Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 7 Nov 2010, 20:10 (Ref:2786627)   #1
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quebec Indy

As some of you may have heard, Edmonton is being pulled off IndyCar's schedule for next year.

Some other cities are being eyed, including Quebec. So I thought I'd jump ahead of the game and have a crack at designing a street circuit meself.

Its not perfect, but upon further measurement I think perfectly reasonable, especially for a series like IndyCar (I'm sure with F1 there would be problems)

Also bits of street furniture would have to be cleared away, as well as cars, trucks, whatever it is that takes up the car up coming out of Turn 1.

However, I'm not sure about some of the buildings relative to the racetrack. Parts of the race-track dart between buildings, but with plenty of room for track width, I think its a possible circuit.

But maybe I'm rubbing my own back here. Criticisms, changes, the lot, are welcome as always.

Link: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=...0a523&t=h&z=10

Track is clockwise.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 16:00 (Ref:2788633)   #2
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Uh, I see a lot of running through space that would be tough to get, but I like the location. Running right past a Honda dealer.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 17:04 (Ref:2788670)   #3
AFC-911
Racer

AFC-911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As someone who's lived in Quebec City, I wish the track was closer to the historic part of town...Not sure how that layout would have been since I'm having a tough time coming up with one.

Though, I keep having a mental image of race cars flying down Avenue Honore Mercier with the huge downhill elevation change!

Blvd Rene Levesque Est is a pretty wide road as well...
Old 11 Nov 2010, 23:48 (Ref:2788887)   #4
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NOTE: I wasn't able to get the link in the OP to work, so if this is similar/equal, I apologize in advance

I posted this a little while back in the Fictional Street Circuits thread. It's more Macau-like than suitable for IndyCars, but it would still be fun!

Quebec City (3.287mi, sort of like a French-Canadian Macau, LOTS of elevation change):
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3870589
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:11 (Ref:2790321)   #6
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFC-911 View Post
As someone who's lived in Quebec City, I wish the track was closer to the historic part of town...Not sure how that layout would have been since I'm having a tough time coming up with one.

Though, I keep having a mental image of race cars flying down Avenue Honore Mercier with the huge downhill elevation change!

Blvd Rene Levesque Est is a pretty wide road as well...

Well I'm having a crack at doing it this way too. Tricky but would be make it stand out from other street circuits!
Old 16 Nov 2010, 16:30 (Ref:2791685)   #7
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see that we might have a new street circuit on the calendar for next year. Quebec in particular looks like it may have potential to be the North American Monaco (read: narrow, hilly and twisty!)

When this was first mooted back in summer, as someone says around the historic old town/port, myself and xlr8r came up with some ideas in this thread:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123272

crozier74, 4.8km
Could also go via the Long Beach-style corner at Fountain de Tourny instead of along Blvd Rene Levesque Est. Am also assuming we could widen Av St Denis into the park a bit.

xlr8r, 2.4km
Nice and simple - I think somewhere halfway between our two designs could work quite nicely

Duff's extension out further west is also interesting - I think it could work well but for the 1.9km straight! Break it up with a run around the block at the Place de la Gare gardens and I think you might be on to something. Besides that issue, as AFC-911 mentions, the run up and back down the hill of Avenue Honore Mercier could be pretty cool - the only concerns would be that it's got lots of brickwork, and also if they could make it around the hairpin at the end (A1GP Beijing style).

Thanks for the photos Marc, awesome stuff! Apparently this is the layout they used for the FAtlantic races:
http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/racing...qu/Quebec.html

Anyone able to place that on a map? Also at 2.0km IMO it's a bit too short for IndyCar races.

The main issues appear to be the proliferation of ridiculously narrow and brick streets - trying to put together a full circuit while avoiding all of those is pretty tricky!
So I ride out to the old sundown