Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Oct 2005, 00:58 (Ref:1440231)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Spa in 2006?

Yet again Spa runs the risk of being excluded from the calendar (God forbid).http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns15826.html
Old 22 Oct 2005, 05:13 (Ref:1440274)   #2
Halsey
Racer

Brazil
Tasmania
Halsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'd be horrible if it was excluded, and while I don't know nearly enough to make an educated assertion, I'd say they'll still be going there next year... At least I hope that's the case
Old 22 Oct 2005, 07:42 (Ref:1440351)   #3
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They have been talking to the Grand Duchy de Luxembourg to have them sponsor the race (and rename it the Luxemburg GP) but that was turned down.

So hopefully some sponsors step in or it's the end of F1 at Spa.
Old 22 Oct 2005, 08:09 (Ref:1440369)   #4
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We can't have Spa disappearing again, it was bad enough in 2003 when it wasn't on the calendar. I hope it stays on the calendar, it will be sorely missed if it's not.
Old 22 Oct 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1440463)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Or Bernie could reduce the amount to be paid to the FIA by the promotors.

Oh, who am I kidding...
Old 22 Oct 2005, 10:22 (Ref:1440465)   #6
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where is the time that race series paid the circuits to race there
Old 22 Oct 2005, 10:29 (Ref:1440471)   #7
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Oh no, the eau rouge will be sorely missed if this is the case. I hope that someone is able to sponsor the GP there.
Should we tell Chelsea's boss so he might contribute himself??
Old 22 Oct 2005, 16:09 (Ref:1440665)   #8
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see why circuits should have to pay to host a race. F1 and other championships should pay the circuit to race there! Obviously that will never happen, but why should a circuit stump up $15 million or so to host a race?
Old 22 Oct 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1440734)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it will work out in the end. Well, I hope so!

To lose Spa would be an absolute catastrophe. Although I guess it will be moved aside one day anyways, to make space for a new-age muddle of long straights and tight, dull corners.
Old 22 Oct 2005, 18:35 (Ref:1440764)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89
I don't see why circuits should have to pay to host a race. F1 and other championships should pay the circuit to race there! Obviously that will never happen, but why should a circuit stump up $15 million or so to host a race?

Well, if circuits are prepared to pay F1 to come and race at them, why shouldn't it do that?
Old 22 Oct 2005, 18:37 (Ref:1440765)   #11
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spa is far, far too charismatic for modern day Formula 1! Would be such a shame to lose the place, but it wouldn't surprise me. All the great circuits will, eventually, disappear from F1. In fact, many already have. I await, with regret, to hear which Herman Tilke borefest will one day replace it...
Old 22 Oct 2005, 18:38 (Ref:1440766)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Either that, or Tilke will modify the existing circuit.

God that's frightening....
Old 22 Oct 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1440770)   #13
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
oh dear... introducing the Eau Rouge straight! followed by the blanchimont hairpin!
Old 22 Oct 2005, 18:42 (Ref:1440773)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

*shudder*
Old 22 Oct 2005, 18:46 (Ref:1440777)   #15
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Spa isn't the circuit it was back in 2000. They have been slowly nibbling away at it, lowering kerbs, tarmacing run off, and generally making it "safer".
Its still a fantastic circuit, but some of its appeal has been lost now that Eau Rouge, Pouhon, Les Fagnes, Blanchimont and the Bus Stop have all undergone revisions of some kind.
Old 22 Oct 2005, 18:57 (Ref:1440786)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

It has still remained largely unchanged, which is impressive considering.

Although I don't approve of the mods they have made, it could be worse.
Old 22 Oct 2005, 19:20 (Ref:1440802)   #17
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Yet again Spa runs the risk of being excluded from the calendar (God forbid).http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns15826.html
just a question about this article:

how much money do they need to repay to the local/municipal governments? it seems strange that the government would even make this a condition as it is well know fact that a f1 race can bring with it well over 100mill for local business and thus increased tax revenue for the government. ie. thats their return on their investment.
if anything the race promoters should get money from the local business community for bringing in so many visitors
Old 22 Oct 2005, 20:53 (Ref:1440840)   #18
safc_fan89
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
Spa isn't the circuit it was back in 2000. They have been slowly nibbling away at it, lowering kerbs, tarmacing run off, and generally making it "safer".
Its still a fantastic circuit, but some of its appeal has been lost now that Eau Rouge, Pouhon, Les Fagnes, Blanchimont and the Bus Stop have all undergone revisions of some kind.
I hate the changes made to it recently. With all the tarmac runoff areas there is no danger of getting it wrong. And really you can only crash at Eau Rouge now if it's wet. It's turning into a pussy's circuit in that sense. I don't care what people say, Eau Rouge is far less daunting than it was in the late nineties, and the whole of the track is.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 08:34 (Ref:1441073)   #19
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Makes the FIA poll on improve F1 a little pointless lossing one of thr the favorite tracks as voted by fans?
Old 23 Oct 2005, 08:36 (Ref:1441075)   #20
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IF every F1 fan paid $1 to keep Spa... it would almost work.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 08:48 (Ref:1441081)   #21
safc_fan89
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_sykes
Makes the FIA poll on improve F1 a little pointless lossing one of thr the favorite tracks as voted by fans?
That survey was pointless anyway as it's obvious that the FIA will not make changes based on what it revealed F1 fans really want.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 09:33 (Ref:1441117)   #22
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
IF every F1 fan paid $1 to keep Spa... it would almost work.
I`ll set a paypal account up, I dont mind having it in my name
Old 23 Oct 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1441529)   #23
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
I'd have to agree with you, safc_fan89 - I so frequently get very suspicious that the FIA simply doesn't care for the fans. In fact I don't think it cares for much other than it's own bank balance.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 20:27 (Ref:1441532)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The FIA is not normally reknowned for being a profit making organisation! Expecially as the regulatory side and the commercial side are actually separate and have to be under EU Law?

In addition is it the FIA that does the deals for the circuits? Is it their influence that drives which circuits are preferred?
Old 23 Oct 2005, 20:32 (Ref:1441539)   #25
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
Adam you know much more than I do! One example, though - I know they're planning on ditching it now but there used to be an entry fee for new teams coming into the sport? What did that money go towards? I'm not aware of the structure of the FIA, it just seemed to me like they had wallets to protect, and not ever so much else.

I'd like to be proven wrong on this one though so let your onslaughts begin! lol