Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jan 2002, 19:03 (Ref:199681)   #1
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Button's socks

Johnny Herbert on Button (following Button's slagging-off of Eddie):
Quote:
"After an excellent first year he fell away badly and was regularly out-qualified by Giancarlo Fisichella, his teammate, last season. Jenson is one young man who really needs to pull his socks up if he is to have a future in the sport. He had a poor run last year and will have to do better this year."
Having a look at the testing times, seems he is taking things a bit more seriously this year. Great stuff - he's got one last chance in my books (and in Renault's too, I'd have thought).

I'm surprised Trulli isn't closer to him - but on the other hand his race-weight/set-up times were always dissappointing in 2001, compared to his rather excellent qualifying performances.

Possibly Button's poor 2001 season was made to look worse by Fisichella, who is giving Sato a hard time at the moment.
Old 16 Jan 2002, 21:13 (Ref:199817)   #2
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the reason Button looks so inconsistent is because of the drivers he's driven with. In my opinion, Fisichella is the most underrated driver in F1, and R. Schumacher is the most overrated. Button is good, but not as good as Fisichella, therefore less performance. I'd pick Button over R. Schumacher in terms of speed. This explains why Button was able to out-perform R. Schumacher towards the end of the 2000 season.
Also, testing times right now dont mean much.
Old 16 Jan 2002, 21:27 (Ref:199830)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
i think jenson will do better this season.he went to benny thinking he could give fisi a fright like he did to rafe (sorry rg!!!) but after out qualifying fisi 1st time out, fisi pulls his socks up and gives it jens with both barrels, this season jens won't think it's as easy and hence, pull his socks up!!!
Old 16 Jan 2002, 22:40 (Ref:199868)   #4
GasMan
Racer

GasMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish all the best luck in the world to Button. The kid really made an impression on me in his first season at Williams and to a certain extent some of his Bennetton performances were reasonable given the car he was in. Considering the driver he was paired with he did have a tough time. Imagine going from the speed and stability of the Williams to the relatively slow and chunky Bennetton. I sincerely hope he can put his foot down and take his 2000 and 2001 seasons as experience and hit a middle ground at least.
Old 16 Jan 2002, 22:53 (Ref:199875)   #5
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All of this comparison of teammates has just gone to show how good and under-rated Fisi is, as his performance at Spa last year emphasized. Eddie has already had to defend Taku's early season performances compared to Giancarlo's.

I think the jury is out a bit on Jarno so far. He qualifies well, but races inconsistently. This is now a make or break year for Jenson, David, Ralf, Rubens, JV, and Eddie, at the very least. There could be a major changing of the guard over the next couple of seasons. I wonder if Mika will find it easy to get back in? He's no spring chicken anymore.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 16:53 (Ref:249095)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by senna12

This is now a make or break year for Jenson
not going too bad so far! 4th place in the wdc....go jenson!
Old 1 Apr 2002, 16:59 (Ref:249098)   #7
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look back to Brazil and the fantastic clean dice he had with Montoya. And yesterday he defended his position, but never once resorted to a cheap block or swerve. He was passed by severl people and they had to work for it, but Jenson never treated them dirty or stepped out of bounds.

That is enough reason for me to admire him. A formula one driver's career (as well as life) is on the line every other weekend. That Jenson will not do something stupidly desperate when his career (in particular) is at such a critical crossroads shows me something I don't much of in some of in the established 'sportsmen."

Honor.

Last edited by Dr. Austin; 1 Apr 2002 at 17:01.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 17:17 (Ref:249114)   #8
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just think of Briatore's face everytime he goes to meat the top people at Renault. His "Trulli is as good as Fisichella" must not leave a place for embarrasment in his face.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 17:24 (Ref:249122)   #9
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jense has raced very fair and has gave us all much excitement !..he has my vote .
Old 1 Apr 2002, 21:41 (Ref:249377)   #10
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Last year Button could not get on with how the car handled. The Benetton team effectively told him to change his driving style to suit the car. It should work the other way round!

Anyhow, Jenson has had some input on this year's car and now he's doing well.. Go on my son!
Old 1 Apr 2002, 23:55 (Ref:249460)   #11
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I know I'll be attacked to death for this, but I think Frank missed the boat when he signed JPM and let Button go. We'll see how this pans out, but I am thinking in the long term, Jenson will have the better career. As for Giancarlo, he is another tragic victim of the evil Flavio Briatore.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 00:29 (Ref:249479)   #12
Daytona Donald
Rookie

Daytona Donald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
but I am thinking in the long term, Jenson will have the better career.
please explain why........jenson deserves to be in the williams, but not at jpm's expence, move over ralf!

when jenson was signed he knew that it would only be for a year as montoya was coming aboard, and montoya has made f1 exiting again, he is the only driver out there to take the fight to tgf, he maybe behind ralf (by a whole 2 points) at the moment but it will all turn around by the seasons end........mark my words!
Old 2 Apr 2002, 01:10 (Ref:249495)   #13
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
For one, Juan is 5 years older than Jenson. Secondly, I still consider JPM, though obviously talented, too much of a hot head. Brazil proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt for me. Especially with his recent "I'm gonna get even with Michael" comments.

Jenson didn't panic when things got tough last year, and has come through (so far) with flying colours. As for Ralf, I think he is WDC material, better than both JPM and Jenson.
Like I said, we'll see how it all pans out.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 01:31 (Ref:249504)   #14
LindaC
Rookie

LindaC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Notice that Fisichella isn't having any more success, speed or luck with Jordan than Trulli did.

I'm pretty sure that Trulli will have a more succcesful season with Renault than Fisi with Jordan.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 05:14 (Ref:249554)   #15
mariov
Racer

mariov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by senna12
I think the jury is out a bit on Jarno so far. He qualifies well, but races inconsistently. This is now a make or break year for Jenson, David, Ralf, Rubens, JV, and Eddie, at the very least.
I think Jenson will have a very good season, it might just be the opposite of the previous season...this might be the make or break year for Jarno.

Too bad Flavio did not keep Fisichella, I've always considered him very highly, and I think it was a mistake to replace him with Trulli.

Button has found the hunger he had in the first year, and the new Renault seems to suit his still more.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 05:31 (Ref:249563)   #16
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
I know I'll be attacked to death for this, but I think Frank missed the boat when he signed JPM and let Button go. We'll see how this pans out, but I am thinking in the long term, Jenson will have the better career. As for Giancarlo, he is another tragic victim of the evil Flavio Briatore.
no, frank should've let halfie go instead, then he wouldve had two proper racers in his team
Old 2 Apr 2002, 16:06 (Ref:250015)   #17
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jenson started with one of the best cars not having other experience. Then he tried one of the worst on the grid. Very good lessons! If he stayed in Williams he would never get over star disease. Now he know the worth of every effort and every second. I believe in future in F1.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 16:16 (Ref:250029)   #18
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Credit to him - that's one hell of a lot of hard work he's putting in. Fourteen more races at the same standard and he will have more than made up for the "iffy" start to 2001. To keep Montoya behind him like that was as much work as winning the race with the right car (bearing in mind that Montoya was in race-winning car).
Old 2 Apr 2002, 19:03 (Ref:250169)   #19
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RussianFriend
Jenson started with one of the best cars not having other experience. Then he tried one of the worst on the grid. Very good lessons! If he stayed in Williams he would never get over star disease. Now he know the worth of every effort and every second.
I think you are absolutely correct. Last year humbled him and I am sure it tried his patience.
Running in the top six from the start has to be a joyous change. I would say that there is hope for the boy yet.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 19:15 (Ref:250183)   #20
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See how the season develops, Rubinho and the Mclarens haven't scored much, and will Sir Frank lose patience with JPM? Probably not, but it'll be an excuse for Jens to return. On the other hand, would you want to get rid of Montoya?
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 2 Apr 2002, 19:54 (Ref:250230)   #21
BMW Power
Rookie

BMW Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Jenson.Poor fellow had to go through a miserable time last year but he has done what a good driver has to do and that is to fight on the cicuit.It was great to see him hold off Juan pablo Montoya in Brazil.Maybe Williams will sign Button to drive alongside Ralf Schumacher next year.It would be nice to have a German/British driver combination in a German/British team.