Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 2 Mar 2015, 00:19 (Ref:3510515)   #2476
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
That would be significantly slower, because the wider rear wheels would destroy the low drag concept at the rear. A version like that probably couldn't keep up with a P2.
Really think so? 1000hp P1 couldn't beat a ~450hp P2 because of part of the design being a tad compromised?
Old 2 Mar 2015, 04:12 (Ref:3510567)   #2477
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Really think so? 1000hp P1 couldn't beat a ~450hp P2 because of part of the design being a tad compromised?
It's 1,000 HP for 1 1/2 seconds. Or 2 seconds. Or 1 second. We don't know. The rest of the time it's 500 HP.

It has more power than a P2 but it gives up some time in the corners. The whole point of the design was to have a whole lot of nothing at the back, so it could be kind of a teardrop shape as far as the air flow is concerned. Put some big tires on the back, losing a significant portion of that teardrop shape and all the compromises the design made to achieve that Holy Grail of ultra low drag kill the lap time of what's left of the design. It would also understeer like a pig.

It's a finely balanced machine. The original DW was as well, and the struggles the Panoz bunch has had getting performance out of it shows that Ben Bowlby has some pretty slick ideas, but execution is critical to making them work. The DW almost effected by how much the driver had for lunch!

This one won't be that sensitive, but mess with a key part of the concept, and it won't perform very well.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 04:28 (Ref:3510569)   #2478
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Its over 550hp minus the hybrid and weighs ~880kg. A couple more inches of tire wouldnt kill the concept, but maybe itd be less effective.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 04:52 (Ref:3510571)   #2479
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Its over 550hp minus the hybrid and weighs ~880kg. A couple more inches of tire wouldnt kill the concept, but maybe itd be less effective.
The front tires are 14" wide. The rears are nine. That's five inches more each. So "a proper all wheels same width" version would lose five inches out of the tunnels on each side, and five inches wider fenders on the top of the bodywork, and that would take its sliver arrow away, and leave the car with a bunch of bad compromises.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 08:10 (Ref:3510604)   #2480
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Max Chilton and Alex Buncombe have completed Nissan’s squad for the Nissan GT-R LM NISMO.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 09:16 (Ref:3510633)   #2481
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcl123 View Post
And there is a reason why the driver must have his knees so high... a 'firewall' (metal plate) between driver and engine... even so can be a problem in a front ugly crash, or if the engine blows up(wouldn't like to be the driver when that happens).
I would much rather be in the Nissan than in another LMP should something bad happen.
As a driver, you can see if the engines blows up, or burst into flames. That is not always the case with a rear engined car. Also the engine provides extra crash structure to the front, but with a chassis so stiff that the engine will break off instead of entering the cabin.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 09:23 (Ref:3510636)   #2482
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
Max Chilton and Alex Buncombe have completed Nissan’s squad for the Nissan GT-R LM NISMO.
Nice to see that consistency is still appreciated over raw pace (not that Max is slow), and that I'm not the only one that remembers a teenage Max in a prototype! Also delighted to see Buncombe make the jump to LMP1, but it will be interesting to find out what went on with Heidfeld who was the other potential driver with GT Academy links. So as far as we know the #21 will lineup with Matsuda, Ordonez, Buncombe and we'll find out where Chilton fits in the WEC cars at a later date.

That also rules out any more GT500 drivers like JPdO or Quintarelli. It's a shame for them IMO but it looks like Nissan wanted to keep them focused on Super GT/Super Formula.

Edit: Here's the customary video. For once, "ever since I was a little boy" actually means something!

Last edited by J Jay; 2 Mar 2015 at 09:32.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 09:52 (Ref:3510645)   #2483
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wasn't expect those 2 names, however I do remember being blown away by a 16 year old Max Chilton's speed when drove the Zytek with his brother at Silverstone a couple of years ago.

I also make that 4 Brit's in there driver line.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 09:58 (Ref:3510647)   #2484
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There we go then nine new LMP1 drivers confirmed.

I'd be very interested to see how closely this line-up matched with Nissan's wishlist. They've only actually added four drivers to their books. Okay having such a big stable of talent to fall back on does give you a safety net - but I don't think this is a line-up that will have their opposition particularly worried. Have they left their best guys in SuperGT?

That said, I'm very happy that they've given Al Buncombe a shot. He so often gets over-looked in the whole GT Academy fanfare. I don't particularly rate the notion in the press release that he's some sort of YouTube star. But they are looking for new/interesting hooks I suppose. Chilton will bring some good PR (and money?). Regardless of what you think of him another ex-F1 driver makes the WEC even harder to ignore.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 10:17 (Ref:3510653)   #2485
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Have they left their best guys in SuperGT?
They've left their best Super GT drivers in Super GT, that much is certain. The domestic championships are still of great importance to the big three Japanese manufacturers. Perhaps one of the two drivers mentioned was going to be announced but when Chilton (and his money) became available Nissan saw no need to split their focus/season. I know it's not exactly the same but Nakajima could have won another title last year had he been able to concentrate on two instead of triple-shifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
That said, I'm very happy that they've given Al Buncombe a shot. He so often gets over-looked in the whole GT Academy fanfare. I don't particularly rate the notion in the press release that he's some sort of YouTube star. But they are looking for new/interesting hooks I suppose.
That's motorsports' best PR outfit at work, you should be in awe ...

I'd give the press release a little more credit - they needed a notable achievement of sorts to highlight how good Buncombe is to those that won't have heard of him and his Monza opening lap fits the bill. Of course there's more to his skills, that's why he's been picked. But if you just want people to notice then you use what's popular nowadays.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 10:17 (Ref:3510654)   #2486
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm a bit disappointed if I'm honest. GT Academy drivers aside, there's absolutely no "wow" factor to the driver line up at all.

Don't get me wrong, some of the signings are very sensible. I was just kind of expecting them to pull a rabbit out of the bag.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 12:18 (Ref:3510695)   #2487
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Wasn't Nissan saying that they will try to lure away drivers from the big three?

That obviously didn't work out for them, they got Gene but in all honesty, he wasn't one of the first-grade guys at Audi. Other than that and the logical conclusion of finally giving Pla his P1 ride I feel like Nissan's lineup is lacking of both punch and P1 experience.

They will surely market the hell out of the whole GT Academy guys and the idea behind that but on track the choices will most likely cost them. I'm not sure if all this was a deliberate decision or if they couldn't get bigger drivers for some reason but if it was made on purpose it is another sign that Nissan ultimately values the PR aspect of the whole thing over the sporting side.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 12:29 (Ref:3510701)   #2488
Flem
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Flem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst this might not have the 'WOW' factor for some I see this as a big opportunity for a number of drivers to really make a name for themselves.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 12:58 (Ref:3510711)   #2489
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
First time we get a chance to see the front end of the tub with the engine removed:

(source: endurance-info.com)

Flywheel shaft entry at the bottom of the heat shielding?

Nissan seems to be very 'amateurish' in the way they work, for example the engine is just a heap on the floor with bits of tissue or cloth hanging out of inlets etc also on other photos I've seen wires and tools left around.

I do hope they have some sort of strategy and methods in the pit garage when racing.. Can see it been chaotic if the car comes in damaged at Lemans.

The 6 P's!
Old 2 Mar 2015, 13:17 (Ref:3510719)   #2490
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
About the "wow" factor, let's remember that Mr. Le Mans, Tom K, didn't have any particular wow factor when arriving at Audi
Old 2 Mar 2015, 13:26 (Ref:3510725)   #2491
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
About the "wow" factor, let's remember that Mr. Le Mans, Tom K, didn't have any particular wow factor when arriving at Audi
He was a Le Mans winner already and had raced for the BMW works squad in LMP900 for two seasons as well.

Bigger credentials then what 3/4 of the Nissan squad have to offer.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 13:39 (Ref:3510733)   #2492
Tedracing
Rookie

Tedracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Nice to see that consistency is still appreciated over raw pace (not that Max is slow), and that I'm not the only one that remembers a teenage Max in a prototype! Also delighted to see Buncombe make the jump to LMP1, but it will be interesting to find out what went on with Heidfeld who was the other potential driver with GT Academy links. So as far as we know the #21 will lineup with Matsuda, Ordonez, Buncombe and we'll find out where Chilton fits in the WEC cars at a later date.

That also rules out any more GT500 drivers like JPdO or Quintarelli. It's a shame for them IMO but it looks like Nissan wanted to keep them focused on Super GT/Super Formula.

Edit: Here's the customary video. For once, "ever since I was a little boy" actually means something!
I will go a little further and say that it was actually an strategic move from Nissan not placing Quintarelli or De Oliveira in the line up. They are their best two drivers and stars in Japan. Bringing them to P1 would do two things, distract their attention from Japanese racing, and also possibly make them targets for Audi, Porsche or Toyota. I mean, inflate their salaries...
Old 2 Mar 2015, 13:45 (Ref:3510736)   #2493
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Wasn't Nissan saying that they will try to lure away drivers from the big three?

That obviously didn't work out for them, they got Gene but in all honesty, he wasn't one of the first-grade guys at Audi. Other than that and the logical conclusion of finally giving Pla his P1 ride I feel like Nissan's lineup is lacking of both punch and P1 experience.

They will surely market the hell out of the whole GT Academy guys and the idea behind that but on track the choices will most likely cost them. I'm not sure if all this was a deliberate decision or if they couldn't get bigger drivers for some reason but if it was made on purpose it is another sign that Nissan ultimately values the PR aspect of the whole thing over the sporting side.
Cox made it pretty clear on MWM that they were after a couple of big names. It wouldn't surprise me if they were after Button. So I don't think it's a decision made on purpose.

Rumours and stories fly about and we've all heard about Nissan struggling initially. That, coupled with the fact the car is an unproven concept anyway, I can see why a lot of big names might be put off.

But let's set the record straight - Ordonez and Mardenborough are competent drivers, and with the rate of Jann's development, one of them might even be a very good driver. A lot of "big" names from other series have let manufacturers down before (Jacques Villeneuve, anyone?).

I'm disappointed that they haven't got a big name and Pla and possibly Tincknell aside, there's no one I'd say I'm on the edge of my seat to see throw the GT-R LM Nismo about in a qualifying session. But taking a step back, there's so much more to a driver roster than that. Peugeot made the mistake of going for ex-F1 drivers when they first came back and in the end, their greatest moment came at the hands of the more sensible of their three line-ups.

It's going to take more than a couple of GT Academy graduates (the two best ones) to convince me that Nissan haven't been anything other than sensible for a manufacturer in their first year.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 14:02 (Ref:3510747)   #2494
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
No. The drivers legs are high up because the flybrid system is housed underneath. The driver is so far back, a crash would hardly hurt him. They have crash structures for that reason. Not a firewall.
Really? Maybe you should ask a driver that was involved in a high speed (front end) crash that before putting out such a comment. I'm sure anyone you talk to would have been glad to change places with you (if they had the opportunity) and let you take the hit!
Old 2 Mar 2015, 14:17 (Ref:3510759)   #2495
Flem
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Flem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gingers4Justice I completely agree on Nissan playing a more sensible game with the driver roster, I'll be very interested to see whether they adopt a sensible game plan for Le Mans for at least one of the cars. If we have a race like last year then staying out of trouble and running clean could get a good result.

However obviously there are loads of 'ifs' and making a car last 24 hours at the required pace is going to be a challenge

I definitely hope the new car is competitive as is makes for some potentially mouth watering racing to come!
Old 2 Mar 2015, 14:20 (Ref:3510761)   #2496
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireLad View Post

Nissan seems to be very 'amateurish' in the way they work, for example the engine is just a heap on the floor with bits of tissue or cloth hanging out of inlets etc also on other photos I've seen wires and tools left around.

I do hope they have some sort of strategy and methods in the pit garage when racing.. Can see it been chaotic if the car comes in damaged at Lemans.

The 6 P's!
I think you see unconventional setups a lot in testing, and I kind of like it actually. I don't see it as amateurish, but sensible. It makes me think they are more down to earth, and no matter how extreme the machines are, it really just boils down to man and machine.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 15:00 (Ref:3510772)   #2497
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedracing View Post
I will go a little further and say that it was actually a strategic move from Nissan not placing Quintarelli or De Oliveira in the line up. They are their best two drivers and stars in Japan. Bringing them to P1 would do two things, distract their attention from Japanese racing, and also possibly make them targets for Audi, Porsche or Toyota. I mean, inflate their salaries...
I can definitely see that happening!

But Toyota will already know about RQ & JPdO (and be sick of the sight of both, for slightly different reasons!) so if there was any chance of pinching them I think it would have happened by now. While they may not be as well know to Audi & Porsche, those two teams already have bulging driver rosters to placate and we've seen one driver already jump factories to climb the prototype ladder that much quicker.

I think the main consideration would have been to keep Ronnie & João Paulo focused on the domestic series rather than keeping them away from the WEC.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 16:56 (Ref:3510813)   #2498
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I think you see unconventional setups a lot in testing, and I kind of like it actually. I don't see it as amateurish, but sensible. It makes me think they are more down to earth, and no matter how extreme the machines are, it really just boils down to man and machine.
Totally not surprising. Laying floor down takes time, and effort, no reason to bring it with unless you have the trailer room. They are also under a rented canopy.

This is obviously a one-truck operation for the test. They needed room for parts, and bodywork. I don't see a single issue with anything here.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 2 Mar 2015, 20:57 (Ref:3510908)   #2499
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Really? Maybe you should ask a driver that was involved in a high speed (front end) crash that before putting out such a comment. I'm sure anyone you talk to would have been glad to change places with you (if they had the opportunity) and let you take the hit!
What? I dont need to ask drivers to know the crash structures are there to handle the loads, not a firewall behind the engine. Ive been in an accident before in a road car nearly head on and was unharmed. They have crumple zones in front to absorb the energy. These race cars have even better materials and even higher standards. I think you misunderstood me. Hcl seemed like he was saying the firewall was there to prevent the engine intruding the cockpit on a collision. Then my reply was he'd be uninjured from the engine because of other safety features.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 21:14 (Ref:3510912)   #2500
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireLad View Post
That's possible, or it could actually be the output shaft supposed to lead from the flywheel unit to the rear drive train. I would love to see the other end of the engine to understand if the flywheel unit is directly attached to the rear face of the engine or possibly sitting behind that heat shield. According to the information released by Nissan, the flywheel unit is supposed to sit below the driver's legs in the "keel" section. That would mean that the flywheel unit should indeed be located behind that heat shield.