Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 12 Mar 2003, 15:24 (Ref:533886)   #1
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Burns back to Subaru?

I read a few articles where Dave Lapworth (Subaru dude) has stated he would love to take Richard Burns back from Peugeot. Burnsie's contract runs out this year I believe and he doesnt seem too happy there. And with Tommi planning on hanging up his boots this year Subaru will need someone to drive alongside Solberg. What do you think?

I reckon he will be back in blue next year unless he really gels with the 206.
Old 12 Mar 2003, 15:38 (Ref:533901)   #2
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nah I don't think so, the pug is a winner and though burns is struggling a bit its the best car out there.
Old 12 Mar 2003, 15:49 (Ref:533916)   #3
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends if the suggested rule changes come into effect. See
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=34567

From Peugeot's perspective, Burns may not be the best choice for No.2 (esp. if Panizzi continues to perform well on gravel).

Also Burns may decide that he can't beat Gronholm in the same car, and so look for other alternatives.
Old 12 Mar 2003, 15:51 (Ref:533921)   #4
Robytis
Rookie

Robytis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he will swich to Subaru - he won the title with them, so he knows the team and the car. In peugeot - they have a 'less expensive drivers' like Rovanpera and Panizzi to back up Marcus. And in Subaru he could be Nr 1
Old 12 Mar 2003, 18:57 (Ref:534116)   #5
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Saw this on Teletext this morning. A very interesting development. I shall be watching with interest. I have a funny feeling we might see Bruns back in Subaru next year.
Old 12 Mar 2003, 22:06 (Ref:534366)   #6
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gronholm not the pushover you expected Mr Burns?
Old 13 Mar 2003, 02:07 (Ref:534620)   #7
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peugeot is going to have to tinker with the lineup in 2004 with Burns and also Rovanpera contracts expiring after the Rally of Great Britain. Also the young guns of Robert and Pulkysto are in consideration for the works seat.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 02:31 (Ref:534662)   #8
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would anyone want to hire Burns?!
Old 13 Mar 2003, 02:55 (Ref:534680)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends what happens with the possible rule changes (lets hope they aren't adopted.

If Burns did go back to Subaru, could he match Solberg?
Old 13 Mar 2003, 07:50 (Ref:534788)   #10
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
I have seen in print Burns say he doesnt like the handling of the 206. He said you cant throw it around like the Impreza. I think he would do fine against Solberg. But he seems to have hit a brick wall with Gronholm.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 17:01 (Ref:535205)   #11
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richard Burns has been quoted on www.wrc.com as saying it's nice to have options for 2004.

I wonder if this is not the wisest move, as it now might help make Corrado Provera's job easier if RB doesn't get the results for the remainder of this year.
Old 14 Mar 2003, 16:31 (Ref:536198)   #12
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We can dream...

It'd be nice, but Burns needs something he can win the WDC in - and that ain't a Subaru right now. Maybe the 2004 generation will be closer.
Old 14 Mar 2003, 16:37 (Ref:536200)   #13
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To be fair to Burns and the Peugeot, he's been candid about how the car suits and how he's acclimatising to it without sounding like he's complaining about the car. Probably because he knows its by far the quickest out there.

He says he can't throw it around like a bigger car, but in the context that that's what he's been used to with the Subarus and Mitsus, rather than a complaint about the Peugeot. He also said he struggles to find a comfortable driving position, because he sits further back than Gronholm and likes to stretch out more - not easy for anyone who's 6' 3" in a 206...
Old 15 Mar 2003, 09:07 (Ref:536740)   #14
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yeah, but Gronholm is a few inches TALLER than Burns! He seems to cope rather well. I remember Gronholm complaining at first but then he just got on with it.
Old 15 Mar 2003, 12:29 (Ref:536883)   #15
groulsch
Rookie

United Kingdom
Reading
groulsch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

to be honest i cant stand burns. all he ever does is winge. He can never accept defeat and trys to blame it on the car or some other driver. He never deserved to win the championship with only one rally win in 2001.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 16:23 (Ref:539078)   #16
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins
Yeah, but Gronholm is a few inches TALLER than Burns! He seems to cope rather well. I remember Gronholm complaining at first but then he just got on with it.
Which is why their driving positions are important - Burns sits back and likes to stretch out a little; Gronholm sits forward, hunched over the wheel like a giant hairy feutus... fuetus... foetus... foeutus... phetus... feotus