Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 22 Feb 2003, 06:06 (Ref:513937)   #1
Apexx
Rookie

Apexx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nations Cup??

When I examine the qualifying results from St. Petes, it occurs to me that Americans are severely under represented (in numbers, not talent). Why are we not seeing more hot shoes from the U.S.A.? As a pure population ratio, if there are 3 canucks, there should be 30 Americans (based on population).
This needs to be addressed so that the series gets a greater thrust from a loyal patriotic fan base.

Just an observation.
Old 22 Feb 2003, 06:36 (Ref:513949)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very simple, American companies are not sponsoring drivers.

It's nearly impossible to get a company in North America to support racing. Racing is seen as a hobby here, not so much a profession as it is in South America and Europe. There are three Canadian drivers because Player's has been supporting Canadian drivers for years. If it wasn't for Players there's a good chance Tags and Pat would not be in the series, Greg Moore might never have gotten to Cart and possibly even Jacques Villeneuve in Cart and then F1 (he was nothing special 'til Players picked him up).

There are enough good American drivers aspiring to Cart to fill an entire grid. But, there's barely enough American sponsors to cover a single team...if that.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 22 Feb 2003, 06:46 (Ref:513955)   #3
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's very true, but NASCAR is very popular and that's why they have no trouble finding sponsors. Unfortunately, CART isn't as popular in the US because there aren't as many american drivers, and so sponsors aren't as interested, and they don't sign up as many American drivers. It's a vicious circle.

Speaking of PLAYERS, since this is their last year because of the tobacco laws, what's going to happen to Forsythe Racing? (Molson maybe?) It would be a shame to loose another one of CART's strongest teams, not to mention "Team Canada".

Dishwalla said it best, "We count only blue cars..."
Old 22 Feb 2003, 09:41 (Ref:513993)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Players won't even be able to show their livery at Fontana this year, as the Canadian ban comes into effect Oct. 1.

After signing PT for two years, I remember Forsythe saying that he had a major European sponsor (hopefully) lined up for 2004.
Old 22 Feb 2003, 10:00 (Ref:514007)   #5
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forsythe will be in CART in 2004, no doubt about that, we're not gonna lose them to the IRL

I agree the lack of American drivers is a shame. Herta, Gidley, or Fogarty for example would have fitted in nicely.

But personally, I wanna see an Aussie racing! Sure we had Bright in 2000 at Surfers, and Dixon (well he was BORN here...) until last year, but this year there's no Aussie representation

Hopefully Murchinson can get a Rahal deal for Surfers.
Old 22 Feb 2003, 10:11 (Ref:514012)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I think Pook wants an Aussie as badly as you do.
Old 22 Feb 2003, 11:12 (Ref:514050)   #7
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
macdaddy, I thought Players found a loop hole in the Canadian law by putting "Players.com" on the side pods, instead of the cigarette logo? No?
Old 22 Feb 2003, 16:36 (Ref:514193)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Not sure why they added the ".com" to the sidepods last year. But I do remember reading that Players will not be on the cars, in any capacity, at Fontana.
Old 22 Feb 2003, 19:51 (Ref:514290)   #9
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When Jaguar gets out of F1, Webber can come to CART.