Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Aug 2005, 23:34 (Ref:1381623)   #1
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Safety car issues (Silverstone)

The way the safety car operated tonight was a joke, not picking up the leader, losing a number of cars heaps of time, being deployed for apparently no reason whatsoever - being called in for a lap and being deployed again. The traffic lights at the end of the pits seemingly had no logic to when they released cars it ruined the race really. I spoke to a few team members and they said they had no idea what was going on only that a numberof them had lost whole laps due to the dodgy deployment
Old 13 Aug 2005, 23:39 (Ref:1381624)   #2
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
rant pt 2:

When the lola spun at the restart and hit the wall under the footbridge it was daft. At the start line cars were being shown the green flag and yet 100m later there were marshals trackside trying to shift the Lola. Safety car should have been deployed immediatley but oh no they waited two laps with marshals on track then deployed the SC AFTER the Lola had driven off and the problem was solved!!! WTF was going on!
Old 14 Aug 2005, 07:57 (Ref:1381745)   #3
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
I think the whole race was a mess, including for the direction... fortunately, no damage for the persons, pilots, mecanics or marshalls (except if there was some not mentioned).

A marshall opinion would be greatly welcome...
Old 14 Aug 2005, 08:39 (Ref:1381759)   #4
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think chaotic and disorganised spring to mind. I really should not be hard to know the correct car for the safety car to pick up or see when marshals are on track and need the cover of the S/C.

It sometimes seemed that the Race director was unsure of the procdures he needed to use, surley that cannot have been the case.
Old 14 Aug 2005, 08:47 (Ref:1381761)   #5
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Why cant Alms and Lmes co-opperate . For example , adopt the pace car rules from the Alms and also the three id lights .
Old 14 Aug 2005, 11:07 (Ref:1381813)   #6
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
I suspect it may have been a BRSCC race director - after all did Brit GT not have these same problems last year
Old 14 Aug 2005, 11:32 (Ref:1381832)   #7
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hindy and Mark Cole were saying the race was directed by the BRSCC. IMO this explains a lot of the problems that we had yesterday, I'm sorry but the organisation was a farce! We coudn't have done anything about the weather but we could have done something about the safety car picking up the leader!
Old 14 Aug 2005, 12:07 (Ref:1381861)   #8
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Explains it all really - why do they not learn
Old 14 Aug 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1381865)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
LMES pace cars never pick up the leader for some reason - they've had the same problems at Spa and elsewhere
Old 14 Aug 2005, 13:53 (Ref:1381913)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
LMES pace cars never pick up the leader for some reason - they've had the same problems at Spa and elsewhere

I must admit I thought it was completely absurd. Especially on one SC deployment where it picked up the slowest car on the damned track - what was that #22 mobile chicane anyway?
Old 14 Aug 2005, 14:40 (Ref:1381934)   #11
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
what was that #22 mobile chicane anyway?
It was the Tracsport Tampolli AER V6, driven by Eddy Morris, Richard Jones and Del Delaronde. The car only completed 36 laps.
Old 14 Aug 2005, 15:23 (Ref:1381950)   #12
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
It had an ali chassis
Old 14 Aug 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1382020)   #13
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll not comment on the rest but the concept of picking up the leader is usually related to where the hazard is on the track, where the cars are and where the safety car is being deployed from. If there is an incident on track the best option is often to get the safety car out and get the race neutralised and THEN wave cars by to get them in the right order. Not neutralising the race just to wait for the leader isn't always a practicable solution.
Old 14 Aug 2005, 17:59 (Ref:1382037)   #14
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
true but they didn't wave through
Old 14 Aug 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1382039)   #15
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
true but they didn't wave through
What do the reg's say?
Old 14 Aug 2005, 18:08 (Ref:1382045)   #16
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The BRSCC regs probably say "as long as we get our schedule cup of tea and cake then we're not fussed what the safety car does"...

By the way - what were the last two safety car periods for? I imagine one was for the Saleen losing it's wheel - I was making my way all the way around the track in the last 2 hours so I didn't quite catch the reason for the final one.
Old 14 Aug 2005, 18:19 (Ref:1382052)   #17
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
The BRSCC regs probably say "as long as we get our schedule cup of tea and cake then we're not fussed what the safety car does"...

By the way - what were the last two safety car periods for? I imagine one was for the Saleen losing it's wheel - I was making my way all the way around the track in the last 2 hours so I didn't quite catch the reason for the final one.
Sorry Bob can't remember - I've got a feeling it wasn't for the Saleen though - I think something else happened at the same time? Perhaps the Lister off into the gravel at Luffield?
Old 14 Aug 2005, 18:54 (Ref:1382088)   #18
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They said something about (a) car(s) in the gravel just moments before the Saleen lost its wheel. So you're probably right
Old 14 Aug 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1382158)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
It had an ali chassis

....and a rubber band to power it?
Old 14 Aug 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1382183)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab
A marshall opinion would be greatly welcome...
Total shambles. On some occasions it was bad luck that the weather took a turn for the worse just as it came in, but I really don't understand why cars weren't waved past to get the leader to the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
By the way - what were the last two safety car periods for? I imagine one was for the Saleen losing it's wheel - I was making my way all the way around the track in the last 2 hours so I didn't quite catch the reason for the final one
First one was for car 6 in the gravel at the edge of the track at Luffield Out (right at my feet - two of us on post were doing a flag dance with SC board, double waved yellows and a waved white as the Saleen limped through at the same time as the pack arrived.) 25 went up the back of 17 in the confusion!

Second was for a car off at Luffield centre after contact with a Porsche who also spun off (#90?). Probably didn't need the car but for the overtaking going on. One car went around the outside of the backmarker only a few feet from where the marshals were working - very scary in the dark. It was reported, but I'm not aware anything was done about it. We would all have heard if it had been, I'm sure...
Old 14 Aug 2005, 20:39 (Ref:1382188)   #21
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Safety cars don't pick up the leader at Le Mans either, LMES is run to ACO rules so maybe that has something to do with it. Wherever the safety car picks up the pack is going to be to the detriment of many come what may. Given the extrordinary conditions the organisers did at least listen to the team managers (eventually) and send out the safety cars. Some of the holding at the end of the pitlane needs some explaining though, that nearly spoilt what turned out to be an incredible race. Could do with some lights around the back of the circuit though, the trip back to the car was "interesting....".
Old 14 Aug 2005, 21:01 (Ref:1382210)   #22
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by iucrmh
Some of the holding at the end of the pitlane needs some explaining though, that nearly spoilt what turned out to be an incredible race. .
As one of the marshals doing the holding at the end of the pitlane, we would have liked some clearer 'explaining' too....

Believe me, if YOU felt frustrated, it was nothing compared to how WE felt knowing that most people would be blaming us 'controlling' the pit exit for enforcing policy made elsewhere.

Neil Smith.
Old 14 Aug 2005, 21:13 (Ref:1382230)   #23
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The word 'Policy' may be giving it too much credit.
Old 14 Aug 2005, 21:13 (Ref:1382232)   #24
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
Erki has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What does that "holding" mean?
Old 14 Aug 2005, 21:30 (Ref:1382249)   #25
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
When a car is prevented from leaving the pit lane during a Safety Car period, in this case for a reason that wasn't made clear to the marshal doing the preventing.