Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 9 Oct 2005, 15:10 (Ref:1428474)   #1
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Tom Pryce - Death Crash - 1977

I though nothing in Forumla One history would ever bring me to be sick, but I have just seen the image of Tom Pryce (of Wales) being hit at top speed by a car. Barbaric.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 15:11 (Ref:1428476)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Got the M-Peg somewhere somewhere, seen it once, that was enough.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 15:13 (Ref:1428479)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tom Pryce wasn't hit by a car.

But I agree with Mr V.

I haven't watched the clip of it and never will.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 15:21 (Ref:1428494)   #4
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've recently seen the video, I downloaded it out of grim curiousity. (I don't like crashes but I've read so many stories I had to see it at least once) I watched it once, and deleted the file. I never want to see it again and I do not recommend it either. Its the most disgusting, awful, shocking, saddening thing in motorsport I have ever seen. It is unbelievably sickening.

Poor Tom and the marshall never stood a chance.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 15:39 (Ref:1428511)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I once saw it on a documentary once, completely unannounced.

I had read about it and certainly didn't want to see it. So much for that then...
Old 9 Oct 2005, 15:52 (Ref:1428525)   #6
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From GrandPrix.com

Quote:
Early in 1977 he was killed at Kyalami in a most bizarre accident when he was unable to avoid a fire marshal who was running across the track to attend to another car. The impact killed the marshal but the fire extinguisher he was carrying hit Pryce on the head. He was killed instantly but the car went on down the main straight and crashed into Jacques Laffite's Ligier at the first corner. Fortunately Laffite was not hurt.
Doesn't sound like something I want to watch.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 16:23 (Ref:1428563)   #7
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with maximus - thank heavens safety concerns increased because if that were to happen live on TV in a modern race... oh I dread to think. The most sickening thing I've ever seen. Only happen to see it out of pure curiosity (the same way as seeing the Gilles Villeneuve accident, also very sad), but as a result I don't download videos of F1 at all anymore.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 17:45 (Ref:1428636)   #8
sib668
Rookie

England
teesside
sib668 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say that video is one of the most shocking things i've seen and i have seen some very shocking things on the net. It is good to see how things have changed in the years since. ""if that were to happen live on TV in a modern race"" unfortionatly it almost did in 2003 but luckily our friends in orange where there to stop it.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 17:50 (Ref:1428642)   #9
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Myes, I too was unfortunately curious enough to have seen that footage...
Gruesome...
Old 9 Oct 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1428643)   #10
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw that too... Not nice at all, though part of F1's history, like it or not.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 08:26 (Ref:1429225)   #11
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would venture to say that its incidents such as this caught on film (another that comes to is the unfortunate mechanic killed on the start line in the mid 70s) that do force stricter safety measures, rules and regulations that stop thingslike this happening again.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 08:51 (Ref:1429266)   #12
Halsey
Racer

Brazil
Tasmania
Halsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah. A while ago I was looking through a list of F1 crashes and that one caught my attention. I downloaded it, watched it, and promptly deleted it.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 10:01 (Ref:1429352)   #13
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
another that comes to is the unfortunate mechanic killed on the start line in the mid 70s
I'm quite sure you are thinking about the start-crash during the 1981 Belgium GP at Zolder when Siegfried Stohr unsighted ran into the back of Riccardo Patrese's stalled Arrows, pinning mechanic Dave Luckett (who had jumped off the pitwall just seconds before the start) in between the two cars. Luckett wasn't killed though, and somehow escaped serious injuries.

Earlier that weekend, however, an Osella mechanic by the name of Giovanni Amedeo slipped on the pitwall and fell into the path of Carlos Reutemann's Williams, suffering critical injuries which he later died from in the hospital.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 11:30 (Ref:1429478)   #14
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The clip I saw that was taken from a documentary was done with a total lack of respect imo as well. It had an awful sound effect of a crunch that had been dubbed on when Pryce hit the marshall, and showing the after math of Pryce in the car was too far. I think the way it was handled was disgrace actually.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 11:36 (Ref:1429486)   #15
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
The clip I saw that was taken from a documentary was done with a total lack of respect imo as well. It had an awful sound effect of a crunch that had been dubbed on when Pryce hit the marshall, and showing the after math of Pryce in the car was too far. I think the way it was handled was disgrace actually.

I have watched the same clip. Never again.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 18:56 (Ref:1429923)   #16
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
There is an old movie called Pole Position, a sort of movie/documentary about motorracing from the early eighties where they show the crash as well.
Too bad they put in this crash and other crashes as for the rest there are some good scenes in it - The interview with Jody Scheckter where he accuses Mr. Ecclestone stands out.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 13:34 (Ref:1430718)   #17
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recall reading about Pryce's death and there was a driver, not Laffite, who said that he was passed by Tom after the accident as his car continued down the track.
He mentioned somehting about thinking that he'd not make the corner. Very creepy and sad. I do not think I would care to see the film.
Mike
Old 11 Oct 2005, 16:25 (Ref:1430862)   #18
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Passed?
Crashed into Jacques' Ligier at turn 1 would be more accurate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
That was the clip I saw, but I don't remember hearing the crunching sound effect.
Disgraceful indeed if that happened to be true...
Old 11 Oct 2005, 18:47 (Ref:1431021)   #19
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The one with the crunching sound effect is the one I saw. Distasteful indeed.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 19:16 (Ref:1431048)   #20
arthurive
Rookie

United States
Michigan, USA
arthurive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've seen the video.
The marshall was totally at fault. There was a car with a minor fire at the side of
the track. The driver of that car, was safe, standing outside of his car.
Two marshalls ran across the damned track to attend the car. The 1st marshall made it and the 2nd guy........didn't. He was struck by Pryce's car, and as the story goes, the fire extinguisher (carried by the marshall) struck Pryce in the head. Pryce and the marshall were killed instantly.
The whole episode was so damned unnecessary, and tragic.

We look back at some of the earlier days and wonder what in the hell was going through the minds of some people.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1431082)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Standards were of course much lower back in the day.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1431096)   #22
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An elderly friend of the family takes his daily constitutional through the graveyard in Otford where Tom is buried. Only last week I was telling my Dad the sad circumstances after he had been for a walk through there the day before and he was quite incredulous at the circumstances. One thing that puzzles me though is why a man so deeply intertwined with his Welsh roots should be buried in Otford. I can only suppose he lived locally at the time. Also was'nt his name something else in Welsh but he decided to be called Tom because his Welsh name was difficult to pronounce?

Although I find it immensely shocking to look at the clip and pictures I find it a salient reminder of what the men and women who took part in the sport went through to get to the relative safety we enjoy these days.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 20:50 (Ref:1431158)   #23
JEB
Veteran

JEB has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Time to rule this thread off I think.
For those who have seen the footage blank it out - for those who never have - don't.
This thread deserves to go no further. Let's not add any further posts.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 20:50 (Ref:1431159)   #24
ngdragon
Rookie

Wales
ngdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think his name was Maldwyn.

I was in Cardiff following a Wales v England Rugby International in a pub we saw the accident on the news. Totally stunned- I remember it touched al ot of lot of people that night and I don't think many were F1 fans in those days.

Tom could easily have been a multiple GP winner and even a champion with the right car and a bit of luck.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 23:28 (Ref:1431306)   #25
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thankfully I have not witnessed that accident and hopefully never will. Gilles death and the horrific crash by Greg Moore in champ car will forever be etched in my memory. Neither had a chance. Thank goodness that motor racing has come so very far when it comes to safety. For these guys to drive at such speeds in relatively safe circumstances is something we now take for granted... but knock on wood, it is never going to be 100 percent safe. They earn the big bucks!!
Closed Thread