Gordon Johncock for example.

A few who never won the championship who were pretty good.

Johnny Rutherford
Teo Fabi
Danny Ongais
Al Holbert

It would seem that most of the choices are skewed towards the late 90's here... anyone watching this in the 70's, & 80's?

Last edited by Fogelhund; 8 Dec 2003 at 04:41.
Old 8 Dec 2003, 12:34 (Ref:806574)   #12
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roberto Guererro
Pancho Carter
AJ Foyt
Old 8 Dec 2003, 15:13 (Ref:806706)   #13
The Treester
Racer

The Treester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Greg Moore, sorry I had to say it but since we have to exclude him from this poll, I say Dario, since I've only been following CART since '96!
Old 8 Dec 2003, 16:33 (Ref:806750)   #14
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Franchitti, Ongais, and Guererro (before his accident).
Old 8 Dec 2003, 17:48 (Ref:806809)   #15
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fogelhund
Of course there are a couple who competed in the beginning, who were great, but never won the CART championship, but had won the USAC champion....

Bobby Unser, Tom Sneva, and Gordon Johncock for example.

A few who never won the championship who were pretty good.

Johnny Rutherford
Teo Fabi
Danny Ongais
Al Holbert

It would seem that most of the choices are skewed towards the late 90's here... anyone watching this in the 70's, & 80's?
I believe the reason the choices are skewed, is because back when it was the USAC championship and even the early years of the CART championship there were mostly ovals. I think most of us Champcar fans are bigger road course fans, and think that there is less skill involved in driving an oval. I maybe wrong, but I don't think Sneva ever won on a road course, but he did come close several times.
Old 8 Dec 2003, 22:01 (Ref:806998)   #16
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Since Dario actually tied for a championship but didn't win it, you'd have to say he was unlucky not to win one.

However, I go with Moreno. He spend year after year in poor machinery. When he finally got his hands on competitive cars, he proved right away how good he was.
Old 8 Dec 2003, 22:02 (Ref:806999)   #17
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm... I just can think of Greg...
Old 8 Dec 2003, 22:09 (Ref:807002)   #18
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
easy- Dario Franchitti.
although I'd think Adrian fernandez when he is on he is on, and can't help but think he may have done better with the best team, instead of trying to run his own....
then the forever young moreno- who say you have to be 20 to drive openwheel
Old 8 Dec 2003, 22:48 (Ref:807027)   #19
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's all about Adrian that move on tracy at portland showed his great ability. Although Jymmy Vasser already won one I really want to see him win another.
Old 9 Dec 2003, 01:24 (Ref:807099)   #20
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i just feel adrian has kept getting bad breaks
he is champion material- and what a good personable fella he is too, liek Jimmy- i would like to see him go for #2
Old 9 Dec 2003, 02:20 (Ref:807113)   #21
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I take it no one's interested in one-offs, like JJ Lehto and James Weaver...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 9 Dec 2003, 02:39 (Ref:807121)   #22
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was never particularly impressed with JJ Lehto. I was watching watching F1 decade last night and JJ Lehto stopped MS from lapping him quiet effectively @ Portugal.
Old 9 Dec 2003, 02:39 (Ref:807122)   #23
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
I mentioned my pick for the one-offs... Alan Jones.
Old 9 Dec 2003, 11:47 (Ref:807388)   #24
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually Alan Jones made 2 CART starts.

The first was at Road America in 1985, where he finished 3rd substituting for Mario Andretti at Newman/Haas.

His second appearance was at Road America again in 1988, driving an Arciero/Labatts March 88C-Cosworth. He retired with a gearbox failure in that race.

Jones had said previously that he wasn't interested in American racing. the road courses were fine, but he had a major stack in an IROC Camaro in the late-70s at Ontario Motor Speedway oval (from memory), and said that it worried him to think what it would have been like if it was init had happened in an Indycar.

Still, a 3rd on debut was very impressive, especially considering he wasn't exactly match-fit at the time. He was in the process of returning to F1 with the Beatrice/Haas/Lola team, had spent half of 1985 driving a factory Alfa-Romeo in Australian Toruing Car racing, and the last time he had raced an open-wheeler prior to that was an Arrows at the 1983 Race of Champions at Brands Hatch.

Last edited by racer69; 9 Dec 2003 at 11:49.
Old 10 Dec 2003, 23:49 (Ref:808834)   #25
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Greg Moore and Dario Franchetti, Maybe Stefan Johansson?