Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Jul 2020, 19:41 (Ref:3988808)   #26
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. Is it possible to walk all the way round the outside of the track in clockwise direction (Hollywood/Craner/Hairpin/Starkey's/Schwantz/McLans/Coppice)?
Yes....although you’re best to get to McLean’s then go through the tunnel between McLean’s and coppice which will take you onto the infield where you can do an entire loop from the inside of th circuit including the start finish straight
Old 16 Jul 2020, 20:47 (Ref:3988821)   #27
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Yes....although you’re best to get to McLean’s then go through the tunnel between McLean’s and coppice which will take you onto the infield where you can do an entire loop from the inside of th circuit including the start finish straight
Many thanks. That's my Saturday sorted out then!
Old 17 Jul 2020, 07:14 (Ref:3988874)   #28
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Programme available to download here - https://doningtonpark.msv.com/DP-20-Masters
Old 17 Jul 2020, 09:41 (Ref:3988912)   #29
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. Is it possible to walk all the way round the outside of the track in clockwise direction (Hollywood/Craner/Hairpin/Starkey's/Schwantz/McLans/Coppice)?

Only as far as Coppice.

As it seems that the Coppice tunnel will be open to access the infield you could indeed cut through there but if the tunnel under the esses is closed (perhaps along with the GP circuit loop tunnel since that has not been mentioned) then you will have to retrace your steps to get back to the car park on the "tarmac lake".

Assuming the Coppice Gate will be open (?) to allow access to the disabled viewing area one might be able to complete the loop around the outside of the circuit but although well paved and relatively level it's quite a long way - probably further then retracing your steps around the perimeter.

In that context note that the introduction of the Aston Barclay car auction operation in what was the Exhibition centre has resulted in the outside perimeter road that ran along the wall just outside the track is now blocked and the only option (unless things have changed again over the winter) is to take the main track form the old Main gate all the way to Paddock entrance and then on around to the revised parking location on the outside of the circuit. Nothing to see there so best sticking with the inside.

Great viewing of course. And good exercise. Few facilities.

I wonder of the toilet blocks will be open? Does anyone know?
Old 17 Jul 2020, 09:46 (Ref:3988914)   #30
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Are you thinking of the "new" vehicle access tunnel?

Unless things have changed over the winter that is not accessible from inside the circuit. If it's open. The old access tunnel under Coppice is now pedestrian only when open and at least accessible from inside the circuit boundary.
Old 17 Jul 2020, 09:50 (Ref:3988916)   #31
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Only as far as Coppice.

I wonder of the toilet blocks will be open? Does anyone know?
Yes. they have to provide toilet facilities by law. if you check the donington website they say that they will be open with increased cleaning
Old 17 Jul 2020, 10:19 (Ref:3988926)   #32
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Yes. they have to provide toilet facilities by law. if you check the donington website they say that they will be open with increased cleaning

That's good news especially if they are all open.

I note from the map linked that the old toilet facilities at Coppice (that came and went from time to time after the original permanent block was demolished) seem to have been moved to a location between McLeans and Coppice.

I have seen some reports in the media about very hot weather this weekend but Accuweather seems to be suggesting quite normal temperatures - perhaps even a little low for July. So taking a trek around the circuit should be OK. Assume there will be no catering out there and take water with you on the trek.
Old 17 Jul 2020, 19:02 (Ref:3989096)   #33
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
This is getting deeply tiresome. Pubs and cafes are open, shops, hairdressers and cafes . But I can't walk in the open air across a large expanse of tarmac , then through a wide tunnel from the paddock .
Agreed.
Old 18 Jul 2020, 18:10 (Ref:3989277)   #34
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Very pleasant day at Donington. Walked multiple loops inside and outside the track - many thanks for all the tips. Fields a little thin but some good quality. Donington is transformed since my last visit in 2015.
Old 19 Jul 2020, 18:17 (Ref:3989572)   #35
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Glorious weather today. Superb racing amongst a small group in the Minis, in both races.

Other sessions a bit mixed but I've really enjoyed the weekend. Great to be out again!
Old 19 Jul 2020, 20:45 (Ref:3989592)   #36
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was only there for Saturday but was great to be back at Donington. Considering how thing are at the mo, the grids were respectable and let to sum great racing in the races I seen.

Anyway heres my vid from the day, 00:00 - 21:45 is the morning qualifying sessions with the races 21:45 - 36:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANpnMWUg9KE
Old 20 Jul 2020, 06:55 (Ref:3989663)   #37
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Nice day out , and wonderful to see and hear stuff like T70s and DFVs. Some good racing , some a bit underwhelming and I left when the (two car) F 1 demo started .

But in mid March I was wondering if we'd see racing at all this year (and even if we would be there to see it ) , so being able to enjoy an ice cream in the sun with Formula One cars was a long overdue treat.
Old 20 Jul 2020, 07:03 (Ref:3989665)   #38
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=coppice;3989663]Nice day out , and wonderful to see and hear stuff like T70s and DFVs. Some good racing , some a bit underwhelming and I left when the (two car) F 1 demo started .

Or as the commentators gently pointed out - F1 replicas - and it appears even that was only the liveries.

However, you missed a cracking Mini race - smallish field again but a superb battle for the minor placings.
Old 20 Jul 2020, 13:26 (Ref:3989741)   #39
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

A very pleasant Sunday with some good racing as other have already observed. Lookes tlike the spectator numbers were pretty good for the modern era as well.

The Ice cream van near the entrance seemed to be busy all day.

The F1 race was pretty tight at the front most laps.

Slightly surprised that on the day entrance was £21 and that was something I had not seen mentioned at all on the website. Normally a couple of quid would be considered acceptable. But without dedicated staff for selling only tickets I'm not sure the £6 difference was justified.

None of the discounts for local residents, pensioners, or DPRAC members seem to available this year. Possibly no surprise but then they are running events almost every day now and noise levels seem a little higher than expected. The new houses being built very close to the Eastern end of the track are unlikely to be shielded by some newly planted shrubbery and may help the noise transmission further afield. Some local PR activity might be advisable for the future.

On a positive note, parking at the tarmac lake was quite convenient and I noted that there were a few cars accessing the inner spectator areas - presumably allowed in through the gates under some dispensation. The lockable poles that were installed last year to keep vehicles out seem to have disappeared so perhaps once (if?) the circuit gets back to something closer to previous operation access will become more available for those wishing to investigate the more distant parts of the circuit without having to walk there. For the bigger meetings with a lot of spectators I can see a need for restrictions but for club meetings they should not be a necessity. IMO.
Old 20 Jul 2020, 17:41 (Ref:3989814)   #40
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found the meeting a bit of a curate's egg, good in parts. Although only eight historic Formula One cars finished in both races there some good scraps, and don't you just love the noise? The Aston Martin sponsored Endurance Legends was a bit of a joke. two forty minute qualifying sessions on Saturday with maybe four cars on track at a time.And then a forty minute race with seven cars. Yawn. The HGPC race in the wet was fun. And the 90 minute Gentlemen Drivers had its moments. First time for me without a photo tabard in fifteen years so I felt a bit left out. I know what you're thinking-spoiled brat. Couple of images anyway. Copyright www.retro-speed.co.uk
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5372.jpg   IMG_5374.JPG   IMG_5361.JPG  

IMG_5356.JPG  
Old 20 Jul 2020, 20:52 (Ref:3989833)   #41
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I attended Donington for both days last weekend. Whilst being disappointed at not being able to access the Paddock it was an enjoyable experience. Sat in the new stand (Haven't been to Donington for 10 or so years) which gave fantastic views of the circuit. My only grumble would be the lack of catering facilities. The only one was an independent wagon who had clearly realised they had a captive audience. It was a complete rip off and I heard others grumbling as well. To be fair this is unusual for a MSV circuit and sadly the cafe being in the Paddock was not accessible.
Please no more F1 Demos unless they are proper F1 cars not a WSR car and a Honda painted as a Mercedes with a V6 engine! Very tedious.
Old 21 Jul 2020, 07:17 (Ref:3989872)   #42
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Photos from "A Walk in the Park" (with occasional engine noises) now here. Having got as far as Coppice with camera, lenses, monopod, step and provisions I spent most of the day there. Confirmed my dislike of shooting through the fence but I do like the images you can get there with something other than gravel run offs, tyre walls and fences in the background. Inside of Coppice is a superb spot but don't tell anyone else. Small grids disappointing and would happily take 40 minute Mini races and let the few Endurance Legends off with 20 minutes. https://flic.kr/s/aHsmPxPEdt
Old 21 Jul 2020, 13:58 (Ref:3989980)   #43
retrognome
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Photos from "A Walk in the Park" (with occasional engine noises) now here. Having got as far as Coppice with camera, lenses, monopod, step and provisions I spent most of the day there. Confirmed my dislike of shooting through the fence but I do like the images you can get there with something other than gravel run offs, tyre walls and fences in the background. Inside of Coppice is a superb spot but don't tell anyone else. Small grids disappointing and would happily take 40 minute Mini races and let the few Endurance Legends off with 20 minutes. https://flic.kr/s/aHsmPxPEdt
A very small gap in the fence at Coppice, but enough.
Old 22 Jul 2020, 07:59 (Ref:3990117)   #44
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think we have to congratulate Masters, MSV and HGPCA for the meeting. Although a mainly British crowd of racers and teams, given the timeframe since the date was announced and the event taking place as well as the fact that almost no foreigners would make it, good numbers and good to see all back racing.

I came as an official and from Switzerland, it wasn't easy to see this happening just a few weeks back, I could also understand why foreign racers did not make any comitment as the travelling restrictions were only lifted the week before and some countries actually enforce quarantine on people travelling back from the UK. All in all a positive.

I just hope to see more social distanciation in the future and in the paddock as well.
Old 22 Jul 2020, 13:50 (Ref:3990193)   #45
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post

I just hope to see more social distanciation in the future and in the paddock as well.
Louis, I can see where You are coming from and why officials need to emphasise this, to make sure motorsport at large can get back on track
buuuuuuuut,

while necessary at the moment and possible for longer that we like to think

social distancing takes away half the fun, for me at least

for me a weekend of racing means at least 3 days away from home
it about more than 40 minutes in the car

RuE
Old 23 Jul 2020, 08:42 (Ref:3990316)   #46
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
Louis, I can see where You are coming from and why officials need to emphasise this, to make sure motorsport at large can get back on track
buuuuuuuut,

while necessary at the moment and possible for longer that we like to think

social distancing takes away half the fun, for me at least

for me a weekend of racing means at least 3 days away from home
it about more than 40 minutes in the car

RuE
I agree on the social element Rudolf and I believe this can still go on but we have to be careful, just sayin'
Old 25 Jul 2020, 06:06 (Ref:3990671)   #47
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think you'll find that even under strictest terms social interaction is easy. There may be small inconveniences like takeaway only cafes, wearing a mask and controlled toilets but on the whole it's business as usual. Don't let that stop anyone, motor racing is its usual social self. Get out there and support the clubs and circuits.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 26 Jul 2020, 05:55 (Ref:3990794)   #48
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
None of the discounts for local residents, pensioners, or DPRAC members seem to available this year.
Grant, Donington haven’t done local resident or DPRAC discounts for a year or two now. Very short sighted imho.
I also asked a while ago if they would allow cycling evenings again - for a brief period they ran a few of these in the summer which seemed to be a good idea and quite popular,I think, to give something to demonstrate community value. A shame.