Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 2 Jul 2003, 00:01 (Ref:649089)   #1
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Truth With Robin Miller

Tune in tonight to listen to The Truth With Robin Miller...starts in 2 or 3 minutes. From 8:00pm to 10:00pm EST. The guests are Scott Dixon and Derek Daly.http://www.espn950.com/
Old 2 Jul 2003, 00:14 (Ref:649092)   #2
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you post the good bits here. I'm at work and have a firewall blocking the fun. Thanks.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 00:38 (Ref:649108)   #3
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
They are saying that Memo Gidley deserves a ride with a good team in CART (Rocketsports?), but he won't lower himself to take a ride with Dale Coyne Racing.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 00:50 (Ref:649112)   #4
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Robin says to Scott that the IRL can't be to happy with his domination in the last 2 or 3 races (Dixon has led the last 290 laps).

Scott said the IRL may not like it because they would like tighter competition, but he and his team are very happy with how well they are running.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 01:15 (Ref:649123)   #5
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
I'm all ears Dov, thanks for the posting.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 01:55 (Ref:649141)   #6
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
A caller asks Robin if ASTJ can get their hands on a Lola chassis before the year is up. Robin said he was recently talking to Stefan and they (ASTJ) don't think they will have the funds to do it. Robin also said that ASTJ are running the oldest Reynard chassis.

They can't get a hold of Derek Daly, so they are ripping him up (some pretty funny stuff).

They are also discussing if Scott Dixon will soon get a test drive in a F1 car or will he come back to CART first.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 02:16 (Ref:649147)   #7
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Dixon situation is an interesting one, if he has F1 aspirations he needs to get back to road racing soon. Another year in the IRL may kill him.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 02:54 (Ref:649160)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dixon's a nice chap, and wasn't too slow (wasn't too fast either though) - hopefully he can get back to road racing. I'd hate to see his career wasted.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 2 Jul 2003, 19:13 (Ref:649993)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dixon is going to make money one way or another....he's fast in the IRL...it is not necessarily a waste of his talents or his career...

but either way, I see him ultimately running in F-1...I just hopwe he doesn't end up with a bad team that will be a waste of his time over there...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 2 Jul 2003, 19:19 (Ref:650000)   #10
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Too true Tim. I'm not certain he's F1 material though...at least if he is, it wasn't shown in Cart. I'd like to see him come back to Cart to see what he can do, but you're right he'll make money either way. He's marketable.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 2 Jul 2003, 19:27 (Ref:650009)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personally, I'd like to see him back in CART as well...I think that series will be more important toward developing his overall potential and will allow him to grow and mature as a driver....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 2 Jul 2003, 20:41 (Ref:650149)   #12
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
Scott said the IRL may not like it because they would like tighter competition, but he and his team are very happy with how well they are running.
Reminds me of Mark Donohue's assessment of the Porsche 917/30 program - he knew it was killing Can-Am, but couldn't stop himself, because he had so much invested in the program, and it was more important to him than the series. Plus, he was about to retire from racing, so he figured Penske would just continue without the Can-Am (and we all know he was right).

Ganassi doesn't care about the series in the long term - he cares about the team long term. He's got irons in a few fires, and makes his money in whatever series is available to him.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 2 Jul 2003, 20:55 (Ref:650180)   #13
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bet the IRL would rather see Sam Hornish dominating...
Old 3 Jul 2003, 11:41 (Ref:650724)   #14
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who cares what the series organisers think? If a car/driver/team is superior enough to the opposition to win by a lap on merit, then what is the problem with them winning by a lap?
Old 3 Jul 2003, 11:47 (Ref:650738)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'd be interesting to hear what Dixon would say when he got out from under Ganassi's thumb. If he ever does.
Old 3 Jul 2003, 12:35 (Ref:650806)   #16
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bill France Sr (and Jr, for that matter) would tell you what the problem is with a car winning by a lap. It's showbidness, baby. And that's who TG idolizes.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 7 Jul 2003, 07:56 (Ref:654475)   #17
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
From AutoSport.com:http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=23729&s=5

Johansson seeks test for IRL ace Dixon

IRL star eyes his F1 chance

Dixon is the form man of the US-based IRL series

Former Ferrari and McLaren Formula 1 star Stefan Johansson, the agent of IRL IndyCar Series driver Scott Dixon, is seeking an F1 test for the New Zealander – but Dixon himself says he hasn't spoken with any F1 teams.

Speaking after he won the pole on Saturday for the Kansas Indy 300, Dixon confirmed his interest in F1, but also indicated a test would have to be approved by his IRL team owner, Chip Ganassi, and likely would have to wait until the end of the season.

"It's obviously something I'd love to do if the opportunity comes around, but it's going to have to be the right thing," Dixon said. "I don't think Chip is going to let someone go to a ****ty team."

Dixon said Johansson is pursuing possible F1 tests, but that rumours of Dixon leaving the IRL for an F1 ride are somewhat premature.

"I'm sure Stefan is talking to teams; that's his job," Dixon said. "As of right now, we're not planning to do anything. If the opportunity comes, we'd love to do a test at the end of the year. Then again, it's up to Chip."

Dixon, a 22-year-old Kiwi, has won three of the first seven IRL races this season. His expertise in road racing and connections with Toyota and Ganassi have led to persistent rumours about a future in F1.

"A lot of it is just talk," Dixon said.

P.S. I think that Dixon should drive for his agent's team (ASTJ) for a couple of years before he thinks about diving into F1.

Last edited by Dov; 7 Jul 2003 at 08:00.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 12:18 (Ref:654709)   #18
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
To be honest, I don't really see Dixon as a major F1 talent... he was good..maybe Dario Franchitti or Michael Andretti good, but nowhere near Jacques Villeneuve or Juan Montoya good. He could do very well back in Cart though.