Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 Dec 2008, 18:50 (Ref:2363443)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2008 - Your favourite Motor racing moments!

I suppose I went to at least 20 motor racing related events during the course of the season and I’ve been thinking of posting this for a couple of weeks but as it is now the last day of 2008, I thought I’d better get on with it. I’ll set the ball rolling but hope that some of you will follow suit. These are my personal favourites among many great moments at the events that I had the privilege to attend during the course of the year:-

1) March - Doing a few laps of Rockingham in my M6 amongst a load of elderly racing/trackday BMWs and modern Loti! With my eldest son, Kevin in the passenger seat, we had an absolute hoot (thank you John Wilcocks)
2) March – Simon Hadfield sticking the McLaren M10, oldest car in the race on pole in the HSCC Derek Bell Trophy race at Donington and then winning the race against newer and quicker cars
3) April - Group C test day at Snet, particularly the Shell liveried 962 and Momo liveried Nissan
4) April - Karl Wendlinger and Ryan Sharp winning the RAC TT at Silverstone in the Jet Alliance DBR9 – yes, I know it’s a modern event but GT cars do it for me, ancient or modern.
5) May - HSCC Autosport 3 hours Snetterton – a lovely event
6) June – Superb win for Stuart Tilley in Simon Hadfield’s Trojan T101 in the Derek Bell Trophy Race, his first race in an F5000. Can’t help thinking we should see him out more often.
7) July - Being taken for a run around the Suffolk Lanes in John Ruston’s Talbot 105 by Gareth Burnett – he wasn’t hanging about either; very exhilarating and great to look down on some startled occupants of modern tinware, others with big grins! (Thank you John and Gareth)
8) July - Martin Stretton (Spice SE GTP) and Justin Law (Jaguar XJR8) having a great dice in the Group C Sprint race at the Silverstone Classic. Martin won from an on form Justin.
9) July - The whole beautiful field of cars in the 90 minute race for World Sports car Masters on a truly stunning evening – again at the Silverstone Classic
10) August – Mad Morgan 3 wheelers racing with passengers aboard, at the VSCC Cadwell meeting
11) October – Great duel between Graeme Dodd (Jaguar 3.8 Mk II) and Dan Cox (Lotus Cortina) in the Bybox saloon car race at the HSCC Silverstone Finals. The Jaguar won
12) October - Great AMOC meeting at Donington the day after the above HSCC meeting, including the sight of Anthony Reid in the Marshplant Aston V8 and David Ellis in his GT700R side by side heading into the Old Hairpin.

In fact that weekend of the 18/19th October was, apart from the weather, probably the best motor racing weekend of the year for me, since the racing in the races at both meetings was, almost without exception, close and entertaining and the two events sandwiched a great evening with a fellow enthusiast.

I keep thinking that I've forgotten something and to be honest the list could be a lot longer but I have to stop somewhere. I have to say a big thank you to many racers/preppers/owners and fellow enthusiasts this year for their entertainment on the track and their hospitality off it. Many of them are fellow Ten-Tenthers, so it remains for me to say Happy New Year to you all and let’s hope that the recession doesn’t prevent us from continuing to enjoy historic motor racing during 2009 even though there is likely to be less of it.

Last edited by John Turner; 31 Dec 2008 at 19:02.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 19:11 (Ref:2363451)   #2
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Funny that John i was going to post up a new thread on these lines. Mine was probaly .
1 Jim telling me i can race the Westminster at the GP.
2 Having a full grid at Cadwell with FF2000.
3 Compte ringing me at Spa to tell me the Volpini had run well and he had gone quicker.
4 Been given a Toyota block for the March si i can race again next year.
5 Having a great race with Tel and Peter at Spa.
6 Having a great race with Simon Hadfied and his mate at Spa in sports 2000.
Now the Lows.
1 Compte pulling in the pits at Monaco with oil all over the footwell.in Volpini
2 Jim parked up at Abbey with a hole in the Galaxie block.
3 Only having 13 cars at Brands with FF2000.
4 Jim pulling into pits at Castle Combe with blown gearbox.
5 Following my customer at Spa and watching him blow engine to smithereens.
6 Getting stop go penalty at Spa in Delta while running right behind the leader.
Could go on but suspect im getting boring.
Thanks again to you all i do have a lot of fun on here. Happy new year.
Old 1 Jan 2009, 03:07 (Ref:2363552)   #3
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1. The number of F5000 cars at the Brands Hatch Superprix
2. First visit to Oulton Park for the Gold Cup and driving around the circuit twice, claiming I couldn't find my marshals post!
3. Watching the Sauber Mercedes go through the Craner Curves on my first visit to Donington, after we nearly lost the day due to the weather.
4. Getting to wave the chequered flag (Post 1 repeater) on my birthday, at the Silverstone Classic.
5. Being able to see down into the cockpits of the F1 masters as they went past post 24 at Brands.
6. Watching Lotus Cortinas, Minis, Anglias and Imps drift/slide round various corners at various circuits.
Thanks for a great year guys & girls and a happy new one to you all.
Old 1 Jan 2009, 12:03 (Ref:2363629)   #4
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
1 The Bo'ness Revival Meeting when competition finally returned to this historic hill and where I was invited to commentate.
2 Visiting the Silverstone Classic on the Friday practice day - got to see all the cars on track and in the paddock!
3 Visiting Shelsley Walsh for the Peter Collins meeting - HWMs, Ferraris, Massers etc - hillclimbing doesn't get any better!
4 The 500cc F3 racing car class at Loton Park - they are mad!
5 Three days at Race Retro soaking in the atmosphere.
6 Harewood and the June Classic & Vintage meeting.
7 Being invited to commentate at the September Shelsley Walsh week-end.
8 Gurston Down August Bank Holiday meeting and seeing the best Sports Libres in hillclimbing - the Mannic, the Gould-Puma, the Spa-Judd, the twin-engined Force and two MG Metro 6R4s.
9 Cadwell Park and the final round of the British Sprint Championship - the top two started the day 2 points apart and the battle went down to the very last run of the day!
10 Stewart Robb Junior breaking SIX outright records - whilst en route to the British Sprint Championship - all of which were at venues he hadn't seen before.

2009 will have to be extra special to beat that!
Old 1 Jan 2009, 12:27 (Ref:2363642)   #5
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
Funny that John i was going to post up a new thread on these lines. Mine was probaly .
1 Jim telling me i can race the Westminster at the GP.
2 Having a full grid at Cadwell with FF2000.
3 Compte ringing me at Spa to tell me the Volpini had run well and he had gone quicker.
4 Been given a Toyota block for the March si i can race again next year.
5 Having a great race with Tel and Peter at Spa.
6 Having a great race with Simon Hadfied and his mate at Spa in sports 2000.
Now the Lows.
1 Compte pulling in the pits at Monaco with oil all over the footwell.in Volpini
2 Jim parked up at Abbey with a hole in the Galaxie block.
3 Only having 13 cars at Brands with FF2000.
4 Jim pulling into pits at Castle Combe with blown gearbox.
5 Following my customer at Spa and watching him blow engine to smithereens.
6 Getting stop go penalty at Spa in Delta while running right behind the leader.
Could go on but suspect im getting boring.
Thanks again to you all i do have a lot of fun on here. Happy new year.
Delta - have you already forgotten the changing room incident with an Italian Stanguellini driveress? Was that a high or a low?
Marcus
Old 1 Jan 2009, 12:57 (Ref:2363652)   #6
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Im on a yellow card Marcus. Lets here your moments then. Leave out getting a DQ at Snett because your engineer "who ever he was" adjusted the rear wing on the Modus.
Old 1 Jan 2009, 15:17 (Ref:2363680)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perhaps we should also have a thread for worst/most embarrassing moments -motor racing related of course!
Old 1 Jan 2009, 16:41 (Ref:2363700)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I'll stick to favourite in case there is another thread for worst or whatever!-

1. Racing at Spa for the first time, and in the dry!

2. Seeing James Paterson & Rick Bourne finish 4th in the BDRC race at Dijon in James's Eleven after we had rebuilt the final drive twice before the race in all that heat. Just proves that you should never stop trying to fix a problem while there is still time!

3. Entering 2 races on S'stone International- one on 'L's and one on Avons, and loving Bridge corner every lap.............

4. Watching Dan Cox in his Cortina come through Camp corner at Combe.

5. Watching the 330LMB win the TT at Goodwood.

6. Helping fix another competitors car and seeing them go on to finish their race without any problems.

7. Getting my new build to Snetterton in december for first test.

8. Meeting so many nice people at all the races!

Happy New Year to you all!

Mike
Old 1 Jan 2009, 16:50 (Ref:2363702)   #9
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Perhaps we should also have a thread for worst/most embarrassing moments -motor racing related of course!
Thats easy for me. My first race in my Modsports GT6 back in 77.Silverstone.Got called up to Cof C as i kept spinning at Becketts in qualafing then was so slow on first lap Sid came past me in the Jag.All this in front of all my old school chums who had come to see the next world champion.
Old 1 Jan 2009, 18:12 (Ref:2363724)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Since when has 2008 included 1977? I'm beginning to guess what your New Year's resolution was!
Old 1 Jan 2009, 19:22 (Ref:2363744)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Best: Actually getting my 1970 Camaro to finish a races at Pembrey after a season of trouble and some of the lads and their other halfs cheering me off the track when I finally got it home.

Worst: Turning same yellow Camaro into the Silverstone pit wall on the opening lap of qually at the WHT and the embaressment of not being able to get out as the doors were jambed!
Old 2 Jan 2009, 10:52 (Ref:2363978)   #12
99hjhm
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Internet
99hjhm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only a few...

2nd Group C race at Silverstone Classic..... What was Justin Law doing????

Oh year, how could I forget the Mazda.... Standing on the pitwall with thatgoing past..... 10/10.

Reid and David Ellis, AMOC donnington...... Faster than any British GT cars, and that passing move, WOW!
(Funny though when in practice Reid chucked the car off at Redgate in the gravel.... Mr Marsh was not impressed!!

Brundle at the Goodwood Revival in the E-Type... Does he know what those cars are worth???
Old 2 Jan 2009, 17:22 (Ref:2364140)   #13
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
Lets hear your moments then. Leave out getting a DQ at Snett because your engineer "who ever he was" adjusted the rear wing on the Modus.
Memorable moments in 2008 – I have one for each car I drove:

Merlyn Mk20 – Killarney, Cape Town – Feb 2008.
Last lap in wet doing a Villeneuve/Arnoux with Alan Baillie ending with both of us having a rallycross type sprint along the grass to the flag (AB just pipped me!).

Lotus 24 BRM – Monaco – May 2008

Best:
1. Going around Rascasse on the slow down lap having finished 5th and being waved to the podium instead of into the pits as the 2 cars ahead had been disqualified!
2. Passing AB into Mirabeau – sweet revenge!

And worst:
1. Hassle at scrutineering – hassle each day trying to walk through the pit lane and into the paddock past those obnoxious officials in blue. Having to pay 3200 Euro for the privilege of being pushed around!

Brabham BT2 – Lurani championship

Best:
1. 19th to 4th at Nurburgring Oldtimer after breaking a half shaft in qualifying
2. Brands Hatch Superprix – huge FJ field and fantastic sprint to the finish

Worst:
1. Engine block failure at start of first qualifying lap for the Silverstone Classic – having to complete it just to get a time (7 reserves!) with oil pouring out all round the track! And then finding it was not repairable anyway.

Modus M1
Best:
1. Leading two laps at Snetterton race 1 on the car’s home track. Before the leaders caught me from the back of the grid.
2. 5th at Brands Hatch Superprix – strong contender for the best track in the world award!
3. Passing Jaime Algersuari at a pre-season Silverstone test!
4. Completing a whole season without mechanical incident, with a car that had not raced for 30 years!

Worst:
1. Getting a DQ at Snett race 2 (as above)
2. Spinning THREE times at Brands Indy in September

Marcus

Last edited by Marcus Mussa; 2 Jan 2009 at 17:26.
Old 2 Jan 2009, 17:53 (Ref:2364147)   #14
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
You were supposed to leave that one out.Funny how Mr Baillee never mentioned your overtaking manouver at Monaco.
Old 2 Jan 2009, 18:07 (Ref:2364154)   #15
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Having 3 class wins in the last 4 races I did last year. Now its time to hang up the old crash hat and save some money for my next phase in life !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Jan 2009, 18:31 (Ref:2364157)   #16
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah,ok Gordon,now lets wait and see.
My fav moment was in the last two races having the Fiesta run on all four for the whole race,pity I didnt keep the oil in the sump.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 3 Jan 2009, 08:16 (Ref:2364361)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
Having 3 class wins in the last 4 races I did last year. Now its time to hang up the old crash hat and save some money for my next phase in life !
I'm not going to tell you again,ITS NOT ALLOWED!!
Old 3 Jan 2009, 09:57 (Ref:2364387)   #18
free-litre-v6
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lakenheath, Suffolk, where else!!
free-litre-v6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
East Anglia Racers

7. Getting my new build to Snetterton in december for first test.

8. Meeting so many nice people at all the races!

Mike[/quote]

Mike, i mean't to contact you earlier in the year, being a local and all that, was it yourself that owns a mk1/2 escort?

happy new year regards mark (grp 1 esso capri)
Old 3 Jan 2009, 10:03 (Ref:2364391)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
You have tested it then Mark, what did it go like?
Old 3 Jan 2009, 12:14 (Ref:2364453)   #20
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
As a reply could be well off thread I'll pm to #18 ! Dont want to get a yellow card this early in my career

Mr Mod, This is a 2008 low point-
Al, assuming you meant Mike & not Mark (otherwise ignore me), first test went really well- failed noise test but still ran. (105db Track day) Only had wets and of course was dry so tippy-toed round. Some work to do on suspension settings, I think. However, engine now out and going back to Mr Wilcox as an installation problem may have caused some internal damage. I could be spending my 2009 budget before we get to race........
Old 3 Jan 2009, 12:44 (Ref:2364458)   #21
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
No sorry Mike it was Mark's V8 capri project I was asking about and you are right off topic slapped wrist sorry guys.
Old 3 Jan 2009, 12:51 (Ref:2364463)   #22
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Mike, no good moments in the Gilbern, then, or am I imagining seeing that at Snet?
Old 3 Jan 2009, 13:03 (Ref:2364473)   #23
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Mike, no good moments in the Gilbern, then, or am I imagining seeing that at Snet?
John, post #8 points 1 & 3 refer to Gilbern. Sorry to Snett but Spa little bit more special.
Old 3 Jan 2009, 13:08 (Ref:2364479)   #24
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Sorry Mike, memory fade! As soon as I typed it, I thought 'hang on, he meant the Gilbern'! My reference to Snet was merely that I saw it (and you), there!