Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 28 Dec 2018, 10:30 (Ref:3872771)   #1
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Yesterday and Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Who is everyone's favorite for the D24?
With wonderful BoPing, I find it hard to predict anything, which is it's purpose, orchestrated thrill.
Without, however, and still, just offhand, I wouldn't bet against a Cadidliac, their record being what it is.
(Since 2013, 18 of a possible 30 top 5s and 12 of a possible 18 podiums)
Maybe it's time to BoP somebody different into the club, eh?

I'm so excited. I await the 24 with bated breath. (as in not.)

jimclark
Old 7 Jan 2019, 04:50 (Ref:3874391)   #2
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
With wonderful BoPing, I find it hard to predict anything, which is it's purpose, orchestrated thrill.
Without, however, and still, just offhand, I wouldn't bet against a Cadidliac, their record being what it is.
(Since 2013, 18 of a possible 30 top 5s and 12 of a possible 18 podiums)
Maybe it's time to BoP somebody different into the club, eh?

I'm so excited. I await the 24 with bated breath. (as in not.)
Just a friendly reminder when everything current is disparaged in the name of the "good ole days", here's an example of the "good ole days" that put 2012 Sebring combined event with their podium ceremonies still going on, etc... to shame:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/resu...966-03-26.html

That's 10 classes for a 64 car field. Are they done with those podium ceremonies yet?

And lest anyone bemoan the "Cadillac parade" that is sort of forming in dp righr now, I give you this:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/resu...987-03-21.html

Top 6 in gtp and 6 of top 7 overall were Porsche 962's.

I post this to just point out that every era has its flaws, but are all usually remembered with rose tinted glasses. And to say that it seems as if people are playing their "roles" on here more strongly, which is devolving conversations into the extreme, black/white viewpoints that plague most places.

I'm not excited about bop determining anything this year, but I will enjoy the racing as it is, knowing that in 20 years we will probably look at this era as a pretty cool period.

On the dp front, is anyone else concerned that 3 of the four manufacturers are Japanese? Not to be dark or anything, but a natural disaster severely damaged a sports car program previously. Is it not worrisome that something like that could knock out half the dp field ajd create an actual cadillac parade? Would be nice to see a manufacturer from a different region join in.

Last edited by RWill2073; 7 Jan 2019 at 04:56.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 05:13 (Ref:3874392)   #3
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I post this to just point out that every era has its flaws, but are all usually remembered with rose tinted glasses.
And the politics was just as important all through the various “Golden Ages.”

Quote:
I'm not excited about bop determining anything this year, but I will enjoy the racing as it is, knowing that in 20 years we will probably look at this era as a pretty cool period.
I came to the same conclusion not too long ago.

I Really dislike the primacy of BoP …. In fact, when the merger was first announced, Scott Atherton and Scot Elkins said they wanted there to be Zero room for innovation in the rules … and I knew we were doomed. They are businessmen and they see racing as “sports entertainment.” Grand Am was the same way … I had hoped ti would change with the merger, but the culture of control won out.

So … my choices were to give up on racing … or to enjoy it for what it did offer.

A sports car screaming around the banking at Daytona or struggling for grip exiting Turn Five at Sebring, are the same whether I am watching historic racing or single-make series or LMP3 or whatever. Good driving is still good driving. 200 mph is still fast.

Quote:
On the dp front, is anyone else concerned that 3 of the four manufacturers are Japanese? Not to be dark or anything, but a natural disaster severely damaged a sports car program previously.
yeah … if only we could get, say, a German automotive giant involved.

Quote:
Would be nice to see a manufacturer from a different region join in.
Mazda, Honda, and Nissan have factories in the U.S. and even if Godzilla Does lay waste to Japan, they could keep up with their racing programs. Toyota runs its sports car program out of Germany, I believe. Dallara is Italian but has a factory in Indiana. Oreca and Oak are French, and who knows where they have factories.

We would need a whole suite of earthquakes, tornadoes, meteors, and giant monsters to stop sports car racing.

Quote:
Is it not worrisome that something like that could knock out half the dp field ajd create an actual cadillac parade?
Sorry, but that is going to happen anyway.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 17:20 (Ref:3874510)   #4
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Just a friendly reminder when everything current is disparaged in the name of the "good ole days", here's an example of the "good ole days" that put 2012 Sebring combined event with their podium ceremonies still going on, etc... to shame:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/resu...966-03-26.html

That's 10 classes for a 64 car field. Are they done with those podium ceremonies yet?

And lest anyone bemoan the "Cadillac parade" that is sort of forming in dp righr now, I give you this:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/resu...987-03-21.html

Top 6 in gtp and 6 of top 7 overall were Porsche 962's.

I post this to just point out that every era has its flaws, but are all usually remembered with rose tinted glasses. And to say that it seems as if people are playing their "roles" on here more strongly, which is devolving conversations into the extreme, black/white viewpoints that plague most places.

On the dp front, is anyone else concerned that 3 of the four manufacturers are Japanese? Not to be dark or anything, but a natural disaster severely damaged a sports car program previously. Is it not worrisome that something like that could knock out half the dp field ajd create an actual cadillac parade? Would be nice to see a manufacturer from a different region join in.
I didn't - and still don't - care for whatever podium ceremony, it's the race that counts and it was epic! Especially witnessing it in person. If you haven't, you should try and get to see the 12H for yourself!

Funny how you mention you "enjoy the racing as it is" but slash one of the most memorable races in recent history...
Old 7 Jan 2019, 20:03 (Ref:3874562)   #5
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I didn't - and still don't - care for whatever podium ceremony, it's the race that counts and it was epic! Especially witnessing it in person. If you haven't, you should try and get to see the 12H for yourself!

Funny how you mention you "enjoy the racing as it is" but slash one of the most memorable races in recent history...
Haha, I was at that race in 2012. It was awesome. I wasn't slashing it, just repeating one of the old jokes about that race that people complain about. Seems any time a new class is talked about, or a joint race with wec, that line is used. I remember reading the sebring race program about the older races with all the classes back them, like the one I linked, and couldn't believe that anyone was complaining about 2012. Much less when they would then yearn for the "good ole days".

I think I stayed for most of the podium ceremonies, too. (Might have left before they ended, ya know, to leave before dawn )
Old 7 Jan 2019, 23:55 (Ref:3874594)   #6
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 8 Jan 2019, 11:41 (Ref:3874712)   #7
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Remember when the old men got along with the clouds?

Pepperidge farm remembers.
Old 9 Jan 2019, 02:09 (Ref:3874857)   #8
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Remember when the old men got along with the clouds?

Pepperidge farm remembers.
took me a minute!!