Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Jun 2022, 04:41 (Ref:4117394)   #1
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hardcore Racers.

Watching the Sensational Sierra DVD, and they cover the 1989 Symmons Plains ATCC round.

It is mentioned during the telecast that Jim Richards, a young Bradley Jones and Terri Sawyer all competed at the Thunderdome on the Saturday night. I think Jim may have won the main race, as part of Melbournes Moomba celebrations.

I suppose in those days they would have qualified on the Saturday afternoon, catch a commercial flight or private charter flight to Melbourne and return Sunday morning to Symmons Plains, for final practice and race.

Interesting times.
Old 29 Jun 2022, 11:39 (Ref:4117436)   #2
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Years ago it was common for drivers to compete in multiple forms of motorsport just because they enjoyed it. I doubt if today's drivers would even think about doing a rally on Saturday night or even a hill climb on an off Sunday. My car club held a night hill climb at Amaroo and Kevin Bartlett accepted an invitation to drive provided we supply the car which of course we did.
Old 29 Jun 2022, 16:26 (Ref:4117495)   #3
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Years ago it was common for drivers to compete in multiple forms of motorsport just because they enjoyed it. I doubt if today's drivers would even think about doing a rally on Saturday night or even a hill climb on an off Sunday. My car club held a night hill climb at Amaroo and Kevin Bartlett accepted an invitation to drive provided we supply the car which of course we did.
Wow, a night hillclimb at Amaroo, that would have been a challenge.
Old 30 Jun 2022, 10:50 (Ref:4117571)   #4
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Watching the Sensational Sierra DVD, and they cover the 1989 Symmons Plains ATCC round.

It is mentioned during the telecast that Jim Richards, a young Bradley Jones and Terri Sawyer all competed at the Thunderdome on the Saturday night. I think Jim may have won the main race, as part of Melbournes Moomba celebrations.

I suppose in those days they would have qualified on the Saturday afternoon, catch a commercial flight or private charter flight to Melbourne and return Sunday morning to Symmons Plains, for final practice and race.

Interesting times.
The full telecast of Symmons 1989 featured both the NASCAR & AUSCAR races from the night before.

Jim did that in early 1995 as well. Qualified for the Winfield Triple Challenge in the GMS Commodore at Eastern Creek early in the day, flew to Adelaide to compete in the NASCAR race on Saturday night, flew back to Sydney in time to race the Commodore again on Sunday morning.

In both cases they missed to NASCAR qualifying and started those races off the rear.
Old 30 Jun 2022, 22:41 (Ref:4117642)   #5
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backagain View Post
Wow, a night hillclimb at Amaroo, that would have been a challenge.
We also ran one at Silverdale as well, generators and flood lights in the trees.
Old 2 Jul 2022, 02:42 (Ref:4117767)   #6
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Colin Bond was driving works rally car as well as touring cars, in both his HDT and his Moffat days. Was known to rally on saturday night and turn up at the track sunday.
Brock did some rallying too, and competed at Catalina rallycross, Moff did too.

And going way back F1 GP drivers often drove in multiple races on the same day or other races on non GP weekends.

I would love to see more of that
Old 2 Jul 2022, 12:54 (Ref:4117802)   #7
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Colin Bond was driving works rally car as well as touring cars, in both his HDT and his Moffat days. Was known to rally on saturday night and turn up at the track sunday.
Brock did some rallying too, and competed at Catalina rallycross, Moff did too.

And going way back F1 GP drivers often drove in multiple races on the same day or other races on non GP weekends.

I would love to see more of that
I was in a group discussion at the Southern Cross draw for start positions and someone asked Colin was he any faster than when he started rallying and he laughingly answered that no he wasn't but he was a hell of a lot safer. Colin started his professional (as it was in those days) rallying career in a Mitsubishi Colt and one night we were at Dignams Creek control at the end of a highway transport when he arrived complaining the paper trucks were quicker than the Colt down the highway.
Old 4 Jul 2022, 03:06 (Ref:4118101)   #8
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
SVG, mostert and others have had steers in Gt3 and Proddy bathursts as well as ATC, and even Lemans
Old 4 Jul 2022, 06:01 (Ref:4118116)   #9
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
SVG, mostert and others have had steers in Gt3 and Proddy bathursts as well as ATC, and even Lemans
In SVG's case throw in a handful of rallies both ARC and an outright win at the NZ Far North Rally last weekend .... with an entry for WRC Rally New Zealand in September still to happen.
Old 5 Jul 2022, 20:31 (Ref:4118368)   #10
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Overseas I know, but I was always amazed that drivers could run in the Indy 500, fly an hour to Charlotte and then run in the 600mile NASCAR race that evening.

In 2001 Tony Stewart ran 6th at Indy then flew to Charlotte and ran 9th.
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 11 Aug 2022, 08:33 (Ref:4122504)   #11
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Gerhard Berger ran the Bob Jane Group A BMW in the support races at Adelaide one year so up til his retirement held the Most race starts by an F1 driver at Adelaide title as you could count the Group A races as well