Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Aug 2000, 11:13 (Ref:29514)   #26
apguy
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Suffolk
apguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Afternoon folks,

I'm doing the Touring Cars 1 hour endurance on the Sat and the Touring Cars 10 lapper on the Sunday. I've some quick questions for those that have camped before:

- What's the facilities like? I'll be staying Thursday-Sunday and wouldn't mind a few hot showers in between

- Is it like camping at UK circuits - turn up and just pitch your tent near the paddock? or do they have an official campsite and will I need to book or pay any money?

Cheers
Andrew
Old 10 Aug 2000, 11:47 (Ref:29524)   #27
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
SNH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We camped twice behind the bar/restaraunt behind the hairpin. We never had to pay as I was a 'pilote'. There is a shower block, (a couple of francs). There didn't look many good places to pitch a tent in the paddock.
Note. the first morning that we got up at 6am, there was frost on the tent & cars. Being the Ardennes, the weather can be hot in the day & barking freezing at night.
Old 10 Aug 2000, 12:40 (Ref:29557)   #28
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Useful info SNH, hadn't thought of not being able to pitch camp in the paddock, (not that you can at all UK circuits), when you say behind the bar / rstnt is that on the outside or inside of the track. Did you just end up there as you poured out of the bar then ?....
Old 10 Aug 2000, 12:59 (Ref:29565)   #29
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
The bar is on the outside of the circuit. It's just before the turn into the woods to get to the circuit. I can get some more info later, when my mate's back from holiday. I can tell you that the bar opens v. late & afterwards you can sit in the car park with some locals & drink 1/2 bottle of Cognac each!
The weather does change, we were in shorts in the day & winter clothing at night the one time.
The hotel in the town does fabulous breakfasts. The beer being Belgian is the best. There is also a young barmaid who works in 2 of the bars who is possibly the best looking woman I have EVER seen!
I last went 2 years ago & there was no fuel in the circuit, so we drove the race car to the local garage. The queue at the pumps was bizarre, my Capri, a couple of Triumph race cars, a Honda NSX on slicks & a few single seaters. I gather in that part of Belgium they break the laws if they think the laws are pointless.
The first time I raced there it was so foggy you couldn't see some corners from 100 metres, before we went out to practise, the Clerk told us to go slowly. In the UK we wouldn't have been allowed to go out. They played Mission Imposible as we went out for therace & God Save the Queen as we ended the race. The locals are very welcoming. The circuit is spectacular.
In the evening we took the tow car round the whole of the circuit a few times, as they only put bollards across to stop you going onto the circuit.
Old 10 Aug 2000, 13:20 (Ref:29574)   #30
Tony Harman
Veteran

Oh, I get it, the reason for you going to Spa is women orientated eh, racing is just the excuse for going then, he-he. Breakfast sounds great - put me down for a full one with all the trimmings - least I won't have any worries about minimum weight then.
I tried getting fuel at the garage at Combe a few years ago in a road registered R5 challenge car, I got stopped as I drove out of the gate by a man in a funny pointed hat telling me if I went another inch I was nicked. Still that's Britiain for you. I reckon the sight of single seaters trundling off to the local filling station must be quite entertaining.
Taking the tow car off round the circuit in the evening is probably very valuable in just learning where it all goes at the corners, I did that first time I ever went to Mallory, arrived at night and couldn't find the entrance to the paddock (honest), trouble was I didn't discover until next day that we had gone round the wrong way !
If you get any more info on camping let us know.
Old 10 Aug 2000, 14:45 (Ref:29584)   #31
Tony Harman
Veteran

Paddock facilities
Just a thought - anyone know if they have electricity supply in the paddock ?
Old 10 Aug 2000, 14:51 (Ref:29586)   #32
Graham
Veteran

Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Any more stories about driving racing cars on the road? There was an article in Motorsport a year or so ago about GP cars being driven to the circuit by Bira and Ascari (and others) and various teams testing Le Mans setups on the newly-opened M1 motorway. Cool.
Old 10 Aug 2000, 15:30 (Ref:29595)   #33
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
I seem to remember there being electric in the paddock. Unless it's changed, you had to dump your trailer away from the car.
Old 10 Aug 2000, 15:34 (Ref:29597)   #34
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
I used to drive the Triumph 200 to work some of the time. A guy who was fixing my Mk1 Capri, (which had a number plate 1156MS), tested it on the road, (the plate was not a real number), & told the copper it was a private plate, cos the car was owned by a rich man, (no names, but he drives a yellow IMP).
I've tested the yellow Capri up the road nearby & when the trailer wheel broke coming back fro Thruxton, my wife drove the tow car & 3 wheel trailer & I drove the Capri about 15 miles in the dark.
(Fortunately the police won't be able to trace me, cos my name is Dick Johnson really)
Old 10 Aug 2000, 15:39 (Ref:29598)   #35
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
S'right.

There's lecky and water in the paddock. Smelly drains at no extra cost.

The camp site referred to by my learned co-racer belongs to the hotel just up the hill from the circuit, not far from the model shop where you can by metal replicas of your favourite group 1 (not Sunbeam Ti) touring cars for a reasonable £70.00. I did that last year when I went in to buy a paper!!!!

His reference to the barmaid can be put into perspective when one considers that the Spa Francorchamps circuit on her t shirt is far lumpier than in real life!!!

The four star fuel and the super unleaded at the garage is a much darker colour than any I've seen elsewhere.

Its a great weekend. I'm only doing the 10 lap GT and Touring car race this year. So plenty of time for moules & frites etc.
Old 10 Aug 2000, 16:16 (Ref:29605)   #36
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
That's the place Peter. I forgot the model shop. The hotel at the top of that road does good brekkies & shows soccer on tv as well.
Old 11 Aug 2000, 08:53 (Ref:29734)   #37
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
yelwoci should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SNH et al
You have to watch that Belgian beer!
I arrived Thurs evening last year, dumped the car, had some food, hit the bar.
Next time I looked at my watch it was 3am.
My first practice and first even run around Spa was at 8.30am!
Quite impressed with my 3'18" in the circumstances.
Luckily nobody asked me to blow into a little bag, driving to the circuit or on it! Might have turn scarlett.

This year will be a 'dry' year...you know!

IanC
Old 11 Aug 2000, 08:55 (Ref:29735)   #38
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
You get used to Belgian beer, (mussy head, bad gut). It starts around 5%, try some of the Trappist beers, saw some at 16%!
Old 11 Aug 2000, 14:01 (Ref:29789)   #39
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by SNH
That's the place Peter. I forgot the model shop. The hotel at the top of that road does good brekkies & shows soccer on tv as well.
The hotel is called "The Moderne". Since I've been going to Spa (Loads of years) the beer exchange rate has got better and better. For at least ten years a beer in the Paddock has been 55 Bef. Its probably gone up this year.

The "bog ladies" change every year though.
Old 15 Aug 2000, 11:39 (Ref:30680)   #40
Tony Harman
Veteran

Anyone know where I can find a circuit outline map ?
the Spa www site has a nice aerial shot and a how to get there route but no real layout map. www british motor racing circuits doesn't have one for Spa. My Autosport guide doesn't include Spa. Anybody seen one anywhere...
Old 15 Aug 2000, 11:50 (Ref:30686)   #41
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
TONY!!!!!!

How's about right here!
http://tentenths.com/circuitguides/9.html#5

IanC
Old 15 Aug 2000, 12:09 (Ref:30695)   #42
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Whoops,
Spa map seems to have disappeared...Oulton is very similar though!

Sorry
Try:
http://home.swipnet.se/~w-10348/belgium/belgium.htm

http://www.totalf1.com/circuits/spa.shtml

IanC
Old 15 Aug 2000, 12:41 (Ref:30699)   #43
Tony Harman
Veteran

Ta Ian, now just to commit it all to memory....
Old 15 Aug 2000, 12:46 (Ref:30702)   #44
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Tony,
Last year was my first time.
I spent 2 months playing 'The Official F1 Game' on my PC.
I was useless on the PC game, but I learnt the circuit.
BUT it prepare me for Eau Rouge's gradient or the tightness of the hairpin (Rivage?)

Strongly recommend this approach.

IanC
Old 15 Aug 2000, 15:15 (Ref:30731)   #45
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by yelwoci
Tony,
Last year was my first time.
I spent 2 months playing 'The Official F1 Game' on my PC.
I was useless on the PC game, but I learnt the circuit.
BUT it prepare me for Eau Rouge's gradient or the tightness of the hairpin (Rivage?)

Strongly recommend this approach.

IanC
The Hairpin is La Source.

About the only advice I can offer anybody is that if you get into trouble at Eau Rouge, keep the right foot planted cos it will take you over the gravel trap at the top of the slope. Braking or lifting off just throws you at the scenery.
Old 15 Aug 2000, 16:18 (Ref:30738)   #46
Tony Harman
Veteran

Unfortunately I don't have the game, perhaps I ought to get a copy and do some practise
Old 16 Aug 2000, 07:01 (Ref:30890)   #47
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Microprose Grand Prix is the game. More suited to single seaters than Touring cars because single seaters can hold the line through Eau Rouge and Pouhon better.
Old 16 Aug 2000, 10:14 (Ref:30900)   #48
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Peter,

I didn't mean La Source but the one the other side of the Malmedy which is heavily banked - Rivage.

The Microprose game is an old DOS derived game.

Official F1 Racing was developed for Eidos by France-based Lankhor.

You 're right that its single seater stuff, you sit too low and there is too much grip, but its good enough to learn the circuit on.

I haven't found a decent Touring Car or GT package that does Spa as well, or at all!

IanC
Old 16 Aug 2000, 11:19 (Ref:30905)   #49
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmmmm.

Quote:
Originally posted by yelwoci
Peter,

I didn't mean La Source but the one the other side of the Malmedy which is heavily banked - Rivage.
That's an interesting description for a 180 degree, off camber, second/third gear, corner.

Old 28 Aug 2000, 10:07 (Ref:33352)   #50
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Two weeks to go. Everybody ready???